Poweramp v3 beta-preview-build-790 - Not yet feature-complete, read first post before commenting

maxmp

7 minutes ago, Tristan Young said:

I am not all that surprised at the behaviour of some users.  Impatient, thinking they are owed stuff, etc.  Let's look at the details:

- People voted for a Material Design upgrade.  This doesn't make Poweramp truly better, but, sigh.... the majority want it.  Redesign and re-coding is required.

- Poweramp v2.x works great.  That's what people paid for.  It doesn't matter that it's several years old.  People got what they paid for.  Did I mention it works great?

- Poweramp v3.x is going to be a free upgrade.  That should be enough to keep people happy, but sadly, it isn't.

- Poweramp v3.x beta releases have been made available.  If you don't mind the bugs and lack of features, it might be enough for you.

- Max maintains Poweramp as a side interest.  He probably has another full-time job, and more important "family" obligations.  Developers have lives too.

- Life has a way of stirring up crap that has to be dealt with, causing other things to get shelved, delayed, and reduced in priority.  No doubt crap that's more important than Poweramp.

- Lots of people complaining about low rate of beta releases, lack of communications from the developer, and broken promises.  It doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.  Really, it doesn't.

- Poweramp is not a rip, a circus tent, or a sham.  If that was true, we wouldn't have a beta release in April 2018.  Let's be honest.  You want something new, and the silence is uncomfortable.

- Max never has to do this, or do that.

- As the first post clearly states:  [Admin Reminder: Development timings are very hard to predict, so timescales can vary. Repeated ETA requests won't help speed up the process, and may even get your post removed as clutter]

I'm happy to have found a Poweramp v3 beta that works on my phone, and provides great sound.  I can depend on it.  It doesn't crash on me.  It has never let me down.  Would it be nice to have more?  Sure, why not?  But I'd rather Max take his time and get it right, while still being able to take care of the things that truly matter in his life, whether it's a wife/husband, kids, pets, a business where he might be responsible for employing people in turn helping them put a roof over their heads, food on the table, etc.

If you're not happy with the pace of Poweramp development, may as well move on to something else.  Complaining about it produces zero results.  There are lots of other music players available; perhaps you'll find one you like.  Or, you could write a killer music app of your own, release it, make money, and better the android platform.

To Max,
Thank you for creating Poweramp, and continue to develop/upgrade it.  Looking forward to the next release.  I don't care when it comes out.  Much respect dude.  If it never comes out, at least I got more than what I paid for - v2, and some v3 betas.  Hope everything is going well with you.

+1

This should be a pinned post.

Thank you, Max and Andre.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Garry_man said:

Try neuron. Although he has a problem of quiet sound, well, the interface to a big fan. But the sound is excellent.

Looks like you're quite the spammer eh? Canvasing neutron can be done somewhere else other than this forum. And thanks for labelling Max's behaviour circus ..i see that you are trying very hard ?

3 hours ago, Tristan Young said:

I am not all that surprised at the behaviour of some users.  Impatient, thinking they are owed stuff, etc.  Let's look at the details:

- People voted for a Material Design upgrade.  This doesn't make Poweramp truly better, but, sigh.... the majority want it.  Redesign and re-coding is required.

- Poweramp v2.x works great.  That's what people paid for.  It doesn't matter that it's several years old.  People got what they paid for.  Did I mention it works great?

- Poweramp v3.x is going to be a free upgrade.  That should be enough to keep people happy, but sadly, it isn't.

- Poweramp v3.x beta releases have been made available.  If you don't mind the bugs and lack of features, it might be enough for you.

- Max maintains Poweramp as a side interest.  He probably has another full-time job, and more important "family" obligations.  Developers have lives too.

- Life has a way of stirring up crap that has to be dealt with, causing other things to get shelved, delayed, and reduced in priority.  No doubt crap that's more important than Poweramp.

- Lots of people complaining about low rate of beta releases, lack of communications from the developer, and broken promises.  It doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.  Really, it doesn't.

- Poweramp is not a rip, a circus tent, or a sham.  If that was true, we wouldn't have a beta release in April 2018.  Let's be honest.  You want something new, and the silence is uncomfortable.

- As the first post clearly states:  [Admin Reminder: Development timings are very hard to predict, so timescales can vary. Repeated ETA requests won't help speed up the process, and may even get your post removed as clutter]

I'm happy to have found a Poweramp v3 beta that works on my phone, and provides great sound.  I can depend on it.  It doesn't crash on me.  It has never let me down.  Would it be nice to have more?  Sure, why not?  But I'd rather Max take his time and get it right, while still being able to take care of the things that truly matter in his life, whether it's a wife/husband, kids, pets, a business where he might be responsible for employing people in turn helping them put a roof over their heads, food on the table, etc.

If you're not happy with the pace of Poweramp development, may as well move on to something else.  Complaining about it produces zero results.  There are lots of other music players available; perhaps you'll find one you like.  Or, you could write a killer music app of your own, release it, make money, and better the android platform.

To Max,
Thank you for creating Poweramp, and continue to develop/upgrade it.  Looking forward to the next release.  I don't care when it comes out.  Much respect dude.  If it never comes out, at least I got more than what I paid for - v2, and some v3 betas.  Hope everything is going well with you.

Agree with 99% of what you said and excellent post. My complaint you have listed... is lack of communication.. IMO unless you're in a hospital/coma etc... there is no reason that a dev can't pop in give even a simple update... a little communication can go a long way. A weekly update is not too much to ask. He hasn't even been online in coming up on 1 1/2 months.

2 minutes ago, peeshow said:

clever_man is Max ashamed of use is own name. Close this project and never say your real name in the real world, your word is worthless.

jesus, i'm annoyed at the lack of updates and communication too, but there's no reason to personally attack Max. it just makes you look like an asshole.

On 8/7/2018 at 11:42 AM, DariusTheBrain said:

What's wrong with being pissed off when promises are made that are not kept? no one would say anything if there were no promises.

You can be as pissed off as you want (completely warranted as you said), but personally attacking the developer of the app doesn't help the situation at all. It just makes you look like a total ***.

I bought Poweramp like 3 years ago and was super happy when I discovered the beta program and upgraded to alpha 709. I have not tried alpha 790 because it is not recommended for daily use and 709 does everything I want. I've tried pretty much every other audio player including jetaudio, neutron, etc. and Poweramp has the best UI for me :) 

I can't think of any features that Poweramp absolutely needs so I am happy to patiently wait for V3 because there's no bugs in Poweramp that need serious fixing (atleast from my perspective) so its not like Im waiting for something broken to be fixed, Im waiting for something awesome to possibly be made awesomer and I will happily wait for that. I hope Max releases it sooner than later but its his schedule and when he feels the product is "right" :)

There are far too many products (video games, hardware, etc) that were released early because of pressure from consumers who wanted it RIGHT NOW!!! and then they complained that it was full of bugs. Well I want Poweramp V3 RIGHT NOW!!! but I also want it to be perfect and stable and Max will release it when he feels that it is :)

44 minutes ago, imetral said:

You can be as pissed off as you want (completely warranted as you said), but personally attacking the developer of the app doesn't help the situation at all. It just makes you look like a total cunt.

To attack and insult people who express criticism, however, presents you in a much worse light. for such a discussion you are in the wrong place.?

13 hours ago, Garry_man said:

Friends, you are not tired of this circus tent? This is not even funny.

Actually no not at all, because I know I have no choice I am using Android since 2011 then in 2012 I got a job I made a bank account purchased galaxy S3 & the first thing I purchased from play store is Poweramp.

Right now I have all the premium music players except neutron, onkyo, radsone they are craps

And the most expensive one I have now is jet audio plus with all audio plugin which cost me around 1030 Indian rupees & trust me dude I have tried each and every sound mods ever created on Android platform except those HTC & Xperia exclusives

For me if I want the best possible sound solution for my phone I have no freaking other choice than Poweramp

Sound mods also gives amazing audio performance but in 2018 I'm not in mood for these bull shit I need a bug/hassle free peaceful life

If you really want some thing else you are free to do so get something else or create something by your self don't cry here 

This is the place for bug reports not for crying

And you are so lucky that this is Poweramp forum not XDA otherwise everybody knows what happens to cry baby's there

On 8/7/2018 at 4:05 AM, Tristan Young said:

To Max,

Well said man but one thing i can not agree with you on, communication. Am sure thats why most are mad in this forum , if Max himself could at least update us here, it would be better.

5 hours ago, DariusTheBrain said:

To attack and insult people who express criticism, however, presents you in a much worse light. for such a discussion you are in the wrong place.?

They didn't express any kind of constructive criticism, they just attacked Max. There's a difference between criticism and just saying Max's 'word is worthless'.

22 hours ago, Garry_man said:

In the real world, no one is developing. If the project is closed, then you need to honestly declare it and do not sell the program for money in the market. If the development continues, then we need information and full testing, and not endless promises.

1) Max is developing.

2) Project is not closed.

3) v3 beta is not the monetised product. v2 is, and is feature-complete (It has what its descriptions claim).

4) Builds 709 and 790 are information. On your phone. You're probably using one of them right now. Not only seeing is believing, but USING is believing. Go back to v2 first, then come and continue pushing these vacuous claims.

19 minutes ago, Garry_man said:

You write nonsense. Version 2 is hopelessly outdated, it's not even yesterday, but the day before yesterday. Moreover, Max was offered to make a paid version of 3, but he refused. Well, about the promises .... so there were a lot of them and none was fulfilled. In general, the development of the player goes through all reasonable limits. It is covered in the darkness of night and secrecy. There is no information, there are no beta tests, which leads to certain thoughts, clearly not in favor of Max. Yes, and why instead of him writes what a clеver man, I do not understand. I tend to think that this is the same person.

yes this is same person...i think so

All we need is only an update.I always move away from the app only due to the fact that it is not updated more times like other apps.No music player satisfies me as they have some limits but it is still good among them.

those people who are saying that we purchase only v2 let me say something, no app is sold by version.In fact when we purchase any app , the developer gives all the updates for free.Some apps charge after giving a major update but for the version which seems to work on old devices only. 

42 minutes ago, dipanjan maity said:

yes this is same person...i think so

Max doesn't have time ... Or by some cancerous people the interest .. to reply in the forum.. but he is free for a secondary clever_man acc .. theory doesn't match up??

What the hell is wrong with some people in this forum?

Like for many others, Poweramp is the only player I'm enjoying for years and I'm thankful for having access to such a powerful, versatile application.

I saw in this post, that the developer announced a free update with a feature and UI overhaul and was of course hyped, especially since v2 has this annoying notification bug in Android Oreo. Someone at least made a workaround for it and tbh, that's the only thing I care for when it comes to supporting an old application: compatibility fixes.

Nobody of us is entitled to receive free lifetime upgrades for a 6$ app you bought once in an app store, in what kind of world do you live? The developer is not making any money from microstransactions or ads, so how exactly does he profit from you as a user who bought this app years ago? He most likely has a full time job, family and other hobbies, and have you ever considered the amount of work he put into this app? It's not like you write such a stable, feature-rich app by yourself in one week. Basically any developer, who sells a program you can purchase on PC, will charge you again for a new version or make you pay annually for ongoing support. I'm pretty sure there's none of you wanting to do work for free.

Nobody here has been promised anything. The developer showed his progress on a free, I repeat, A FREE upgrade, then collected some feedback and went back to work on it, ironing out the bugs and adding additional features like the built-in skins, that change the UI back to clickable buttons and a different music progress bar. What else can you ask for? If you need people who talk to you on a regular base, this might be wrong place to look for.

The app will be done when it's done and getting personal is not the way to go. Be thankful for what you have and what you're about to get, because this is just sad. If you have so much time in your life to regularly spam this forum with senseless complaints, you might as well want to rethink your life instead during said free time. I'm sure the developer knows exactly why he doesn't visit this forum more often.

16 minutes ago, sieben43 said:

Like for many others, Poweramp is the only player I'm enjoying for years and I'm thankful for having access to such a powerful, versatile application.

I saw in this post, that the developer announced a free update with a feature and UI overhaul and was of course hyped, especially since v2 has this annoying notification bug in Android Oreo. Someone at least made a workaround for it and tbh, that's the only thing I care for when it comes to supporting an old application: compatibility fixes.

Nobody of us is entitled to receive free lifetime upgrades for a 6$ app you bought once in an app store, in what kind of world do you live? The developer is not making any money from microstransactions or ads, so how exactly does he profit from you as a user who bought this app years ago? He most likely has a full time job, family and other hobbies, and have you ever considered the amount of work he put into this app? It's not like you write such a stable, feature-rich app by yourself in one week. Basically any developer, who sells a program you can purchase on PC, will charge you again for a new version or make you pay annually for ongoing support. I'm pretty sure there's none of you wanting to do work for free.

Nobody here has been promised anything. The developer showed his progress on a free, I repeat, A FREE upgrade, then collected some feedback and went back to work on it, ironing out the bugs and adding additional features like the built-in skins, that change the UI back to clickable buttons and a different music progress bar. What else can you ask for? If you need people who talk to you on a regular base, this might be wrong place to look for.

The app will be done when it's done and getting personal is not the way to go. Be thankful for what you have and what you're about to get, because this is just sad. If you have so much time in your life to regularly spam this forum with senseless complaints, you might as well want to rethink your life instead during said free time. I'm sure the developer knows exactly why he doesn't visit this forum more often.

Absolutely true! 

20 minutes ago, sieben43 said:

He refused to take money

Archived