[793] Shuffle songs is bugged in playlists

MaxOfS2D

I use "Repeat List" and "Shuffle Songs" along with playlists. Unfortunately, while in playlists, the new build plays songs in order.

An odd behaviour in this case is that, even if you go select a track way down in the playlist, e.g. around the middle of the list, the next track will go back to the beginning. After I did this a few times, it started always going back to the 4th track.

I have another playlist (with 315 songs) which does something even weirder: its "shuffled" order is always 1st track > a specific track close to the end > the very last track of the list > then it goes a specific track 1/3rd of the way down and starts playing everything in order. If I deviate from this, it goes back to the very last track of the list, then back to the track 1/3rd of the way down, and everything in order again.

"Shuffle Songs" still works properly while in every other category as far as I can tell ("all songs", "albums", "artists", "genres", etc.)

I've made a YouTube video of this 

Hope it helps!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, vijer said:

I'm glad they play the queue and playlist in order, but I think you need to enable Shuffle All if you want the Queue and Playlist lists shuffled.

That would cause playlists themselves to be shuffled; "shuffle songs" is supposed to shuffle only within the current playlist and not jump to other ones randomly. 

2 hours ago, MaxOfS2D said:

That would cause playlists themselves to be shuffled; "shuffle songs" is supposed to shuffle only within the current playlist and not jump to other ones randomly. 

Exactly, "Shuffle Songs" should only shuffle songs in the library but possibly (god I hope not)  the playlist or queue list . Shuffle All then would seem to imply that the shuffle would affect, library songs, playlist songs, and queue songs. The dev or moderator should confirm the logic.

There used to be a very clear setting for the queue - Ignore Shuffle. The current design is unclear. There should be a setting to explicitly say Do not shuffle the Queues and another explicit setting to say Do not shuffle the play lists.  I personally can't imagine wanting to shuffle either of those, but we should have options to make everyone happy.

9 hours ago, vijer said:

Exactly, "Shuffle Songs" should only shuffle songs in the library but possibly (god I hope not)  the playlist or queue list . Shuffle All then would seem to imply that the shuffle would affect, library songs, playlist songs, and queue songs. The dev or moderator should confirm the logic.

There used to be a very clear setting for the queue - Ignore Shuffle. The current design is unclear. There should be a setting to explicitly say Do not shuffle the Queues and another explicit setting to say Do not shuffle the play lists.  I personally can't imagine wanting to shuffle either of those, but we should have options to make everyone happy.

It is supposed to shuffle WITHIN playlists, but not BETWEEN playlists. That's what "shuffle songs & categories" does. 

Imagine playlists are a letter and songs a number. "Shuffle songs" would do: A2, A8, A4, A3, A1, A7... and if you change playlists, manually, of your own volition, then it's B3, B9, B5...

"Shuffle songs & categories", however, would give you A2, A4, B3, A8, C1, A7, B9...

That's how it worked in in previous versions (build 701 iirc)

I think the queue is irrelevant to all this. 

i have a similar problem. in my case shuffle don't shuffle folders and after some iterations of shuffling one random (?) folder the player just lock-ups o_O
see related video

my device is Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S if it's matter

• 4 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, ъыь said:

still doesn't work. well, at least it don't hang, but now skips the first song. 

I think what is happening is that the first time around, it plays the shuffled list from track one as expected. However when it repeats (you have 'Repeat List' enabled), the reshuffled list has its first song set to be the same as the final song in the previous list (i.e. the one that has just played) so rather than repeating the previous song again if goes straight to song two. Otherwise there would be the possibility that the same song would play twice back-to-back (with the chance getting more likely the less songs that are in the list). When it starts playing from track 2 in the newly shuffled list. you can go back a track manually to see what has happened.

Andre

If you are in Repeat List (i.e. Repeat Folder in your case) mode then yes, that's exactly what it will do, it will continue shuffling and playing the same folder. Switch the repeat mode to Advance List if you want to go on to the next one after all songs in the current list (folder) are complete..

Andre

it seems i don't undestand how this button works in v3.

in v2 it shuffles all songs from all the subfolders, not only from the first folder. why this interaction was changed? how it is now supposed to shuffle songs in all of the subfolders?

• 4 weeks later...

sorry, but im so tired of this s***. you dont understand me (sorry if my english is not very good) and every new version is getting ever worse.

now (799) sort inside subfolders doesnt work. i have no idea how it works and why does it split my subfolders in two pieces.

moreover, shuffle and play buttons doing some unpredictable s***. shuffle just shuffles my current (wtf?) playlist, while play button starts playing from first folder (WTF!?) in list.

it differs from 2nd version of Poweramp. it even differs from past versions of 3rd beta! it makes me start looking for an alternative to Poweramp. or to use 2nd version...

Please ensure you have sort by filename set in the List Options.

I think a bug has crept in to the latest beta which is causing any newly added folders to get missorted within the Folders Hierarchy category view (it works OK in regular Folders view). This has already been reported elsewhere.

I do think you perhaps misunderstand the nature of test releases though; the purpose is to find and iron out these sort of things before the main release. If you are not happy with doing this, please use the last stable build (588).

Andre

neither of sort options works at 799 in subfolders. and yes, i found similar problems in main thread. hope it will be fixed next builds.

i'm perfectly understand the nature of developer builds because im a developer too ;-) however, our conversation has been going on for 2 months without any result. 799 is a rc build. my problem is not a minor, this should have been resolved back in beta testing. and i'm not the only one who is experiencing this problem.

• 1 month later...

the bug is still in 808. 

Having shuffle enabled when playing a playlist or queue just plays the songs in order, and you cannot select a song in the list without it jumping back to the very first song. Having the repeat function jump back to the first song once your list is finished just play a random song in your library too.

Archived