Dynamic Normalization

There are some stand alone music players out there, like most Samsung and Sony players, which have a function that automatically adjusts the volume to make the music play at the same volume, it is called dynamic normalization. Some music files sound softer than others depending on the equipment used to record the music, like music recorded on digital equipment may sound louder than music which is recorded on analog sources like tapes, that's where normalization comes in, it also enables soft parts of a song to play at the same volume as the rest of the song. I think that this might be a nice add on to the next version.

The problem with normalization in app is that apps on Android has no access to low level Android sound subsystem (i.e. mixer), thus, it can't manipulate volume so freely.

Btw, it looks like each android release has unique sound subsystem and also OEMs adds their varieties, thus they all differ.

The maximum volume output power is controlled by global volume (the volume rockers), and this limits usability of any normalization/replay gain/preamp/etc that can be done inside usial application like PowerAMP, as you can make volume lower, but you can't make it louder (without changing the global volume, which has huge steps and also changes notification sounds, etc).

PowerAMP already sets default preamp volume lower as some dynamic range is required for equalizer.

Adding normalization (and to some extent, Replay Gain) requires even lower default preamp (to be able to amplify audio when required) - and this is not well accepted by general user, as it feels like app has (for reason not obvious to user) lower volume.

This is why apps like Voodoo sound driver is actually kernel extensions.

Thanks.

• 5 years later...
On 5/12/2011 at 9:41 AM, admin said:

The problem with normalization in app is that apps on Android has no access to low level Android sound subsystem (i.e. mixer), thus, it can't manipulate volume so freely.

Btw, it looks like each android release has unique sound subsystem and also OEMs adds their varieties, thus they all differ.

The maximum volume output power is controlled by global volume (the volume rockers), and this limits usability of any normalization/replay gain/preamp/etc that can be done inside usial application like Poweramp, as you can make volume lower, but you can't make it louder (without changing the global volume, which has huge steps and also changes notification sounds, etc).

Poweramp already sets default preamp volume lower as some dynamic range is required for equalizer.

Adding normalization (and to some extent, Replay Gain) requires even lower default preamp (to be able to amplify audio when required) - and this is not well accepted by general user, as it feels like app has (for reason not obvious to user) lower volume.

This is why apps like Voodoo sound driver is actually kernel extensions.

Thanks.

and here it is over 5 years later and still not the option.  Its not like he asked for it to be forced upon people. Those of us who have amps to power our headphones have not much problem. Considering you pretty much NEED an AMP for the crappy androids since the  dB rating is garbage all around on speaker and at the jack, we all could benefit from this. Not to mention the android i need it the most on is 24/7 hooked to externally powered speakers.

ReplayGain has been supported for quite a while now (as long as your music files are tagged correctly) which will adjust for peak level on any given tracks. Dynamic normalisation (i.e. on-the-fly adjustment during playback of a track) is not a feature though.

Andre

Archived