Which Ratings system, do you prefer, "Five Stars", or "Thumbs-Up/Thumbs-Down"

andrewilley

Should song ratings use thumbs up/down flags, or be star based (i.e. 1-star to 5-star)  

333 members have voted

1. 1. Which system would you prefer Poweramp to offer for ranking your music?

• New: Thumbs-Up for liked tracks, Thumbs-Down for disliked track
    • Traditional: Star-based Ratings (one-star for lowest, five-stars for highest, with no stars meaning not yet ranked)
    • It doesn't really bother me either way

There has been a lot of discussion across multiple threads about the newly introduced simple binary "thumbs up" or "thumbs down" system for ranking music within Poweramp v3, which has replaced the old 1-star to 5-star rating system traditionally used in Poweramp v2 and other apps (with no stars meaning that a rating has not yet been assigned for that song).

So, as requested, here is a poll to indicate your preference, if you have one. You can elaborate in the comments. This poll is not binding, but it will be interesting to see the userbase's opinions.

Andre

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Andre, I voted but I would rather have the list options fixed to retain whatever options we selected after PA is closed or quit. Apologies for hijacking the topic but just hoping to have this relayed to Max or atleast be included in the priorities for the next beta release. Salamat!

I am sorry to say that, but the new thumbs up/down rating system would ruin the Poweramp app for me. This fact scares me a lot - since I really love Poweramp and - as far as I know - only a single other music player app with five-star-rating-system is left in the market (not to mention other key features/advantages of Poweramp). Unfortunately, even using the existing alpha-version of Poweramp for ever (or at least for the next 50 years...) seems to be no real option - since upcoming Android version most likely won't support ancient apps anymore...

I am using the traditional five-star-ratings extensively - as well as the "best rated" auto-playlist which is based on these ratings. Right now, my "best rated" auto-playlist contains over 3,000 entries...

Hence, I vote "Tranditional" and keep my fingers crossed, that my opinion will matter...

There is no problem in adding an option for 5star vs like/dislike (except for too-many-options problem).

Not sure if this will be in exactly the next published build, but that can be done easily. Also this can be a skin option, or that can be a global Poweramp option. The later adds complications for skin authors, as it requires them to add / polish 2 variants of the rating bar.

8 hours ago, maxmp said:

There is no problem in adding option for 5star vs like/dislike (except for too-many-options problem).

Thanks Max. With a "power-user" app like Poweramp, you can never have too many configuration options to tweak it just the way each user wants it (you should see my email app, Aqua-Mail! :) ) just as long as the average user doesn't need to access them all in order to use to app in a sensible way.

Does a thumbs-down equate to the same as one-star in the database, and the thumbs-up to five stars as far as the stored userdata is concerned? If so, the two modes ought to be interchangeable (with the thumbs system showing an old 1-2 stars as a 'down', and 3-5 as an 'up')

Andre

on the topic of to many config options, maybe there can be some kind of first run setup wizard to customize some of the most relevent settings.  there can also be an option to reset/import settings if upgrading to prevent errors.

the reason i voted for thumbs up/down is simplicity.  i dont use ratings, but i didnt like the stars ui in the v2.

2 hours ago, andrewilley said:

Thanks Max. With a "power-user" app like Poweramp, you can never have too many configuration options to tweak it just the way each user wants it (you should see my email app, Aqua-Mail! :) ) just as long as the average user doesn't need to access them all in order to use to app in a sensible way.

Does a thumbs-down equate to the same as one-star in the database, and the thumbs-up to five stars as far as the stored userdata is concerned? If so, the two modes ought to be interchangeable (with the thumbs system showing an old 1-2 stars as a 'down', and 3-5 as an 'up')

Andre

To answer your question andre, yes thumb down sets the value 1, thumbs up set the value 5 in the rating field

Having the 5-star rating feature WITH the possibility to directly rate a track without having to swipe/open a dialog/whatever used to be one of the great features that made Poweramp unique. I see no sense at all in having the "like/dislike" buttons and would love to have 5 star buttons again instead. Please re-implement this as soon as possible, because I really like the new user inferface. But losing the 5-stars rating system would be a dealbreaker for me :-(

We definitely need the old 5-star rating system. It can easily define how much do I like the track. And with the new system, it's impossible. Moreover, does someone has music that he/she don't like on their phone?

Right now I had to downgrade to older version of Poweramp but I lost my ratings. Is it possible to import song ratings when I have backup in Titanium Backup only from new version data?

I would just prefer only a star as a "Favorite" since I don't see the need for a dislike option, I only used the 5 star or thumbs up so I could just go into top rated and shuffle my music I have rated, I never put less than 5 stars or put a thumbs down on a song I didnt like I just didnt rate it, so I would like to see a star as favorite would make more sense

10 hours ago, andrewilley said:

Actually, thumbs-down is 1 (star) and thumbs up is 5. The database field / track tag is the same, so it's more or less can be changed from stars to thumbs without data loss.

Voted 5-star system, but I guess the best option would be an option to choose that. Slightly offtopic, bit I also would like the rating back in list views like in the v709 design (I hope skins could do that atleast).

Hi. I joined the forum so I could put my 2cents in. I am a fan of the 5 star system. Like others, I don't use it just as a rating system but as a custom organizer. I get what people are saying about 'if I put a song on there then I like it' but for someone like me, that's not quite right. I have a bad habit of going thru bandcamp and downloading free comps and dumping them on my phone. I need the 5 star to know exactly what the hell I am thinking with certain tracks. The stars aren't ratings per se but telling me specific things with each star.

Basically, I really need the stars back. Ideally, I think it would be best to offer a choice between 5 star, thumbs up, and nothing. But I'm not a programmer so that might not be possible. 

Anyway, my opinion. Thanks.

Archived