Poweramp v3 beta-preview-build-790 - Not yet feature-complete, read first post before commenting

maxmp

I'll preface this by saying I am a long term Poweramp user since Android 2.x.x days, not a troll or hater.

Aside from any personal taste opinions on the new UI, I've had a lot of useability and reliabilty  issues with 790 alpha. 

It also only uses the normal SD820 SoC hi res, not the extra AKM DAC in my Axon 7 so doesn't offer any benefit for me.

Jet Audio HD and Player Pro still sound better. Jet has some bugs that ultimately stop it being my daily driver despite the fantastic sound but Player Pro runs great and reliable like the old Poweramp public version so I've had to stop using Poweramp alpha  and stick with Player Pro for daily use as default player.

Will keep checking in here on progress but it seems the new PA has taken so long to arrive that it's kind of missed the boat and fanboys will argue for it despite the problems.

Look at it objectively, not fanatically.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 13.5.2018 at 1:48 AM, twinextralong said:

I love it and am excited for more updates. Can I make a couple of requests/suggestions?

1. A way to quickly jump to another list/album without being on the first or last track, like we had before (a two- fingered swipe?).

2. A way to see which track out of how many on the player screen again (it's still in the notifications of course, but it was nice for me, as I almost always listen to full albums).

Thanks!

No. 1 is a very good idea. I'd appreciate that because it is logical and intuitive and doesn't need any additional button.

1 hour ago, luce said:

I'd appreciate that because it is logical and intuitive and doesn't need any additional button.

An invisible, obscurely two-fingered swipe in some random direction is a more logical and intuitive way to change to the next album instead of - say - a button with a "next" arrow on it? ;)

Andre

1 hour ago, Stevieex23 said:

Does anyone know if V3 is still scheduled for end of May/Beginning of June release date?

Given the diversion into builds 705 and 706 for further high-res testing, I rather doubt it, but you never know. I would hope there would be a slightly more feature-complete beta release within that time-frame though.

Andre

4 hours ago, andrewilley said:

Given the diversion into builds 705 and 706 for further high-res testing, I rather doubt it, but you never know. I would hope there would be a slightly more feature-complete beta release within that time-frame though.

Andre

Okay I've been looking forward to the feature full beta release! Thanks for responding

While acknowledging this is a not-ready-for-prime-time release, and absolutely not complaining, (as I can easily go back to older versions), I do have a few opinions after using 790 for a few days.

First, the sound is great, that's why I sticking with it for now. However, there are a few aesthetic and usability observations. On the home screen, I'm definitely not a fan of the track info on black bars across the album art display. I kind of makes it look like something added after it was forgotten earlier, or it was a quick prototype that didn't get adjusted in time for the release, and it partially covers hi-res art downloaded. It just doesn't look like it naturally belongs there.

Also, the  graphical seekbar is a nice idea, but maybe it could be reduced a bit, make it narrower and put the track info above it? The pause button is too small, compared to the play button, seems really strange, and when I'm busy with my attention elsewhere, finding it quickly is inconvenient. I like using gestures, but in certain situations they're not as convenient as buttons for navigating.

As for the library, as I posted above, at least the Artists, I'm able to easily work around the lack of button access by using the search function. Ok for now, but wouldn't want it to be permanent, which I know was mentioned will be fixed. I don't know if this works for playlists, as I don't have any now, maybe someone could test this, as well as other library buttons not working.

Widget: When PA is turned off, none of the buttons on the widget work (no matter which style) until I start PA from the app icon. Then, play, pause back & forward buttons work, but clicking on the widget won't open PA. This is a rather large inconvenience. Not mentioned in the release, but still needs fixing.

So that's it for now, until I explore more.

On 30/04/2018 at 6:02 AM, Silversmith said:

Unfortunately, there seems be no sound on my V30 regardless of any alterations I make to the settings, I will keep looking for a solution and see if I can fix it. It looks like I will just have to wait a bit longer until the beta gets closer to completion. Thank you Max for all of your hard work you put into this app, I know it must not be easy working on this all by yourself and with everyone putting pressure on you to release the update as soon as possible.

Don't understand why your V30 not working as works flawlessly with my LG G6 with quad dac, unless its Oreo related as I am on Nougat 7.0

8 hours ago, Stolbtzoff said:

Poweramp 790 came out on April 30, and when to wait for the next build?

7 hours ago, Meteorman said:

When comes new Beta?

Oh, didn't you know that it's already out for most users... it's just being kept a secret from you.

.... :):)

Seriously folks, enough with the ETA requests! There have been two test releases this week alone (705 and 706) and now Max is going back to making the 790 fork more feature-complete. When he's ready to release something, it will be announced in these forums first. 

Andre

LG V20 user reporting in here, love the new redesign!  I'm really geeking out over the menu transitions.  And the Hi-Res output works amazing, definitely a noticeable bump in audio quality.  I'm all too excited to move leave USB Audio Player Pro behind thanks to the internal DAC implementation. 

The only issue I'm seeing so far is in the Folder view: nothing happens when selecting the "list options".  I'm all about viewing my folders in Hierarchical view, so this is really the only thing I'm really waiting for to be fixed.  

Also, when Hi-Res output is enabled, there's no volume indicator popping up anywhere.  Granted, it says "Volume icon may look like Remote Media" when enabling, just thought I'd point it out.

Thanks for the work Max!  Poweramp user since 2011.

2 hours ago, andrewilley said:

Oh, didn't you know that it's already out for most users... it's just being kept a secret from you.

Seriously folks, enough with the ETA requests! There have been two test releases this week alone (705 and 706) and now Max is going back to making the 790 fork more feature-complete. When he's ready to release something, it will be announced in these forums first. 

Andre

Where is the 706 download? Thanks!

I'm with the OP, It gets rediculous jumping one version to the other instead of working with thier device to get things to work on your devices. Sooner or later, you will do the right combo of versions to get it to work. I have 790 working on note 8 with OREO. At first other versions crashed, but there's a delay after reboot for the app to work. I've been there, done that. Max's development and apps are great, even if 790 isn't finalized. 

dumpsys media.audio_flinger still pcm16 4800khz on Redmi note 3 oreo + Poweramp build 790. 

Hi-res option doesn't work as it should yet.

Rolling back to marshmallow + PA build 704
EDITED: here's a screenshot from mm rom + PA build 704 with 192khz 24 bit working as it should for wired headphone.

Screenshot_2018-05-17-23-27-37-411_jackpal.androidterm.png

16 minutes ago, adhiNick said:

dumpsys media.audio_flinger still pcm16 4800khz on Redmi note 3 oreo + Poweramp build 790. 

Hi-res option doesn't work as it should yet.

Rolling back to marshmallow + PA build 704

Screenshot_2018-05-17-23-27-37-411_jackpal.androidterm.png

Are you sure that audio output is 16/48?

IMG_20180517_204231.jpg

Archived