Old UI as a theme?

Blakchills

Most probably, the "yet another classic theme" will be published as sample for skin authors in Poweramp Skin SDK, so expect that shortly published by 3rd party authors.

(There was a similar situation with new UI in v2 when Poweramp v2 appeared, and Classic skin is what smoothed transition for some).

Of course, it's not possible to fully reproduce the v1 (or v2 alpha) navigation and quirks, as app changed a lot. 

• 3 months later...

I'm new to the forum, so I hope this is still of value.  My experience is that I have used Poweramp for many years, and always liked it for its ease of use.  My wife's I-pod died recently, so I suggested she just use her phone instead of getting a new I-pod to listen to music while running.  I had her download Poweramp, which generated a VERY negative response from her, with comments about not being able to figure out how to play music.  She deleted the trial, wen to Google music and is still unhappy. 

Fast forward to this week and I open up Poweramp on MY phone.  OMG, what a mess!  All I want to do is be able to find a music album, long press on it to play, and get back to what I was doing.  This appears to be impossible, so I find myself not really using it anymore.

if someone makes a skin [or they bring back the option of using the old UI] then i will be OK.  Else, I don't see myself using this. 

It looks like someone spent a whole lot of time designing the new UI, but it feels like the whole point was looks and not function.  Frankly, I don't give a care how nice it looks if i can't use it!

6 hours ago, rode_hard said:

All I want to do is be able to find a music album, long press on it to play, and get back to what I was doing

Find the album you want in the library list and tap on it (no need to long-press for a popup menu any more like you used to have to in v2) then simply tap the Play icon at the top of the songs list - or you could chose a specific song and tap on that if you want to start part-way though the album. There is also a Shuffle icon next to Play (which also used to be in the long-press popup menu but is now easier to access too)

Andre

Thanks - that appears to work to get an album started. 

That said, I will still keep an eye out for a skin that mimics the old UI.  Yes, I understand people probably put a lot of work into making the new version look pretty, but I find it to be both counter-intuitive and making me want to use the app less and less.  I have pretty much stopped listening to music on the phone since this change, as as said previously my wife flat our refused to use the app - when the only input from me was positive [based on the old UI] !!!

So .... maybe this all can be fixed - I hope so.  I only want a useful app, not a hobby, so I won't be spending a whole lot of time on this.  Either the app 'just works' or not.  Right now - not.

OK, thanks for the reply.  I guess I will just wait and see whether something similar to the old functionality returns - where it "just works" - or if I need to find another app.  I don't actively mind the way the new UI looks, I just doesn't have the functionality I am accustomed to, e.g. it sometimes plays an album thru, sometimes not... And some album is stuck in the "queue", even though I have "deleted" it multiple times, resulting in playing the same music over and over.   [Sigh...]

Oh well, it was good while it lasted.

Thanks again for your time and attention.

Do bear in mind that PA v3 is effectively more of a newly written app rather than just a minor update of mostly old code. Despite a lot of testing here in the forums for more than a year, there are bound to be bugs or missed items than slipped through. Max is dealing with these pretty quickly as they are reported, but he does need a detailed report of what the exact problem is and how it is affecting usage of the app.

Andre

9 minutes ago, NonKonnektion said:

Yeah from a consumer standpoint, for me this is broken, and very annoying, when a player I purchased years ago no longer functions in the manner for which I purchased it.

Then please feel free to stay with Poweramp v2, which is apparently the version you purchased and want to stay with.

As it happens, I felt the same way when Google changed to Material Design in their Android 5.0 update. I stayed with KitKat for several more years until some of the apps that I needed would no longer work with 4.4.x at all, at which point I was forced to upgrade. You, however do not need to run PA v3 if you don't want to, you can reinstall v2 and carry on with it for the foreseeable future.

For the record by the way, I still prefer the look and feel of KitKat.

Andre

I appreciate your reply and patience because from a development standpoint I can understand exactly how much work you guys have put into coding this new version.  So despite not wanting to use v3, I still extend a big thank you to you all.  Likewise, you could have rolled v3 into a new product and sold it which would have equally attracted ire from a lot of customers.

Kudos for making the old version available, it's just the surprise of finding the new version on your phone when you just want to listen to music (in gym), but all of your folders reordered and not knowing how to readily operate the new app that has caused this frustration.  I recall buying Poweramp because it wasn't bloated with visualisation and it just WORKED, having to roll back is just an unneeded inconvenience that could have been avoided.

9 hours ago, NonKonnektion said:

Yeah from a consumer standpoint, for me this is broken, and very annoying, when a player I purchased years ago no longer functions in the manner for which I purchased it.

in the old days, when we were not connected and dependent 😉 did you have a software installed, and had the power of decision when and if you update. today it's different, the developers do what they want. best example is microsoft, since you make 10 years plus x with office, then they pop you with a new design a ribbon in, and you feel as if you know nothing more, goodbye intuition. dear developers and responsible, have you ever thought about your evolutionary madness ?, I do not think so. Imagine you play the piano at a high level, then the keys are exchanged, then your nieveau in the ar ...! please let the user know if he wants a new version or not. it takes unnecessary time to re-work. it is a thorn in my eye if i do not have this choice, it is like a rape. I wanted to train, was ready prepared, and wanted to start my training music, but I had Poweramp but different in memory, well that I still have a Zweithandy, -) now I could omit my aggression because of the topic fully on the weights. i just want to hear music, what are the bolide-like functionalities? I know what I'm talking about, I administer and program. my criticism is not meant evil, I hope it helps to understand the aspects .Have a good time. post scriptum: its a google translation ...

Hearing that I can revert to v2 is great! 

Having little to no experience in going backwards in software versions, and keeping in mind this software has both a license, and a trial/pro structure: is there any particular process that will make the reversion process go more smoothly?

46 minutes ago, rode_hard said:

Having little to no experience in going backwards in software versions, and keeping in mind this software has both a license, and a trial/pro structure: is there any particular process that will make the reversion process go more smoothly?

Just uninstall v3 and then install the APK file for v2, which will be installed as a fresh installation unless you first export and then re-import your settings (not sure how well that works going backwards though, I've not tried). Same applies to Playlists, export any system playlists before you uninstall v3. They should automatically get imported back into v2.

Andre

• 1 month later...

I used PA v2 on android headunits in my vehicles and loved it.  Got a new vehicle so hadn't used it in a few months until I bought an android headunit for my Superlite SLC and went to set it up and realized the GUI was completely different.  While I appreciate all the hard work put into v3, I really liked how v2 looked when playing music and the background not split up.  Good to see we can still use v2, I'll download and install it.  I have updates turned off on this unit, so should be good to go.

I'll keep using v3 on my phone so I can learn it and get accustomed to it, I don't mind the new background on it.

Archived