Good reverb settings

Martin Medrano

• 1 year later...

Anyone who tells you that reverb is useless has never been to a concert, doesn't know the difference between hearing music and feeling music, and has no idea what they are talking about.
This link will help you to understand some of the settings that Poweramp uses. From there study the presets and adjust to your liking.

https://www.emusician.com/gear/cheat-sheet-reverb-parameters 

As I said above, it's up to the individual how they want their music to sound. Reverb can change the way music sounds (more like the echos of a large hall for example). Whether you want that, or you want your music reproduced as purely matching the recording engineer's sound design as possible, is personal choice.

Andre

To clarify, what I originally said was:

Music purists would say there are no good reverb settings, otherwise the mastering engineer would have added them to the mix in the studio.

But it's up to your and your musical taste of course, have fun getting a sound you enjoy.

So my recommendation was basically to set the reverb controls to flat, like the more recent comment from @mr_space. Other people's thoughts may be different of course,  and there are occasions you may want to recreate different acoustics, hence my second sentence. Generally speaking, Poweramp's design philosophy is to reproduce as faithful a recreation of the original sound as possible, but you can always tweak and adjust that to your own taste.

It's always good to get more than one possible option, but comments such as your contention that someone with a differing opinion "has no idea what they are talking about" are not helpful.

Andre

Alrighty let's clarify;

On 7/6/2018 at 6:02 PM, Martin Medrano said:

I want some suggestions for reverb settings

The original posting is asking FOR settings and YOU and the other poster suggested NO settings. I myself was searching for the SAME answers (how to set reverb) when I came upon this post, hoping for answers. What do I find? Two recommendations to do NOTHING. Absolutely useless information on how to set the reverb. Had to do my own google research to find information on the subject, such as what does DAMP mean or do. Then figured I'd share it with others looking for the SAME answers.

As I keep saying, it's personal choice how (or if) you set your reverb settings, everyone has their own opinions varying between wanting to hear the music as the band and studio engineers intended it, to making it sound like you are listening to music in an echoey cathedral or stadium. Your earlier post and link were helpful in outlining what reverb does to your music, and thank you for sharing it.

Andre

Archived