Poweramp
cath

I think Beta 792 is a failure

1 hour ago, Feilakas said:

So let me see if I got that right:

The people that say that the interface in its' current iteration is just fine are wrong while you guys (who all of you have wildly different, sometimes opposing opinions/preferences) are right and the developer should bend over backwards to satisfy you, all the while dissatisfying the people who are happy with the way things currently are...

Yeah... right...

So, to put it another way, there is NO way ANY app could look/behave the way EVERY user wants simply because different users want it to look/behave differently.
Thus, the REASON there is a way for 3rd parties to customize an app (NOT just change a color or icon here or there but actually customize in the UX level) is so that, all the people that want it one way can have it the way it is while, other people that want it a different way can use a theme/skin/whatever that makes the app the way THEY want it and then a 3rd group can also go their own way etc etc.

My major issue is the complete overhaul while taking out options that WE ALREADY HAD, and have had for the most part since the app was released almost 10 years ago.

Don't be such a boot-licking sycophant. This is a drastic change and we shouldn't have to just ~take it~ because some users are fine with the new version. The items that person mentions (removing buttons) are options that were taken away. I'm glad you're fine with options being taken away because you didn't use it or didn't know they existed, but others did use them and now can't.

The update to the alpha versions of 3 were great, it was improving what was already there and adding things like a visualiser, this change REMOVES a lot of things while making usability worse. They tossed the baby out with the bathwater for the sake of making it pretty with flashing animations and rounded corners.

5 hours ago, Feilakas said:

So let me see if I got that right:

The people that say that the interface in its' current iteration is just fine are wrong while you guys (who all of you have wildly different, sometimes opposing opinions/preferences) are right and the developer should bend over backwards to satisfy you, all the while dissatisfying the people who are happy with the way things currently are...

Yeah... right...

So, to put it another way, there is NO way ANY app could look/behave the way EVERY user wants simply because different users want it to look/behave differently.
Thus, the REASON there is a way for 3rd parties to customize an app (NOT just change a color or icon here or there but actually customize in the UX level) is so that, all the people that want it one way can have it the way it is while, other people that want it a different way can use a theme/skin/whatever that makes the app the way THEY want it and then a 3rd group can also go their own way etc etc.

Clearly, you don't "have it right" and apparently cannot read well either. Nobody said those of you who like what you see are wrong, many are saying they don't like what you like.  And many of us want A) features we had before (why remove them?)  and B) features we have been asking for for many years. As you pointed out, there are wildly different opinions which is why we want options. You like everything you see, but many of us don't. We don't want to take away from your preferences, we just want to add flexibility. 

Then there's your ignorant comment about 3rd party modifications. Really, you think the primary developer should do a half ass job and leave the rest to 3rd party developers? Not to mention skinning an app isn't the same as disabling features. I guess you think Max has made and API for developers to customize the UI. Hey Max you're done, Feilakas said we can all wait for the 3rd party developers to add extensions and skins.

4 hours ago, utahman1971 said:

V2 was more cluttered than this. Hell the art work was not even fitting the screen as good as the new one. You liked those huge gaps above and below the art work? It was nasty to look at. Adjusting the fit did not fix it, it just zoomed and cut off the sides.

Which is the point many of us are making. We expected to refine the UI not remove things that were working.

But who cares about the art work? I barely notice it. I open PA select songs for the queue and close it again.  I don't sit with my screen active and stare at the art work. Yes, it is nice to have it laid out correctly, but what is more important is to quickly find the music I want to add and have it play the way I want. The same goes for the list options, I don't need art work in the list. Now instead of a clean list that displays about 20 songs on the screen I have these silly images and can only see about 7 songs, so I have to scroll a lot more.  Back in the 1960s-70s people had to flip through their album collection and look at the song list to decide what to play. We happen to be in the 2000s and I can pick my songs by name, I don't need an image of the album to help me find my songs.

33 minutes ago, vijer said:

Which is the point many of us are making. We expected to refine the UI not remove things that were working.

But who cares about the art work? I barely notice it. I open PA select songs for the queue and close it again.  I don't sit with my screen active and stare at the art work. Yes, it is nice to have it laid out correctly, but what is more important is to quickly find the music I want to add and have it play the way I want. The same goes for the list options, I don't need art work in the list. Now instead of a clean list that displays about 20 songs on the screen I have these silly images and can only see about 7 songs, so I have to scroll a lot more.  Back in the 1960s-70s people had to flip through their album collection and look at the song list to decide what to play. We happen to be in the 2000s and I can pick my songs by name, I don't need an image of the album to help me find my songs.

U have the list for that... U want your artwork on the now playing proper and stuff and your list to be all bland? According to your suggestions the UI of your dreams seems to be something stuck in the android 4 era. Everything needs changing and v3 is just that. U just can't refine anything you like as each design base has some limitations.. max isn't stupid to move on the material ui base 

4 minutes ago, Ameya28 said:

U have the list for that... U want your artwork on the now playing proper and stuff and your list to be all bland? According to your suggestions the UI of your dreams seems to be something stuck in the android 4 era. Everything needs changing and v3 is just that. U just can't refine anything you like as each design base has some limitations.. max isn't stupid to move on the material ui base 

Well, when you can comprehend what you read and write proper sentences I'll take you seriously. 

In any event I'm not sure what some people use the app for - I don't sit down and look at my phone while the music is playing - oh wow look at those nice images in the list, oh wow look at the bouncy visualizer, it's party time on my phone, hey everybody gather round and look at my screen! "Oh look I'm drug addled and drunk I think I'll stare at my 5 inch screen and wear out the battery looking at the art work and visualizer." Maybe that's you, it's not me, I want to go to the library, queue several songs and then close the app.  Then I keep working, or playing a game, or something, but I'm not staring at the art work for the 3+ minutes the song is playing (wow isn't that cool art work they included [pops another pill, sniffs more coke, takes another puff, downs another shot]. Sorry for all the sarcasm, I'm sure it is lost on many. 

Ultimately, you are missing the point - if you like all that stuff, great keep it, but many of us want features we had before and the ability to turn on/off settings. We don't want to take away from your experience, we want to add to ours.

30 minutes ago, vijer said:

Well, when you can comprehend what you read and write proper sentences I'll take you seriously. 

In any event I'm not sure what some people use the app for - I don't sit down and look at my phone while the music is playing - oh wow look at those nice images in the list, oh wow look at the bouncy visualizer, it's party time on my phone, hey everybody gather round and look at my screen! "Oh look I'm drug addled and drunk I think I'll stare at my 5 inch screen and wear out the battery looking at the art work and visualizer." Maybe that's you, it's not me, I want to go to the library, queue several songs and then close the app.  Then I keep working, or playing a game, or something, but I'm not staring at the art work for the 3+ minutes the song is playing (wow isn't that cool art work they included [pops another pill, sniffs more coke, takes another puff, downs another shot]. Sorry for all the sarcasm, I'm sure it is lost on many. 

Ultimately, you are missing the point - if you like all that stuff, great keep it, but many of us want features we had before and the ability to turn on/off settings. We don't want to take away from your experience, we want to add to ours.

Stereotyping someone who loves his album arts as a drug addict is pretty foolish i think.. I know you dont want to take away the modern experience but that is wherre the main problem is.. max can't switch to a different ui on the click of a button.. is irrational. On his side as a developer he has provided the 709 for people like you.. now you all can just hope someone releases a retro skin or v2 skin or something like that. The reason you are whining for is logical for a minor few .. so change in the main app is most likely impossible.. you got your pro buttons and the static seekbar how much are you gonna ask for??

38 minutes ago, Ameya28 said:

Stereotyping someone who loves his album arts as a drug addict is pretty foolish i think.. I know you dont want to take away the modern experience but that is wherre the main problem is.. max can't switch to a different ui on the click of a button.. is irrational. On his side as a developer he has provided the 709 for people like you.. now you all can just hope someone releases a retro skin or v2 skin or something like that. The reason you are whining for is logical for a minor few .. so change in the main app is most likely impossible.. you got your pro buttons and the static seekbar how much are you gonna ask for??

Ya I know, I shouldn't use sarcasm, but it isn't silly, it's just difficult for some to understand. 

Every one of my 2000+ songs have album art, the correct album art, lyrics, title, artist, album.  I like my information as much as the next person, but we are talking about a 5 inch screen with limited battery life. So to focus on this information is the silly thing. The functionality is what's important - does the queue work right, does shuffle work right, is it easy to scroll through and find you songs, etc. The prettiness of my art work is of very minor importance.

How much am I gonna ask for?  Everything and more.  I point you to an app for Windows called Directory Opus. Go take a look they have a 60 day trial. It has THOUSANDS of options - because, unlike you and others like you, they realize that every user has different needs and preferences.  What is silly is for people like you to want to limit flexibility. Especially, by claiming Max can't do it, pretty insulting to Max I would think.

On 8/10/2018 at 6:42 PM, vijer said:

The meta data should be removed, why would I want to see this information while I am playing my music? I converted my CD's all at the same bit rate - 160,  sample rate - 44 khz, and they are all mp3. What use is this information? 

I agree with everything else you say, but while most of my music is 320kb/s, I do have some lower quality mp3s, and some higher quality Flacs, so this is useful for me. I like what's Max has done with it, but it could probably be a bit bigger.

I'm old school and remember the days of vinyl, so album art is important to me. What Max has done with the pig ugly black boxes over it is making me look for another player...

28 minutes ago, Rabangus said:

I agree with everything else you say, but while most of my music is 320kb/s, I do have some lower quality mp3s, and some higher quality Flacs, so this is useful for me. I like what's Max has done with it, but it could probably be a bit bigger.

I'm old school and remember the days of vinyl, so album art is important to me. What Max has done with the pig ugly black boxes over it is making me look for another player...

Hopefully, the option, assuming we get it, will be to hide or display the meta data. That way you can see it and I can hide it. Win win.

Although, your music has some different bit rates and encodings, I still question the usefulness of this information in the player.  If you see this information are you going to go and make a change? Is  seeing this information going to influence whether you play the song? I don't think it has any benefit, but if you like it great. I use Mp3Tag and have edited all my music, everything is consistent, even to the point of using online tools to change the bit rate. My understanding is that no one can hear the difference over a bit rate of 160, maybe I'm wrong, as such I don't see the point in taking up my limited space with the extra size of anything over 160. 

I did my update to build 793 last night. In my opinion, the UI looks slightly better aesthetically wise. Its no longer that monochromatic of black, silver and neon blue look. With the album art, it added some color into the once boring interface which I would not even bother to look longer than necessary. It also helped me to recollect some of the memories associated with the songs.  The seekbar is now hiding behind the buttons, but it is highly responsive and functional when I tested it. Meta display at the bottom  helped me to identify some of the better quality songs in my collection. So the UI is generally an improvement to me. Customization of some UI elements are still in place, which I tend to let the default stayed as it is.

UI, just like music or a piece of art, its how the developer or artist wants it to be. Its either you like it or you don't. I do not think it is fair to expect Max to bend over to every whim or fancies of ours as end-user just because we have paid him once. I am now getting essentially a free upgrade with the quality of my music playback greatly improved along with some eye candies which has it's function at least to me. However, if I am paying for each new version, then I would expect everything to have the ability to customize every detail according to my needs. But I only paid once, so I am happy with what I have received.

Thanks Max. Great app. Keep on marching.

1 hour ago, Imperfection said:

I did my update to build 793 last night. In my opinion, the UI looks slightly better aesthetically wise. Its no longer that monochromatic of black, silver and neon blue look. With the album art, it added some color into the once boring interface which I would not even bother to look longer than necessary. It also helped me to recollect some of the memories associated with the songs.  The seekbar is now hiding behind the buttons, but it is highly responsive and functional when I tested it. Meta display at the bottom  helped me to identify some of the better quality songs in my collection. So the UI is generally an improvement to me. Customization of some UI elements are still in place, which I tend to let the default stayed as it is.

UI, just like music or a piece of art, its how the developer or artist wants it to be. Its either you like it or you don't. I do not think it is fair to expect Max to bend over to every whim or fancies of ours as end-user just because we have paid him once. I am now getting essentially a free upgrade with the quality of my music playback greatly improved along with some eye candies which has it's function at least to me. However, if I am paying for each new version, then I would expect everything to have the ability to customize every detail according to my needs. But I only paid once, so I am happy with what I have received.

True that .. take notes everyone ?

2 hours ago, Imperfection said:

giphy.gif

10 hours ago, vijer said:

My understanding is that no one can hear the difference over a bit rate of 160, maybe I'm wrong, as such I don't see the point in taking up my limited space with the extra size of anything over 160. 

You are indeed 100% wrong my friend. Get yourself some decent headphones (in general at least $200+) and you can tell in an instant if a track is only 160kb/s. Of course there are a lot of other factors like recording quality etc, but with with decent headphones you can definitely tell the difference between 320kb/s and a lossless encoded track (usually flac)... Which is why I use Poweramp because of it's superior audio decoding and hi res output.

I don't think it's a failure, it just needs some work. Bring back up/down swipe for list change, adjust sizes of things (as many users have suggested) and make at least a few changes to the player display:

16 hours ago, djdarko said:

example1.thumb.png.ae79da03b461080f058e8a2d72cb8774.png

Suggested option or change:

1. Remove text from album art, remove black dot, leaving only 3 white dots for "info" button.

2. Add slim seekbar to the bottom, make full seekbar opaque or hide it until the slim seekbar is touched.

3. Make the "NINE INCH NAILS/AND ALL THAT COULD HAVE BEEN" text box cycle the Song Title > Artist/Album > Bitrate etc. to time/touch, starting with Song Title for each new track. And maybe add a set of checkbox options in the settings to select what info is cycled.

TEXT BOX INFO:

[X] SONG TITLE
[X] ALBUM TITLE
[O] NEXT SONG
[O] BITRATE
[O] OUTPUT

Also, if it's possible at all, it would be great if Max could fix any remaining bugs in  (V2)588 / (V2.5) 709 and keep them them as legacy versions. Assuming that Poweramp Full Version Unlocker should work for all if he did so.

I don't like the new IU either!!!

Since some people have resorted to name calling of the people who have a different opinion,  I'll beat you to it and call myself a reprobated, unprincipled degenerate. Yes I'm a 4 year- paid user, so I am entitled to an opinion, I guess. I have Poweramp and Gonemad, so I'll go with Gone until I learn to love Power again.

p.s., this is my first post because I haven't had a reason to post before now

11 hours ago, Rabangus said:

You are indeed 100% wrong my friend. Get yourself some decent headphones (in general at least $200+) and you can tell in an instant if a track is only 160kb/s. Of course there are a lot of other factors like recording quality etc, but with with decent headphones you can definitely tell the difference between 320kb/s and a lossless encoded track (usually flac)... Which is why I use Poweramp because of it's superior audio decoding and hi res output.

You have made my point; the vast majority of people cannot hear the difference. Not to mention, there are very few phones with good DAC. And of course, are you going to carry around $200+ headphones to use with your phone? Probably not. So, in the real world, you are probably wasting space on your phone. 

But that really wasn't the point of the discussion, the bigger point was is this information valuable during playback and track selection? I believe it has zero benefit. "Oh, look I stole this song from the internet and it was encoded at 96 kbps, it is my favorite song, but with that bit rate I guess I'm not going to listen to it." Uh huh. Now it may be important when you are stealing those songs, or ripping a CD and you choose to use a higher bit rate. On the main player screen and in the lists, it has zero benefit. Well at least to me, so again, having options to disable/enable it would be the perfect solution.

Having the bit rate displayed would be like having a sign on every woman that told you the size of her breasts. “Oh, look her sign says she only has a B cup, gorgeous face and fantastic personality but with that breast size I’m going to pass.” God forbid we have a sign that says how short our dicks are! lol

Just my nickels worth of opinion.

/ \Ignorance aside.... yes options would be nice for the vast tastes in design. Personally i'm like the new UI besides those hideous black boxes over my wonderfully tagged embedded album art. And I suppose some odd spacing could be tightened up.

And lol at people complaining about the vizualizor as if you couldn't turn that off in the og beta to begin with......

9 minutes ago, vijer said:

You have made my point; the vast majority of people cannot hear the difference. Not to mention, there are very few phones with good DAC. And of course, are you going to carry around $200+ headphones to use with your phone? Probably not. So, in the real world, you are probably wasting space on your phone. 

I guess we are looking at this from very different standpoints, because yes, I often wear my £500+ headphones when I'm out and about, and wouldn't dream of ever using cheap headphones because it would be the audio equivalent of watching a film with sunglasses on - you just wouldn't get the detail..

As for displaying the bitrate, I find it useful and definitely want to be able to easily access it. I like what Max has done with it in this build. I don't see how having audio information displayed in a music app (where is is very relevant) is equivalent to displaying vital statistics on people (where it isn't really relevant (for most people! lol)).

29 minutes ago, vijer said:

But that really wasn't the point of the discussion, the bigger point was is this information valuable during playback and track selection? I believe it has zero benefit. "Oh, look I stole this song from the internet and it was encoded at 96 kbps, it is my favorite song, but with that bit rate I guess I'm not going to listen to it." Uh huh. Now it may be important when you are stealing those songs, or ripping a CD and you choose to use a higher bit rate. On the main player screen and in the lists, it has zero benefit. Well at least to me, so again, having options to disable/enable it would be the perfect solution.

Having the bit rate displayed would be like having a sign on every woman that told you the size of her breasts. “Oh, look her sign says she only has a B cup, gorgeous face and fantastic personality but with that breast size I’m going to pass.” God forbid we have a sign that says how short our dicks are! lol

Just my nickels worth of opinion.

I use a Note 5 with a pair of $1400 IEMS and I am certainly not a few selected individuals that do that. I do carry around a portable DAC too and maybe unbeknownst to you, women do get classified by breasts size by men daily. Maybe not to you and not me, but there are many out there that places special significance to certain female anatomy.  But I digress.

The bitrate information may not be important to you, you seemed to unable to accept that it may be important to some people. Implementing 'Choice' into the UI may be easy, it could also be hard by adding another layer of complexity into the lines of codes that may or may not break something else. Again, coding my be easy to certain people, it may not to others.

If you have read the message that I was trying to convey to you and many others, it's to learn to appreciate that you are getting something for free and you can voice out your suggestions when Max is asking for it. I did not see Max asking for it now though. I have my certain qualms on the UI, but I am not about to dictate Max to implement choices so that it could satisfy my selfish needs.

I hope this is message is clear enough for you unless you would like me to go excruciatingly exact on your 'demands'. 

12 minutes ago, Rabangus said:

I guess we are looking at this from very different standpoints, because yes, I often wear my £500+ headphones when I'm out and about, and wouldn't dream of ever using cheap headphones because it would be the audio equivalent of watching a film with sunglasses on - you just wouldn't get the detail..

As for displaying the bitrate, I find it useful and definitely want to be able to easily access it. I like what Max has done with it in this build. I don't see how having audio information displayed in a music app (where is is very relevant) is equivalent to displaying vital statistics on people (where it isn't really relevant (for most people! lol)).

You're that guy I see walking around! lol

You get the point though, some people find it useful some don't. As such there should be an option. Some people here are claiming it would be too difficult for Max to do, which is nonsense. I don't code for a living but I've done enough to know that setting a flag to flip the display of a container is child's play. 

1 minute ago, Imperfection said:

I use a Note 5 with a pair of $1400 IEMS and I am certainly not a few selected individuals that do that. I do carry around a portable DAC too and maybe unbeknownst to you, women do get classified by breasts size by men daily. Maybe not to you and not me, but there are many out there that places special significance to certain female anatomy.  But I digress.

The bitrate information may not be important to you, you seemed to unable to accept that it may be important to some people. Implementing 'Choice' into the UI may be easy, it could also be hard by adding another layer of complexity into the lines of codes that may or may not break something else. Again, coding my be easy to certain people, it may not to others.

If you have read the message that I was trying to convey to you and many others, it's to learn to appreciate that you are getting something for free and you can voice out your suggestions when Max is asking for it. I did not see Max asking for it now though. I have my certain qualms on the UI, but I am not about to dictate Max to implement choices so that it could satisfy my selfish needs.

I hope this is message is clear enough for you unless you would like me to go excruciatingly exact on your 'demands'. 

You are missing the point, I'm saying to me it is useless information at this point in the tracks life. But I am happy you like it, I don't need it and want to hide it.

So Max didn't ask for our opinions, when your government does something you don't like I guess you just suck it up - they didn't ask your opinion either. lol

Just now, vijer said:

You're that guy I see walking around! lol

You get the point though, some people find it useful some don't. As such there should be an option. Some people here are claiming it would be too difficult for Max to do, which is nonsense. I don't code for a living but I've done enough to know that setting a flag to flip the display of a container is child's play. 

Again, it's all about yourself. You think that it's easy to add options that will not break other functions. Do you help Max to code his Poweramp app? Because from the way you are saying, it's as if you know the lines of codes in the app itself.

It's certainly qualifies for self-entitled reply.

Just now, vijer said:

You are missing the point, I'm saying to me it is useless information at this point in the tracks life. But I am happy you like it, I don't need it and want to hide it.

So Max didn't ask for our opinions, when your government does something you don't like I guess you just suck it up - they didn't ask your opinion either. lol

No. You are missing the point. It seems comprehension is difficult for you. Please allow it to be excruciatingly clear to you:

You did not write the code for Poweramp. You do not know the amount of complexity in those lines upon lines of codes that each line wraps itself upon another. So your opinion of "flipping a flag" seems self-entitled.

You are getting a free upgrade, so you should learn to appreciate the goodwill from Max. Unless you want him to charge for future v4 releases to meet your demand of 'choice'.