Poweramp v3 beta-preview-build-790 - Not yet feature-complete, read first post before commenting

maxmp

28 minutes ago, 350519263 said:

Hi Max, is it possible to get back the original control UI? I think many people might prefer buttons instead of swiping to change songs, currently it is slightly hard to do so with one hand.

Looking at the interface i dont think it is possible due to the wavebar... I cant figure why people have so much hatred or ambiguity towards gestures... I mean that not the the way fluid and modern ui works..

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, quirK said:

You're on to something. The clicks are more frequent with it enabled. Still not click free with it disabled. 

I'm open to the possibility of it being a bug with Android's OpenSL HD. However, on a previous version of Poweramp and Android, the problem was entirely resolved by raising playback thread priority. 

That solved the clipping on my OnePlus 5. Another try is to increase buffer size. That helped a little before I disabled Float32. I don't know how to raise thread priority on Android.

58 minutes ago, Ameya28 said:

Looking at the interface i dont think it is possible due to the wavebar... I cant figure why people have so much hatred or ambiguity towards gestures... I mean that not the the way fluid and modern ui works..

Totally agree about gestures. Modern phone UI is built around gestures. And I'm someone who hung onto the DOS command line and Nokia's Symbian to the end. Gestures are intuitive (once learned it is obvious), quicker (many can be done without looking at screen) and more accurate (no need to find and press a particular button). Poweramp should use logical gestures for the most common user input.

3 hours ago, Sylvo said:

For those who don't know is hi res or hd  working or not ?

would not count on that too much......as stated in post number 2 in this thread

NOTE: no device detection implemented yet for the new OpenSL HD Output, it will happily report it plays hi-res, even if device doesn't actually support Hi-Res Audio

So i would not be so sure that it will always show there the correct things at the moment.......and so may not really be helpful to check if it works or not 

9 minutes ago, djdarko said:

Is there a gesture (up/down swipe) to change the album like before? That was one thing I really liked about Poweramp over other players.

Unfortunately no?

17 minutes ago, djdarko said:

Is there a gesture (up/down swipe) to change the album like before? That was one thing I really liked about Poweramp over other players.

Only swipe gestures left and right, changes to the previous and next album.

1 hour ago, Ben Anderson said:

Totally agree about gestures. Modern phone UI is built around gestures. And I'm someone who hung onto the DOS command line and Nokia's Symbian to the end. Gestures are intuitive (once learned it is obvious), quicker (many can be done without looking at screen) and more accurate (no need to find and press a particular button). Poweramp should use logical gestures for the most common user input.

They're a PIA, because it's far too easy to inadvertently change tracks, and with the unnecessarily large wavebar (unnecessary, period), they're a PIA to use one-handedly, and even if they weren't, when using a phone with one hand, swiping is more precarious and increases the chances of dropping the phone. They're also not quicker, because they require more of a motion than simply tapping a button

There's no reason why both gestures and buttons couldn't be included, and make either of them optional. Don't like buttons? Disable them. Don't like gestures? Disablethem. Want both? Enable both. Get rid of the wavebar and replace it with a progress bar - or at the very least pare down the wave bar by a good 75% - and there'd be plenty of room for buttons, as well as bigger text for album, artist, title, next up, technical data, etc.

The UI on this is an ugly, insipid mess, but that's what comes when using Material Design, which is, by its very nature, garbage.

Won't open at all on my Note8, Android 8.0.

Downloaded, installed, and changed the settings to Dark theme. Went to play my music and it crashed, and now it won't open at all. "Poweramp has stopped."

Never mind. Redownloaded and reinstalled. Works now, for some odd reason. Had to rebuild all my settings, though.
Also, can't seem to tap on Artists.

It's really awesome! The best UI design I have seen ever on android. The High-Res support is back and works well with my Redmi 5 Plus on Android 7.1 (MIUI) now, while the 704 preview alert a fatal error on loading Highres. I'm really excepting for the complete v3 release.

Still find some small bugs.

On my Android 7.1 MIUI9 the notification bar is completely broken, only the track counter is displayed. It is probably caused by the MIUI custom so later I will check it on another phone with AOSP system on Android 7.1 .

Screenshot_2018-05-04-00-16-43-003_org.mozilla.firefox.thumb.png.b80311b085bd07c4a2c4cad944d6de86.png

The new navigation bar sometimes seems to have missed the last few seconds of the song, and the displayed total length is also incorrect. Probably it is designed to behave like this, or a small bug.

IMG_20180504_001823.thumb.jpg.73ec123cf0d9bb9a6740fbfb8a39cfc9.jpg

I sincerely can't wait to get the artists list back. I listen to a few different non-English artists in my library and the only way I can hear their music is to go to folders and scroll until I find the right album based on year (I sort albums with (2012) before the album name, as an example). The Albums list itself is all jumbled up anyway and list options don't work so I can't change sorting... I have a *lot* of albums in my library.

And, barring all that, how does a music player come out after two years in dev without an artists list? Poweramp has been a favorite for years but this just boggles my mind. Here's hoping.

The gestures are made to easier use the controls on your phone without having to specifically reach to a specific place since you can use the gestures anywhere, especially with bigger phones gestures should make things easier, I don't know how swiping left and right is hard to do with one hand, but everyone has their preference I suppose, looking forward to the next update with full features hoping May deadline is correct!

1 hour ago, Death-Dealer said:

What about swiping from the left and right of the edge of the screen for visualizations, settings, and search like in 704.   Seriously no need for ugly clutter on the play screen.

Personally I'm glad those are gone, I hate apps where a swipe from the edge of the screen does one thing while a swipe a bit nearer the middle does something else. Far too easy to mis-swipe.

Thinking about it, I kinda question the need for a hamburger (app-wide) menu icon at all. In this case it only contains three options: "Settings" (which could easily be added onto the bottom of the context-based "overflow" menus), "About Poweramp" and "Get Support" (and those last two are both within the first page of the "Settings" screen anyway, so are completely redundant as extra options). Personally, I really don't much care what the great 'Google Material Design god' says, it just seems redundant to my little brain - but then I change their silly physical 'Recent Apps' key back to a proper 'Menu' key on all my rooted devices anyway, as nature intended. :)

Andre

For me a Black Player EX with the sound machine from PA would be a dream.

I don't really like the play screen not to say it's ugly for me. But because of sound quality I have to stay with PA ?

I also have to say that it is really ridiculous to have a music player without artist listing. That's the most basic feature of a player. I know it's very alpha but anyway.

Exactly, all that needed to be done is 704+ hi res+ bug fixes.  Wavebar.....terrible

Text over album art.....terrible

Bar on the bottom for settings etc....terrible

Anything white and not transparent on play screen like previous build.......terrible

Too many fanboys kissing max's ass for this.......terrible

Wow! Had no clue that liking the new design was an automatic ass kissing....

11 hours ago, Random.Potato said:

Been using 790 for 4 days, the Hi-Res output is awesome with my Asus Zenfone 3 ZE520KL. This phone can do 24/44.1, 24/48, 24/96 and 24 bit/192 kHz output.

To Max, can you make Poweramp Hi-Res output to automatically switch to the sample rate of the audio file that being played? So i dont have to manually switch the sampe rate to match my audio sample rate (44.1, 48 and 192 kHz).

Thank you! ?

The Resampler will convert different sample rate to the same for DAC output. It's very clever to operate the audio file with resampling.

But it may not be perfect, because it's better to switch the final sample rate to match an integral multiple of the original.

87c01ec7gy1fqypcq6sicj21402ynaqc.jpg

2 hours ago, Devin said:

They're a PIA, because it's far too easy to inadvertently change tracks, and with the unnecessarily large wavebar (unnecessary, period), they're a PIA to use one-handedly, and even if they weren't, when using a phone with one hand, swiping is more precarious and increases the chances of dropping the phone. They're also not quicker, because they require more of a motion than simply tapping a button

There's no reason why both gestures and buttons couldn't be included, and make either of them optional. Don't like buttons? Disable them. Don't like gestures? Disablethem. Want both? Enable both. Get rid of the wavebar and replace it with a progress bar - or at the very least pare down the wave bar by a good 75% - and there'd be plenty of room for buttons, as well as bigger text for album, artist, title, next up, technical data, etc.

The UI on this is an ugly, insipid mess, but that's what comes when using Material Design, which is, by its very nature, garbage.

Well they are a PIA if you have butter fingers of course! Plus the wavebar is something exclusive to Poweramp right now and is not implemented other than SoundCloud quite fine in working. What you are suggesting will degrade the ui forget making it better . I get that people would love to have both the options but it isn't easy to implement.

Exactly, all that needed to be done is 704+ hi res+ bug fixes.  Wavebar.....terrible

Text over album art.....terrible

Bar on the bottom for settings etc....terrible

Anything white and not transparent on play screen like previous build.......terrible

Too many fanboys kissing max's ass for this.......terrible

And this is coming from someone who has been using Poweramp since it's android release.

If everything white on play screen goes away, the wavebar goes away or dramatically shrinks down and some transparency comes back I'll def change my thoughts.  The new ui is like 3 steps forward, 2 steps back.  What about swiping from the left and right of the edge of the screen for visualizations, settings, and search like in 704.   Seriously no need for ugly clutter on the play screen.

Well your wishes aren't gonna come true it seems.. personal preference is fine but there are other people who are fine some happy about the the new ui... In Short , your complaints .... Terrible ☺️

4 hours ago, Wolfpig said:

would not count on that too much......as stated in post number 2 in this thread

So i would not be so sure that it will always show there the correct things at the moment.......and so may not really be helpful to check if it works or not 

Oops I messed up ? 

BTW once it's implemented properly it can be used though 

Although the @Wolfpig for correcting me

7 hours ago, Sylvo said:

For those who don't know is hi res or hd  working or not ?

NOTE: no device detection implemented yet for the new OpenSL HD Output, it will happily report it plays hi-res, even if device doesn't actually support Hi-Res Audio

Once implied correctly u can view this if it works or not ?

Screenshot_20180503-160224.thumb.png.5811b87bd60c2956fdcb5f64d2f847ce.pngsketch1525343867819.thumb.png.c9f3a26f6d64cab440c1e6dd3ac18c32.png

I messed up sorry ?

I have my Poweramp v2(stable version) last.Poweramp-settings export file, when I import that file to this beta v3 beta build 790 lock screen music stops, player shuts off and doesn't play in lock screen mode. This happening on importing v2 export setting file in v3 beta build 790 version. I have my EQ setting in that export file configured, now I can't play that in beta build v790 lock screen, please resolve this.

12 hours ago, Bass said:

In this beta preview version, It seems there was no inbuilt option for changing the equalizer settings like Bass & Treble, Bass, Bass Extreme, Treble etc...like existing stable version currently available in play store..If anybody can able to figure out that option in this preview version, please let me know..

IMG_20180503_143834.jpg

I recommend that u give this Equalizer Setting a try ?

I use this for good BASS & CLARITY.

Archived