Audio skips after update

archedmaid

Poweramp recently updated to build 709 and since then I hear audio skips during play, previously I had no skipping. It sounds like a slight delay in the audio, maybe a slow down for a brief moment, about a second. It doesnt happen constantly, but it happens often enough that it's noticeable.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/25/2018 at 6:59 PM, andrewilley said:

Try increasing the audio buffer size (or change the audio output method) in Settings > Audio > Output

Andre

Would this suggestion help with what I call "dropouts"?  Music intermittently just stops and starts again in the same spot.....  

(Version 709 paid, Android 7.0, MOTO G5 Plus)

4 hours ago, shadango said:

Would this suggestion help with what I call "dropouts"?  Music intermittently just stops and starts again in the same spot.....  

Very likely, yes. If this happens when the screen is off by the way, also check that your Android settings are configured so it doesn't try to put PA into a low power state when the screen goes off. 

Andre

38 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

Very likely, yes. If this happens when the screen is off by the way, also check that your Android settings are configured so it doesn't try to put PA into a low power state when the screen goes off. 

Andre

Thanks...I am bumping the buffer size up too 100ms x 4,,,...wondering what side effects this could cause?

I mean, why make it adjustable to begin with if more is better?

How does one check the BT settings as far as power state?  Cant locate on my phone..... 

Increasing the buffer size can make the latency slower (longer reaction to track changes, etc) but should compensate if read speed is a problem.

In your Android settings check the power saving options, and make sure Poweramp is excluded from power save sleep mode.

Andre

2 hours ago, andrewilley said:

Increasing the buffer size can make the latency slower (longer reaction to track changes, etc) but should compensate if read speed is a problem.

In your Android settings check the power saving options, and make sure Poweramp is excluded from power save sleep mode.

Andre

No change with the buffer set this way.

But a question.....are there issues with Poweramp playing WMA files?

AFter having the same issue after changing the buffer setting, as a test I loaded a player called "Black" and tried it......it didnt see my wma files at first ,and once I got them to  be seen, they wouldnt play....

So I played another album, which is in mp3 format....and not one dropout.

Then , I tried Poweramp playing that same file....and only one short dropout the entire first 3 or 4 songs. So a definate improvement. Seconds before that I tried playing a wma file and it had drops.

SO thats why I am wondering if the WMA format is the problem? 

Compared to Black, Poweramp is much cleaner IMHO as far as interface....RALLY want to keep it.....but before I go an convert 60+ ripped albums to MP3, I would like to be sure...LOL

11 hours ago, andrewilley said:

PA can play WMA files, but to be honest I've never really tried it in anger. It does sound like there is something odd with your files though. 

Andre

Well, I switched to WMA a long while back because of the huge difference in storage size......one song is 1.6 mb in WMA and 3.5 mb in MP3

I am using windows media player to do the ripping....is MP3 just naturally a larger file or maybe I have some setting wrong?

I am trying to see if I can duplicate the dropouts and see what the common factor is but so far no luck.

I do find that my WMA files seem to be ripped at different bitrates...as of right now, seems like the files I have ripped at 192 kbps have an occasional dropout and the ones at 142 kbps dont but I cant confirm that since the test results are sketchy......

I am going to bumpy my buffers all the way up to max...8 buffers, 100 ms and see what happens.

14 minutes ago, shadango said:

Well, I switched to WMA a long while back because of the huge difference in storage size......one song is 1.6 mb in WMA and 3.5 mb in MP3

The consensus seems to be that WMA handles very low bitrate encoding (e.g. 64kbps) somewhat better than the same bitrates in MP3 files, so it can sound better for very small file sizes. However on a like-for-like basis, using a decent MP3 encoder engine such as LAME, MP3 usually sounds better for larger bitrates (e.g. 128kbps and up). Personally I find around 192k VBR using LAME is the sweet spot where I can't easily tell an MP3 from the original.

Andre

Just now, andrewilley said:

The consensus seems to be that WMA handles very low bitrate encoding (e.g. 64kbps) somewhat better than the same bitrates in MP3 files, so it can sound better for very small file sizes. However on a like-for-like basis, using a decent MP3 encoder engine such as LAME, MP3 usually sounds better for larger bitrates (e.g. 128kbps and up). Personally I find around 192k VBR using LAME is the sweet spot where I can't easily tell an MP3 from the original.

Andre

But wow...the file size is like 3:1..........ouch. LOL

20 minutes ago, shadango said:

But wow...the file size is like 3:1..........ouch. LOL

Only if the bitrates are horribly smaller. The filesize is based on bitrate (with extra for cover art if you've got large images in there too).

A 128k WMA file should be about the same filesize as a 128k MP3. What bitrates are the two files you are comparing? (128k is the lowest I would even consider normally)

Andre

On 6/12/2018 at 12:58 PM, andrewilley said:

Andre

Andre, can you clue me in on where to look for this setting?

Maxing out the latency/buffer setting in PA helped a good bit with dropouts it seems, but still have some.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

The skipping is annoying. 

Other players no skipping only PA skips no matter the buffer size. 

I tried all similar players no skips and I don't want to use old version but last of V2

What do I do 

I use Redmi note 5 plus

It doesn't skip on my LG V20 but that's not my primary phone. 

6 hours ago, fullmetal_soldier said:

I have been facing audio skip issues since the v858 update even though I didn't make any changes in the settings. I am using a Motorola one action which has an exynos 9609 chip.

Plz guide me through this.

Follow the advice in the thread to start with, as much of it still applies even though it was mostly written about earlier  beta-test releases of the app. Also try setting the output modes back to defaults (in Settings > Audio > Output).

Andre

Archived