Poweramp for Android Auto

Phrosh

This is a bridge to enable support for Poweramp in Android Auto.

To make Poweramp visible in Android Auto you need to enter the developer settings in Android Auto and enable "unknown sources":
https://9to5google.com/2018/01/12/how-to-enable-android-auto-developer-settings-android-basics

Please enable "Alyways Process Album Art" in the Poweramp Settings > Album Cover (feature of Poweramp v3) to ensure the correct album art is shown when the device is in sleep mode.

Use Poweramp Build 709 for best support. Anything above might fail.

Key features:
- Playback control (no sh*t, Sherlock)
- Display album art
- Repeat and shuffle mode
- Access playlists from the menu
- Notifications on title change

If you like to give me a cookie or two, here is a link :)
https://paypal.me/phrosh

Download 1.0.2 ]

funk2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you for your job, but I have a problem with the album art, I don' t find the "Always Process Album Art" in the Poweramp Settings > Album Cover", even translating menus in English!!!

Can somebody tell me where I can find this option, or is it an option in the beta Poweramp???

Thank you very much!

14 hours ago, jaxtherogue said:

This is great. Sent a bit of cash for this.  Any possible way of providing access to albums/artist library in Poweramp?

Hey, thank you mate :)

Yes, this would be possible. But Android Auto does not provide a search bar or similar feature in a "media" Auto app and you would have to manually scroll through all your artists / albums.

I thought scrolling through artists and albums while driving could be way too dangerous, so I decided to only include playlists into the menu. And if you just want to search for some stuff to listen to while not moving, you are always faster to grab your phone and search in Poweramp itself.

@freewee: Oh, I did not know that this is a new feature. Edited my post - thanks for the info :)

On 8/4/2018 at 2:01 PM, Phrosh said:

@freewee: Oh, I did not know that this is a new feature. Edited my post - thanks for the info

Hi  I wanted to say the "7" version of Poweramp..I was using the "2" version, and was thinking the next was "3"?

Since the last Android Auto update, nothing is working for me , the first track of my random list opens, but impossible to change the track...When choosing google play musique in Android Auto, I have no problem for changing the tracks...

Am I alone for this problem???

I have more than 1000 album, and put a playlist of the album on each album folder; could it be a reason for this behavior???

Thank you

On 8/10/2018 at 10:21 PM, freewee said:

Hi  I wanted to say the "7" version of Poweramp..I was using the "2" version, and was thinking the next was "3"?

Since the last Android Auto update, nothing is working for me , the first track of my random list opens, but impossible to change the track...When choosing google play musique in Android Auto, I have no problem for changing the tracks...

Am I alone for this problem???

I have more than 1000 album, and put a playlist of the album on each album folder; could it be a reason for this behavior???

Thank you

It's still called v3 here everywhere ;).

No, you are not alone with this - I have the same issue and probably anyone else using the Poweramp API. It is caused by the new Poweramp update, not the Android Auto update. Unfortunately I can't do anything about this, because of the changes made to the app. I made a post about this issue in this thread, where everyone else also complains about the buggyness of the new release ^^.

This issue - and the fact that playlist shuffle does not seem to work anymore (which is even more annoying, when you sit in your car and can not skip tracks anymore :D ) are the cause I just downgraded my Poweramp to the old 709 version. You should do the same - the new, buggy version just erased a >1000 song playlist by just selecting it to be played. Fortunately I had a recent backup of it. 

I downgraded with an old TitaniumBackup backup. There probably is another way to do this - but beware: uninstalling the app will erase your app data and also your playlists, if not exported as .m3u.

Long story short: I can't do anything about this right now - this is an issue with the new buggy version. You have to downgrade to an earlier version of Poweramp until this bug is fixed by maxmp ?

• 3 weeks later...

After installing that, my Android auto shows "Android auto has stopped working" and I can't use Poweramp 

(xiaomi mi a1, Poweramp v793) 

Edit: 795 version does the same. 

Is there any chance to make it work on the newest versions? 

The temoprary solution to use Android auto with the newest Poweramp is app called "AnyAudioAuto" I found on XDA, but I think, using "native" Poweramp for Android auto would be the best option 

I'm guessing that you are using oreo. The problem is not in this module, but in Poweramp itself. Services are crashing if you are not start Poweramp before you start any external tool.

Its fine on Nougat, and the previous beta (709) is working fine on Oreo too.

On 8/31/2018 at 4:18 PM, yrek150 said:

After installing that, my Android auto shows "Android auto has stopped working" and I can't use Poweramp 

(xiaomi mi a1, Poweramp v793) 

Edit: 795 version does the same. 

Is there any chance to make it work on the newest versions? 

The temoprary solution to use Android auto with the newest Poweramp is app called "AnyAudioAuto" I found on XDA, but I think, using "native" Poweramp for Android auto would be the best option 

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/21/2018 at 7:53 PM, fatal said:

@Phrosh Great stuff, I have one issue, when I start the module in AA the phone switch the activity to Poweramp and then I have manually switch back to AA. Can you fix this?

Actually, I did this on purpose to ensure Poweramp is running when using AA. Most of the users will use AA within their car entertainment system so the opening Poweramp app won't bother them. Maybe I could include a settings screen where you can configure the behavior of Poweramp Auto, but then it will definitely be shown in the app drawer... 

10 hours ago, Phrosh said:

Actually, I did this on purpose to ensure Poweramp is running when using AA. Most of the users will use AA within their car entertainment system so the opening Poweramp app won't bother them. Maybe I could include a settings screen where you can configure the behavior of Poweramp Auto, but then it will definitely be shown in the app drawer... 

It would be great. I'm using it on my car screen, but this bothering me a little, because sometimes a start AA before plug into my car and configure the GPS. However if it was on music screen, it switches the task immediately. :) Actually, there is a settings for this in Poweramp to keep the service alive, so the system won't close it. The setting could be useful. :) I'm using PowerAMPCAR currently because of this, but it has its own bugs (sometimes it crashes the whole AA when I got a phone call, or dialing,  I think that causes it because if I switch to playerpro the issue is gone), and your version has more settings (like the shuffle/repeat). :)

11 hours ago, MichaelvK said:

Hi all, 

It took me a while but finally got it working.

(Didn't see the download at first)

Is there an implementation planned with Poweramp without the separate api?

Cheers!

Max said it's planned, actually his exact words were "It's top priority for v4", but we need to wait until it happens. :)

4 hours ago, Phrosh said:

With the option to keep the service alive, I don't think that I need to start Poweramp at all - so I postponed the options panel to when it is really needed and just removed the part where Poweramp is automatically launched. 

Enjoy the new release, @fatal :D 

Wow, fantastic! Thanks! Will try it tomorrow :)

5 hours ago, Phrosh said:

With the option to keep the service alive, I don't think that I need to start Poweramp at all - so I postponed the options panel to when it is really needed and just removed the part where Poweramp is automatically launched. 

Enjoy the new release, @fatal :D 

A Quick test on the phone: It looks great, Poweramp hasn't start, cool :) Unfortunately it crashes if I slide de side menu, "playlist" shows, but then it crashes. And sometimes the play and previous/next track buttons are missing from the tiles on AA main screen. I will test it tomorrow in the car. :) Album art doesn't show up, but that's a Poweramp issue I guess because it was not work with the other plugin and it's wrong on BT too.

I have the 797 build (RC) if it matters, Android Auto is the latest v3.6.

Edit: LogCat

09-26 00:59:38.222 E/DatabaseUtils(20847): android.database.sqlite.SQLiteException: no such table: folder_playlist_entries (code 1): , while compiling: SELECT folder_playlists._id, folder_playlists.name, folder_playlists.path, (SELECT COUNT(*) FROM folder_playlist_entries WHERE playlist_id=folder_playlists._id) AS _track_count FROM playlists ORDER BY path
09-26 00:59:38.222 E/DatabaseUtils(20847):     at android.database.sqlite.SQLiteConnection.nativePrepareStatement(Native Method)
09-26 00:59:38.222 E/DatabaseUtils(20847):     at android.database.sqlite.SQLiteConnection.acquirePreparedStatement(SQLiteConnection.java:889)
09-26 00:59:38.222 E/DatabaseUtils(20847):     at android.database.sqlite.SQLiteConnection.prepare(SQLiteConnection.java:500)
09-26 00:59:38.222 E/DatabaseUtils(20847):     at android.database.sqlite.SQLiteSession.prepare(SQLiteSession.java:588)
09-26 00:59:38.222 E/DatabaseUtils(20847):     at android.database.sqlite.SQLiteProgram.<init>(SQLiteProgram.java:58)
09-26 00:59:38.222 E/DatabaseUtils(20847):     at android.database.sqlite.SQLiteQuery.<init>(SQLiteQuery.java:37)
09-26 00:59:38.222 E/DatabaseUtils(20847):     at android.database.sqlite.SQLiteDirectCursorDriver.query(SQLiteDirectCursorDriver.java:44)
09-26 00:59:38.222 E/DatabaseUtils(20847):     at android.database.sqlite.SQLiteDatabase.rawQueryWithFactory(SQLiteDatabase.java:1327)
09-26 00:59:38.222 E/DatabaseUtils(20847):     at android.database.sqlite.SQLiteQueryBuilder.query(SQLiteQueryBuilder.java:399)
09-26 00:59:38.222 E/DatabaseUtils(20847):     at android.database.sqlite.SQLiteQueryBuilder.query(SQLiteQueryBuilder.java:333)
09-26 00:59:38.222 E/DatabaseUtils(20847):     at com.maxmpz.audioplayer.rest.RestProvider.l1l1(":617)
09-26 00:59:38.222 E/DatabaseUtils(20847):     at com.maxmpz.audioplayer.rest.RestProvider.query(":294)
09-26 00:59:38.222 E/DatabaseUtils(20847):     at android.content.ContentProvider.query(ContentProvider.java:1020)
09-26 00:59:38.222 E/DatabaseUtils(20847):     at android.content.ContentProvider$Transport.query(ContentProvider.java:239)
09-26 00:59:38.222 E/DatabaseUtils(20847):     at android.content.ContentProviderNative.onTransact(ContentProviderNative.java:112)
09-26 00:59:38.222 E/DatabaseUtils(20847):     at android.os.Binder.execTransact(Binder.java:565)

From this it looks like Poweramp is crashing, can it be because you are using an older version of the SDK or is it a bug in the latest PA?

Yup, try downgrading to 709 - Since the new version erased a 1000+ entry playlist of mine I am very cautious with the new releases and can not test the "new API" properly.
I will TitaniumBackup the hell out of Poweramp and come back to this, supporting 797+. Disappearing buttons also seem an issue of intents not being properly received by the API...

Thx for the logcat - My avatar likes it ;)

25 minutes ago, Phrosh said:

Yup, try downgrading to 709 - Since the new version erased a 1000+ entry playlist of mine I am very cautious with the new releases and can not test the "new API" properly.
I will TitaniumBackup the hell out of Poweramp and come back to this, supporting 797+. Disappearing buttons also seem an issue of intents not being properly received by the API...

Thx for the logcat - My avatar likes it ;)

I have various issues with the newer builds too, so I'm thinking about downgrading too and wait for final version. Thanks for the info. :)

By the way does the plugin opensource and uploaded it somewhere?

14 minutes ago, Phrosh said:

So... 1.0.2 *should* work with both APIs. Still not tested with the new one, but as @flyingdutchman found out, the main difference is the change in table names (which is basically your logcat) so I added a try-catch to support both APIs. Let me know if it worked ^^

I've just downgraded to 790 but will test it tomorrow. :)

Does the plugin resets the media volume on purpose (or use it's own media volume)? It's not bothering me at all, just found out that even if I pull down media volume on the phone, the next time I start auto the music is loud. I was just surprised because I was testing at home and it's late here :D

Archived