Poweramp alpha build-705 - Updates for high-res & notifications within old (feature-complete) user interface

maxmp

I must say Hi-Res experimental output works nicely this time on my HTC 10 (stock Android 8.0). No problems, no crashes, the audio latency is much smaller than before on the old alpha 704, DVC works with the output.

Also I much prefer the new UI from the beta preview. After using this build 705, I can recognize how much nicer the new UI is for me.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, mahalata said:

@maxmp,

HTC10. When I enable the Hi-res output, the sounds comes out of the speakers only, not from the headphones. Where is the problem?

Also, isn't it possible to make the output to always match the source's sample frequency? This would be a great addition which would prevent us to manually change it every time we play a different source.

Try setting dither to none. I had the same problem until I disabled dithering

2 hours ago, maxmp said:

It's not mentioned in changelog, but there is a small fix in 705 for some devices which fail to initialize open gl surface (e.g. Samsungs @ 8.0) sometimes on startup.

705 opens with no Oreo issues and is everything I wished 703/704 to be!  Notification works as well as HD Output. 

I'm a button kind of guy and although the new 790 is very cool I think I will now stick with 705 on my S8 with 8.0.

Brilliant, thank you Max!!

Before i buy i have a couple of questions.

Will all the features of v3 work on the samsung S5 from AT&T running 6.0.1? I know it will run on android 5.0 and above. Just want to make sure all the features will work on my phone.

If i buy it today will i be able to upgrade to v4 when it comes out without rebuying??

On 12/5/2018 at 6:13 AM, maxmp said:

Yes, this is "stable" alpha with the old but complete UI. The Outputs and Notifications are now shared between both branches and will appear in next Beta builds as well.

Thanks for the update. I'm looking forward to seeing it working with the 790 version interface ;)

Keep up with the great work! 

4 hours ago, aperez said:

Try setting dither to none. I had the same problem until I disabled dithering

Dither is always disabled for me. Anyway, it got fixed by itself somehow. Today I tried again and it worked. I don't know how, I didn't touch anything.

16 hours ago, andrewilley said:

From Max's previous postings (and assuming this version follows the same rules) Oreo users should not be trying to use the "High-Res Experimental" mode (which is for Android 7 and blow) but instead select "OpenSL ES HD" mode on Android 8+.

Andre

HTC 10 8.0 user here.  Experimental works great now compared to 704 when it was very likely to crash when skipping songs.  As someone else said, Open SL ES HD doesn't appear to be an option.

No Hi-Res mode and no wired option for OpenSL ES HD. I have a OnePlus 3T running Havoc OS Android 8.1. I was running Resurrection Remix before and the options went there then either. I have OpenSL ES HD option for Bluetooth and USB though.

18 hours ago, mahalata said:

Dither is always disabled for me. Anyway, it got fixed by itself somehow. Today I tried again and it worked. I don't know how, I didn't touch anything.

Weird. Another thing I've noticed is that when I was playing audio from other app to the speakers and then open Poweramp and play via headset the sound is all messed up

On 5/13/2018 at 10:26 AM, andrewilley said:

From Max's previous postings (and assuming this version follows the same rules) Oreo users should not be trying to use the "High-Res Experimental" mode (which is for Android 7 and blow) but instead select "OpenSL ES HD" mode on Android 8+.

Andre

Build-705 actually enables Direct Hi-Res Output for 8+ devices as well (all snapdragon devices, except Samsungs). Anyway, for any particular device, either Direct Hi-Res or OSL HD is supported, never both.

From audio point of view, they are the same, these are just 2 technically different ways of providing Hi-Res audio.

3 hours ago, utahman1971 said:

I went back to 704 because at least that one with Hi Res I can use DVC until I either get Oreo or this one is fixed from 705. The loss of DVC on Nougat is a disappointment. Turned auto update off in Google Play store, so I would not get the 705. It is like I never saw version 790 or 705, if I am back using 704.

For Samsungs @ 7.0 Hi-Res DVC is disabled because there is no Hi-Res output (despite previous version or build-790 potentially working on those phones). There is double/triple resampling happening instead. I would suggest non-Hi-Res output or non-DVC + no equ.

Hi-Res + DVC is a bit weird combination from audiophile point of view, as DVC allows very deep equalization - such equalization is not a goal of Hi-Res audio :)

8 hours ago, maxmp said:

For Samsungs @ 7.0 Hi-Res DVC is disabled because there is no Hi-Res output (despite previous version or build-790 potentially working on those phones). There is double/triple resampling happening instead. I would suggest non-Hi-Res output or non-DVC + no equ.

Hi-Res + DVC is a bit weird combination from audiophile point of view, as DVC allows very deep equalization - such equalization is not a goal of Hi-Res audio :)

Thanks Max, disabling DVC also caused a slight volume increase ?

8 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

And if you don't use heavy EQ boosting, you might get a further increase in volume if you also tick the No Headroom Gain option.

Andre

I think this could be some issue with MIUI, moving the pre-amp slider down and up again took the volume boost away. 

The 'No headroom gain' option also has the same effect as the pre-amp slider - the volume drops. No perceivable difference in sound quality ofcourse.

Archived