Jump to content
Poweramp

Recommended Posts

Hello.

When I chose some category (one artist or genre or folder or whatever) and try to shuffle JUST this "selected category" 

it plays me different songs from dofferent other categories (there were no such problem in a previuos version).

Alse the whole shuffle itself works not good. If I have in a shuffled "playlist" for example 1000 songs, I can hear 

few of them 2-3 times during day, but some of them would not be played for a long long period.

Can it be somehow build like if you shuffle one category it builds playlist and already can see all song order.

Thank you!

 

Also have problem: I have some songs, I can see them if go to artist all songs, but cant find them in "search".

There were just few examples, but they still are. Thank you!

 

Galaxy S9+, last official version of APP, purchased on web page

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shuffle still a problem for me. I shuffled all yesterday, listened for a while, left the app with the counter at 23/167 then I come back to the app today and the counter is reset back to 1/167. It's highly frustrating

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A rescan will reset any shuffle ordering, and that is probably what is happening. It will still be random though, you just might hear a song that you heard yesterday again. Try turning all of the automated scanning options in Settings > Library > Scanner, and see if that stops the shuffle order from resetting.

Andre

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, but I just turned off all automated scanning options and tested by swiping through to a random track in the counter, then I exited and force closed, then reopened and it did reset back to 1/167. This was never an issue on previous versions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why did you Force Close the app? I wouldn't be at all surprised at a shuffle list getting reset after that (like a reboot).

Andre

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry, to be clear I just did that to recreate the issue. Previous versions would hold the position of the track where I last left it even after the phone had been restarted. I appreciate everything you're saying but this is definitely a problem that affects my experience to the point where PA is unusable and it has definitely been happening since the first alpha of the new version.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, darktheory said:

Sorry, to be clear I just did that to recreate the issue. Previous versions would hold the position of the track where I last left it even after the phone had been restarted.

The playback position within the current track is saved even through a reboot. However an entire randomly shuffled list of potentially thousands of songs is not saved, and never has been as far as I'm aware. However by the nature of random, it will still play you a random song after a reboot, created in a newly shuffled list. I can't see why that makes PA "unusable"?

Andre

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree, that's what it's supposed to do, but it isn't. I never had to worry about listening to the same song in such a short space of time on previous versions and that for me makes it unusable. I don't know when PA lunched exactly but I paid for it in Dec 2010 and only now in 2018 I'm not getting the same great experience I had for so long. I'm not doing anything different. Hopefully it gets sorted out soon. I'll still keep it on my device and update it to see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, darktheory said:

Agree, that's what it's supposed to do, but it isn't. I never had to worry about listening to the same song in such a short space of time on previous versions and that for me makes it unusable. I don't know when PA lunched exactly but I paid for it in Dec 2010 and only now in 2018 I'm not getting the same great experience I had for so long. I'm not doing anything different. Hopefully it gets sorted out soon. I'll still keep it on my device and update it to see.

I've managed to record my screen for PA and also a competitor app that works the way PA should. Again, I've force closed to show you, but it will randomly reset the play count during the day and with reboot on PA

 

PA:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e7f8yloblykdb7b/20180903_181727.mp4?dl=0

 

Competitor

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3967byv97hrc0iu/20180903_181522.mp4?dl=0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PA v3 has a permanent (saved to DB) shuffle ordering, but it's reshuffled in well defined points - there are less such points vs v2, but for your use case probably you're getting that point.

Reshuffle may happen e.g. if scan happened and database is changed. This will be polished, and number of reshuffle points will be reduced.

Actually, it's possible not ever to reshuffle until e.g. shuffle mode changed, but then other issues arise (like you click other song in a list and next song is <end of list>, or new songs added to list, but they will play in order, as they never reshuffled).

PA (v1/v2/v3) saves in-track position on pause/seek, saving it e.g. each 1sec or so kills device battery, thus, force killing PA will reset track position to last saved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/2/2018 at 12:56 AM, andrewilley said:

Please try build 795 and see if that resolves your issues.

Andre

I'm on build 808 and Shuffle Categories will still shuffle across all genres even when I'm in a specific genre.  It used to behave the way I expected:  If I'm in a genre and I tell it shuffle categories then when I advanced to the next album it would restrict the albums to within the genre.

If this has been reported elsewhere I'd appreciate a link.  Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Tallguy said:

I'm on build 808 and Shuffle Categories will still shuffle across all genres even when I'm in a specific genre. 

If you set shuffle mode to 'Shuffle Just Categories' when listening in Genre mode, then you should first hear all of the songs in the current genre played back in normal order (the order can be specified in the List Options menu for the songs level). Then a new genre will be randomly selected and that genre's song will be played in order.

If you want to hear all of the songs within a genre in shuffled order, and then move on to the next genre in order and hear all of its songs shuffled, use the 'Shuffle Just Songs' mode.

If you want to hear all of the songs within a genre in shuffled order, and then move on to another random genre and hear all of its songs shuffled, use the 'Shuffle Songs and Categories' mode. 

Andre

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/20/2018 at 3:25 AM, andrewilley said:

If you set shuffle mode to 'Shuffle Just Categories' when listening in Genre mode, then you should first hear all of the songs in the current genre played back in normal order (the order can be specified in the List Options menu for the songs level). Then a new genre will be randomly selected and that genre's song will be played in order.

If you want to hear all of the songs within a genre in shuffled order, and then move on to the next genre in order and hear all of its songs shuffled, use the 'Shuffle Just Songs' mode.

If you want to hear all of the songs within a genre in shuffled order, and then move on to another random genre and hear all of its songs shuffled, use the 'Shuffle Songs and Categories' mode. 

Andre

Perhaps I'm misremembering but I'm pretty sure at one point I was able to go into genres, pick an album, and when that album was over (if I was in shuffle catergories and advance list is on) it would advance to another random album in that genre.

What it is currently doing is at the end of the album it will advance to another random album, not necessarily in the same genre.  Same behavior if I press Next Category rather than letting the album finish.

If I go into Artists (for example) then it will play all of that artist's songs in song title order then advance to a different artist and play of that artist's songs in order.  So the behavior between Artist and Album is different.  (If you go into Songs the Next Category is disabled.)  The behavior between Album and Genre is now identical (since it disregards Genre when shuffling).

To recap:

In Genres -> Album

Shuffle: Shuffle Categories

Repeat: Advance List

Actual behavior:  When album advances then play continues to another random album in any genre and will play that album in order in its entirety.

Expected behavior (I think):  When album advances then play continues to another random album in the same genre and will play that album in order in its entirety.

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe this toppic is someway similar to my post: I can't shuffle Artist, or Album Artist. It starts with some random music from that artista, but then only plays songs from the same album, it won't shuffle with other songs, from other albums but from same artist.

For example, I have several Radiohead albums. I select Album Artist (Radiohead). And before you ask, I have all music files tagged correctly with Artist and Album Artist with Radiohead). Then, after clicking Radiohead, all their álbuns appear under. I then press the Shuffle button (botton left button in Artist picture), it selects a random song (like Paranoid Android), but then it only plays songs from OK Computer, it won't shuffle to other albums from Radiohead. That has to be a bug...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×