AVRCP 1.4 capable for album art and browser control??

shadango

Hi folks.

I have been using Poweramp for a couple years now and love it.   Love the UI, and  it seems to be very robust.   I havent tried other apps other than what came with my phones...no need to IMHO with Poweramp.

Anyways, I recently installed a Rockford Fosgate PMX2 marine receiver with bluetooth.

Crutchfield advertises it as such:

The Rockford Fosgate PMX-2 offers built-in Bluetooth (version 3.0+EDR) for wireless music playback from your Bluetooth-enabled Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad, Android smartphone/tablet, Windows phone, Blackberry, and more. You are able to stream stored music and music apps from your Bluetooth device to the PMX-2 marine receiver. You can control basic playback functions like Play/Pause, Previous Next/Track and Repeat/Shuffle for stored music and music apps on your device. When using a Bluetooth AVRCP 1.4 compatible device like the Apple iPhone (iOS 5.0+) or an Android smartphone (OS 4.0+), you can even browse your stored music by category (Playlist/Artist/Song/Genre). The PMX-2 will also display your device's song/artist information with album art.

I can play music just fine.....I can use the track skip buttons and I can pause the music. The song title and album title appears on screen.  BUT ---no album art (not a huge deal to me) but more importantly I am not able to use the browser they have in the unit to pick an artist, album etc.

Now that's Crutchfield's website.  RF's website is a little more sketchy:

The PMX-2 features...... Pandora control capabilities and Bluetooth audio streaming with album art support for Apple and Android products

I called Rockford Fosgate and the guy there said "I am an apple guy so I cant really help, our android guys are out"....I am waiting for them to get back to me......

My phone is a Moto G5 Plus, OS 7.0, and I am using PowrAMp build 709 paid version.

I am hesitant to try any other audio player apps....I trust Poweramp and frankly it does more than I need it to do......so much junk out there , tough to know what to trust.....

But should Poweramp be able to supply the data needed to the RF PMX2?

On 6/12/2018 at 12:56 PM, andrewilley said:

Sounds like the features they are mentioning and when your Rockford device is playing music files directly from a Bluetooth device (i.e. streamed from the phone's local storage) rather than when it is acting as an output device for PA.

Andre

But doesn't ANY playback of music from a android device require a player?

When I connect to my phone to play the music, Poweramp is the app that comes up playing the song.

3 hours ago, andrewilley said:

Not necessarily, the external device could just be requesting to read the physical files directly (with your phone acting like a USB stick).

Andre

I do find that when I fire up the RF PMX2, my Poweramp starts playing automatically where it had left off.

So I do not believe it is doing that. When I stop PA, the music stops.

The cheapie bluetooth plug in reciever for my car and the stereo in my garage works the same way.....starts Poweramp.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/20/2018 at 8:04 PM, andrewilley said:

If you are asking whether Poweramp sends full library listings and cover art to Bluetooth head-units, I don't think it does (it never has for me anyway). Have you ever seen that work from PA on your device?

Andre

No..........thats why I am asking.

The PMX2 supports it, in theory......at least with iDevices.....now I am learning apparently not with android.....but wanted to confirm that and the first step is finding an app that DOES support it on android....

Archived