Poweramp v3 beta-preview-build-790 - Not yet feature-complete, read first post before commenting

maxmp

NOTE: this Beta Preview is a preview-quality software to trial the new user-interface, it is not ready for day-to-day usage.

It does not yet have all of the features of the previous Alpha release. Some functionality is not ready yet, missing, or incomplete, such as:

• Most library categories are not implemented as yet (you can only use All Songs, Folders, or Albums)
  • No List Options in Library screens
  • List/track/preset operations like deletion, adding to playlists, etc not yet supported
  • No landscape or tablet-specific layouts
  • No custom lockscreen (please turn off all PA lockscreen features if you find music stops when the screen goes to sleep)

These features will be re-added into forthcoming beta releases over the next few weeks.

Expect crashes and other strange things:) All the debug/checking code is still there.

Please make sure you backed up your previous installation, as it's not easily possible to revert to previous versions due to database format change.

Poweramp-beta-preview-build-790-uni.apk

Updated Notes: If you are downloading directly on a mobile, make sure your browser does not alter the filename - the filename extension must be ".apk" to work. Install the file using a file explorer app rather than trying to run it from your browser. If you have any crashing issues, try deleting the app cache and data, or do a complete uninstall of the old version and then try the new version as a fresh install. (Remember to backup before you do so). From this release onward, Poweramp v3 will only run on Android 5.0 and above. If you have KitKat or earlier, the old v2 release will remain available for legacy devices.

[Admin Reminder: Development timings are very hard to predict, so timescales can vary. Repeated ETA requests won't help speed up the process, and may even get your post removed as clutter]

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Changelog

• new UI (note: Poweramp v3 will now only run on Android 5.0 and above)
• new navigation:

• swipe or click album art to go to the current playing list
  • as previously, swipe album art for the next/previous track, drag more for category change (applies also to the bottom miniplayer)
  • use bottom miniplayer to return to the main ui or to change tracks
  • swipe left/right from lists for fast return
  • pinch-zoom in lists
  • and more

• new menus, panels, popups, dialogs, etc.
• new "wave" seekbar
• new visualization panel (appears when a visualization is active, NOTE: filtering/list operations don\'t work yet)
• new notifications (3 different implementations depending on Android version)
• updated Hi-Res (Exp) Output for Android 7.0 (but it doesn't work for Android 8)
• new OpenSL HD Output for Android 8.0.

NOTE: no device detection implemented yet for the new OpenSL HD Output, it will happily report it plays hi-res, even if device doesn't actually support Hi-Res Audio
The following devices have been tested with OpenSL HD and play Hi-Res properly (Android 8):
• Samsung S8/S9(+)
• Note8
• Sony XZ
• this list is incomplete :)

5 minutes ago, maxmp said:

NOTE: this Beta Preview is a preview-quality software, not ready for day-to-day usage, nor it's close in quality to the previous Alpha release

Some functionality is not ready yet, missing, or incomplete: most library categories, list/track/preset operations like deletion, adding to playlists, no landscape nor tablet layouts, no custom lockscreen, etc.

Please make sure you backed up your previous installation, as it's not easily possible to revert to previous versions due to database format change.

Poweramp-beta-preview-build-790-uni.apk

Could you possibly release an APK with a different package name, to allow it to be installed alongside the current Poweramp?

Regarding release schedule - May is set as month for a feature-complete Beta release (with the all missing parts finished), and the end of May/beginning of June'18 is the final v3 release planned period. It depends on bugs and specific device issues.

[Admin: Reminder, development timings are very hard to predict, so timescales can vary - and repeated ETA requests won't help speed up the process!]

8 minutes ago, superluig164 said:

Could you possibly release an APK with a different package name, to allow it to be installed alongside the current Poweramp?

It's possible, though, there are immediate issues with provider names collisions and shared app user. Also, it won't be possible to unlock such app (all the license info derived from v2.0 versions).

3 minutes ago, technoviking10 said:

Soon as I lock my screen, the music stops.

I installed on the top of 704, should we do a complete uninstall and reinstall?

Aggressive background apps management (either by ROM or by app)? Try to add Poweramp to exceptions, as it needs to be on background to play songs and process audio, it does that by itself :)

14 minutes ago, Bobeca said:

It doesn't start on Samsung S7 with the latest stock ROM. I get a massage 'Poweranp has stopped working' right after the main screen shows.

PS. This is after I have upgraded from the alpha version.

If you can, dump adb log cat somewhere here please. I have full spectrum of Samsung devices - and develop mostly on them - but unfortunately, mostly on Exynos chipsets (Intl., not US variants).

3 minutes ago, maxmp said:

Aggressive background apps management (either by ROM or by app)? Try to add Poweramp to exceptions, as it needs to be on background to play songs and process audio, it does that by itself :)

Thanks man,

I uninstalled completely and reinstalled and it works now

Unfortunately, there seems be no sound on my V30 regardless of any alterations I make to the settings, I will keep looking for a solution and see if I can fix it. It looks like I will just have to wait a bit longer until the beta gets closer to completion. Thank you Max for all of your hard work you put into this app, I know it must not be easy working on this all by yourself and with everyone putting pressure on you to release the update as soon as possible.

2 minutes ago, Silversmith said:

Unfortunately, there seems be no sound on my V30 regardless of any alterations I make to the settings, I will keep looking for a solution and see if I can fix it. It looks like I will just have to wait a bit longer until the beta gets closer to completion. Thank you Max for all of your hard work you put into this app, I know it must not be easy working on this all by yourself and with everyone putting pressure on you to release the update as soon as possible.

I uninstalled it and then reinstalled it and that seems to have fixed the problem.

11 minutes ago, Silversmith said:

It's interesting, I have V30 on 7.1.2 (build number N2G47H) - it works perfectly with all 4 output types, I even specifically polished (old) Hi-Res output on it (though, that will stop to work on Android 8). Does usual output (Open SL non-HD or Audiotrack) work for you? 

Ah, OK:)

Archived