Poll: Where should the Title/Artist/Album wording be displayed - overlaid over Cover Art or below it?

andrewilley

Where should the Title/Artist/Album wording be displayed?  

653 members have voted

1. 1. Where should the Title/Artist/Album wording be displayed - overlaid over Cover Art or below it?

• It's great just the way it is, no need to change anything
    • It's fine where it is, but I'd prefer the boxes to use the current colour scheme and have rounded corners to match the overall theme
    • I would prefer a user-selectable option to allow the wording to be displayed underneath the cover art rather than obscuring it (for example, at the bottom of the scrolling navigation bar area)
    • I'd definitely like the option to display the wording below the cover art, but if the user does choose the overlaid boxes mode then they should match the overall theme & colour scheme - i.e. both (2) and (3) above
    • I really hate it, I want to see just the cover artwork without ever having it obscured by overlaid text

On 5/8/2018 at 3:55 AM, andrewilley said:

A lot of people in the main discussion thread for build 790 have been saying that they don't like the way that Title/Artist/Album text is currently overlaid in solid black boxes obscuring the lower-left of the album artwork. This occurs in both the main Player Screen and also in Grid View library lists. I thought a poll might be interesting to crystallise those views, and gauge what the overall userbase really thinks - maybe the majority are happy just the way it is?

For clarity, we're talking about the black boxes containing the wording "Breakfast in America" and "The Very Best of Supertramp" in this sample image:

Screenshot_2018-05-08-09-28-49.png

This is not binding of course, but it'd be interesting to see the results.

Andre

Hi Andre, 

I think it would be best BELOW the cover art. Cover art shouldn't be obstructed. Having it below makes it neater and less messy. 

Great thread!!

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is there a way to switch the album name with the artist name? Like the picture above, the artist name is never displayed because the album name is to long. There is also no animation to display the artist name in this situation 

As a designer myself, I really like this design change in v3 and I feel it is aesthetically great. Gives the player a more natural organic feel rather than just another music player app. 

Doesn't even have to follow rounded corners theme. Maybe if the album art doesn't have rounded corners, it could look better. 

But if people dislike it, maybe give an option to show it somewhere else. 

If you take a look at the green rectangle I've marked, I feel like that part occupies a little too much space than is necessary for just play/pause and forward/backward buttons (don't mind the repeat,shuffles and  visualisation buttons, I accidentally included them in that rectangle). If you can decrease that area's size and hold that thought while you look at the orange rectangle I've highlighted, that part is totally not necessary. It was really nice the way it previously was with the three dots that expanded a menu with all the necessary options.

Considering these two parts, a lot of space can be made to adjust the song's tags instead of putting them on the cover art.

I don't like anything on top my cover art. The cover art is important for me and I don't want anything obscuring it. An option to choose to change where the tags are displayed would be greatly appreciated. I love all the other visual upgrades you guys have made in v3.

Screenshot_2018-10-19-02-22-03-589_com.maxmpz.audioplayer.png

On 10/18/2018 at 4:04 PM, NeilPete said:

If you take a look at the green rectangle I've marked, I feel like that part occupies a little too much space than is necessary for just play/pause and forward/backward buttons (don't mind the repeat,shuffles and  visualisation buttons, I accidentally included them in that rectangle). If you can decrease that area's size and hold that thought while you look at the orange rectangle I've highlighted, that part is totally not necessary. It was really nice the way it previously was with the three dots that expanded a menu with all the necessary options.

Considering these two parts, a lot of space can be made to adjust the song's tags instead of putting them on the cover art.

I don't like anything on top my cover art. The cover art is important for me and I don't want anything obscuring it. An option to choose to change where the tags are displayed would be greatly appreciated. I love all the other visual upgrades you guys have made in v3.

Screenshot_2018-10-19-02-22-03-589_com.maxmpz.audioplayer.png

I COMPLETELY agree Pete! It doesn't make any sense to cover it up. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/20/2018 at 3:23 AM, andrewilley said:

Just as a reminder, there are already some early v3 skins which support not having the album art covered by the black text boxes, for example: 

Andre

Maybe so but the point is that the cover art shouldn't had been covered by what we see. As someone that spent a few years in graphics & designs class in high school it was a point blank stupid idea to even do that. We shouldnt have to resort to other people to create a skin to fix something that max shouldn't have designed that way to begin with.

14 minutes ago, MTK said:

shouldnt have to resort to other people to create a skin to fix something that max shouldn't have designed that way to begin with.

Be that as it may, i too hated the black boxes on top of albumart. Luckily max also provided a sdk for skins and a sample layout with the text below albumart. I am working on a skin removing the black background, removing the rounding of albumart and other tweaks. I will make this available for free on google play

I have my solution, we can leave it the way it is but, the black boxes can dissapear in five seconds after the song starts, and then we have the whole album art, the black boxes could apper if we touch the album art, and dissapear again in 5 seconds. This would give us the full cover, and i think i would be easier to implement.

Just hide them we dont need that info and if we do, just touch and watch. 

So are these messages going anywhere and will anything be done with the feedback?

This has been dragging on since May 8 and there have been other updates since that time. 

I'm still on 702 and have to freakin' reinstall it as it automatically installs the latest version every time I charge it.

Hate, hate, hate the black box over the cover art. It's so, as my daughter would say, 'jenky' and cheap looking.

37 minutes ago, aortomus said:

I'm still on 702 and have to freakin' reinstall it as it automatically installs the latest version every time I charge it.

Are you avoiding the newer updates only because of the black boxes?

There are a couple of (free) skins which move the boxes below the art:

Also, on the Google Play Store, you can un-check "enable auto update" for your Poweramp app:

Screenshot_2018-10-31-09-47-16.thumb.png.1671b8d76b558d1af06603c68b3b3efd.png

I hope that helps.

Yep, only because of the artwork. It's my OCD. I have Hi Res artwork and  obsessively upgrading to 1000 x 1000 min when possible.

Avoiding PNGs for file size so the JPGs work fine but I envision someday projecting these onto a large screen (tv, etc.) while it plays so blurry, obstructed artwork will drive me crazy. Lol

I tried the skins but it says they've been removed.

Thanks for the tip on the auto install.

30 minutes ago, aortomus said:

Yep, only because of the artwork. It's my OCD. I have Hi Res artwork and  obsessively upgrading to 1000 x 1000 min when possible.

Avoiding PNGs for file size so the JPGs work fine but I envision someday projecting these onto a large screen (tv, etc.) while it plays so blurry, obstructed artwork will drive me crazy. Lol

I tried the skins but it says they've been removed.

Thanks for the tip on the auto install.

OCD hits here as well, hence I kept on requesting updates to the skins. You can check the Skins and Themes subforum to get updated with the latest info. @Andrew0 and @flyingdutchman are working on slick skins.

As for the skins that @djdarko shared, they are downloadable when I tried them. Both the light and dark.

48 minutes ago, aortomus said:

Thanks for the help on this. Needed to be signed in. Duh.

Much better and I am on the latest update.

Recommendations for audio settings?

What's your phone and android version? I do not have a recommended setup but that will depend on your audio preferences.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, MTK said:

You see this, this is nice. Album art full left to right with no album/artist name on it with black. Even though it still have stuff on it at least it doesn't have the black on it.

While I admit I just don't want anything modifying the artwork at all, I will concede that this looks extremely clean and would not bother me enough to make a thread about it.

There'd be another issue though. An extremely important one.

I can barely see the UI! And I have good vision too, anybody with even the slightest vision problem would see nothing!

2 minutes ago, RockStar2005 said:

When is this going to be resolved? Still waiting for the album info to go back to NOT blocking the album cover anymore. 

When we learn to code, of course!

There can be any number of reasons he doesn't care. But he won't tell. And I can't complain either, because I paid for the app. wait

10 minutes ago, RockStar2005 said:

When is this going to be resolved? Still waiting for the album info to go back to NOT blocking the album cover anymore. 

4 minutes ago, null said:

When we learn to code, of course!

There can be any number of reasons he doesn't care. But he won't tell. And I can't complain either, because I paid for the app. wait

I made a request to fade the titles (along with the thumbs up/down, etc.) after 2-3 seconds. And to do the same in the album list screens while inactive. I hope that makes sense. If you'd like that feature, please join in the request here:

Even if it remains at current position, we should given options to set the background translucent(maybe with blur effect), round corners or transparent background with text shadow. It shouldn't be difficult to achieve, right?

Besides, I really want seekbar in library to be back.

Archived