Which Ratings system, do you prefer, "Five Stars", or "Thumbs-Up/Thumbs-Down"

andrewilley

Should song ratings use thumbs up/down flags, or be star based (i.e. 1-star to 5-star)  

333 members have voted

1. 1. Which system would you prefer Poweramp to offer for ranking your music?

• New: Thumbs-Up for liked tracks, Thumbs-Down for disliked track
    • Traditional: Star-based Ratings (one-star for lowest, five-stars for highest, with no stars meaning not yet ranked)
    • It doesn't really bother me either way

Hi! I understand both sides of the users. Personally, I prefer 5-star rating, but the main issue for me is inability to see the rating of the song directly in the list. It is pretty useful in a lot of cases.

Max, let me know if it is possible to bring this feature back.

And yes, thanks for the update, was waiting for it for years, you know :D

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/22/2018 at 6:28 AM, maxmp said:

There is no problem in adding an option for 5star vs like/dislike (except for too-many-options problem).

Not sure if this will be in exactly the next published build, but that can be done easily. Also this can be a skin option, or that can be a global Poweramp option. The later adds complications for skin authors, as it requires them to add / polish 2 variants of the rating bar.

@maxmp Both options (like/dislike, stars) will be the best solution for all the users. Also, 1 for dislike and 2-5 are for like will be better because I believe only trash songs are going to be disliked.

I hope adding 2 variants of the rating bar will be fine for the skin authors when it comes to more flexible solution for the users.

I also prefer the star rating simply because all music I copy on my phone is already rated with Musicbee on PC. It's saved in its metadata, that way it's really easy to make new playlists. The newest beta caught me ice cold, and to be honest if Poweramp will stick with the thumbs I might go look for another app since the new interface seems very confusing or at least "unclean" too.

Also I don't really see the point in thumbs up/down. If I don't like the music on my device, why leave it there or copy it in the first place? For streaming services this makes sense to make it learn the music taste of someone, but for offline players not so much.. Maybe it's possible to make it an option so everyone can decide what system should be used.

Ideally, I would actually like to see 5 star, half star interval. I manage all my own music files and give them ratings in MusicBee and ideally would like to be able to write a script to transfer the ratings over to Poweramp if possible. A 4.5 vs a 5 star is important to me, as any music I transfer to my device will be 3, or above stars.

Dear Poweramp developers,

Stars system or thumbs system, either way is ok. Although, I'd imagine the stars system is a little more future proof.

What is a major regression from v2 is the fact that the ratings do not show up in any list or playlist (apart from the "top rated" filter). This makes the UI really difficult to use. Why? Because one painstakingly marks the songs in a very large selection as favorites, randomly, as one listens to them. (My collection is large enough such that I don't listen to a song a second time for many months at a  time. Am sure am not unique). Not being able to find them easily later on, defeats the whole process. Thanks.

Thumbs-Up/Down is fresh feeling , but useless, Because I won't put songs I don't like into the storage of my mobile phone.

But using five star-based ratings, I can filter songs that I like differently levels.

Anyway, Thanks for your creative works, I will always following.

Thanks for giving the option for either "thumbs up" or "5-star", though I hope '5-Star' becomes the default. I was real pissed with v3 until I found I could return to star ratings.

However, is there any way to show the ratings overlaid over the tracks when browsing tracks inside a playlist? Like it was before. I use that feature extensively, and normally I rate evey track inside certain playlists. Without seeing the stars in the playlist list, I can't tell which tracks are rated and which are not. It's killing me right now. Hopefully there's at least an option to make it look like it was before.

I wouldn't mind half-star ratings in principle, but I don't know how practical that is in practice on a small phone display. Full star ratings can be hard enough to click on. I suspect only a minority would require the half-stars compared to those who would find it a hassle.

In any case, I really, really hope the "visible star in list" issue gets resolved soon!

@mvsainz if this feature does not return, i have implemented the rating stars in my app New Playlist Manager. You can rate tracks from different views, including playlists. Now that we can insert playlists into Poweramp, you can manage all your playlist needs from the app. In the near future, i will add more functionality such as merging, sorting etc.

I don't use ratings.  I'm a bit of a Luddite:  I suspect, rightly or wrongly, that rating something will affect whether it's given equal treatment by the randomizer.  What I'd really like is to be assured that when I hit "shuffle" each song in the queue has exactly an equal chance of being played, and that anything played once will not be repeated.  I have my suspicions about this in version 2, and hope, in version 3, that no matter how many times I play something, or how high I rate it, it won't be played in "shuffle" more often than any other song.

Is there any option to see the full title of a track in the new v3? Currently long titles are fully hidden (unless I go into the Info/tags section). This is a big issue for me. Hopefully there's some way to fit longer titles, or have them rotate, or whatever.

All in all, v3 has created way more problems for me then it has solved as of yet. The widget doesn't work and I suspect that there's some wierd issue with 'shuffle', too. Oh well. Hopefully the bugs get worked out.

• 3 months later...

How to change the ratings system in the new Poweramp version:
Settings -> Look and Feel -> Player UI -> Rating Type -> Select Disabled, Like/unlike thumbs, or 5 stars

I didn't see this posted anywhere and had to poke around in the menus to find it.  I spent many an hour rating songs on the 5 star system and didn't want all that info to be lost.

Hope this helps, cheers, Danny

I have rarely used the rating system but for me thumbs up/thumbs down is redundant. At least the star rating could potentially be used in meaningful ways.

Thumbs up = It's on my device

Thumbs down = It's not on my device / delete

5 hours ago, Urchin said:

I have rarely used the rating system but for me thumbs up/thumbs down is redundant. At least the star rating could potentially be used in meaningful ways.

Thumbs up = It's on my device

Thumbs down = It's not on my device / delete

Just as a reference point for others, I use 'Stars' the same way, albeit a bit more elaborately:
1 Star - Delete this track from my library.
2 Star - The name is wrong correct it.
3 Star - For new tracks which I haven't "processed" yet, it means it doesn't go in any special playlist.
4 Star - For new tracks which I haven't "processed" yet, this means that once I reach my PC, I should add it to some playlist or modify it in some way.
5 Star - Life-changing tracks.

Since I use MediaMonkey to manage my library, and there's no good way to sync ratings or edits from my phone, I have to do it manually using this method. But hey, it works for me.

• 3 weeks later...

For me the idea the idea of summing up the complexity of music with a thumbs up or down is pretty reductive and pointless beyond what was mention above of delete and keep but as long as they don't get rid of it i don't care

I'm actually apart of the ones that have been waiting for embedded ratings for years now and would like to see half stars 

@flyingdutchman is your app able to read embedded rating and import them to Poweramp?

• 4 months later...

I've always used a 5 star system in every player I've ever used. Thumbs up/down, like/dislike, whatever you want to call it is too limiting for me. Anything beyond 5 stars is too much. Some star counters allow half stars, but I never use that. I didn't realize Poweramp had a 5 star option until a comment I read in this thread mentioned it. For anyone else wondering, it's in Settings/Player UI/Rating Type. Really happy this feature was added :)

The five-star version was actually re-implemented partly as a result of this thread.

Thumbs up/down is great when you are dealing with material you can't control so easily - such as a streaming service, where you can say what things you like and what you don't like. However the feeling here was that for your own music stored on your own device, if you didn't like something then you'd just delete it, so why would you ever want to 'thumbs-down' your own music collection?

Andre

4 hours ago, andrewilley said:

The five-star version was actually re-implemented partly as a result of this thread.

Thumbs up/down is great when you are dealing with material you can't control so easily - such as a streaming service, where you can say what things you like and what you don't like. However the feeling here was that for your own music stored on your own device, if you didn't like something then you'd just delete it, so why would you ever want to 'thumbs-down' your own music collection?

Andre

I hope that's a rhetorical question at this point, since this thread shows they're plenty of reasons why one would want to. For me personally its invaluable to categorize tracks so I know what to do with them when I get to my PC where I can actually manage them. I was already looking for a replacement app if the short time I thought the 5 stars are off. Trying to think one knows best about what the user wants and is going to do with the software is way too Apple a style of thinking, whereas the versatility of Poweramp is decidedly more Windows as far as allowing the user to configure to his own galore.

In any case I'm glad it came back and I'm quite satisfied with Poweramp as it stands. It's not perfect but it certainly is great.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived