Poweramp v3 beta-preview-build-790 - Not yet feature-complete, read first post before commenting

maxmp

It's now easy to understand why it took so long to provide this update to Poweramp, all those animations and logic behind it must have been difficult to make and debug.
Nice ones BTW.

Now regarding audio, @jds65 was the only one who actually bothered to see if his device (android audio mixer) was actually rendering audio in high resolution which may not always be the case.

Like @maxmp said "NOTE: no device detection implemented yet for the new OpenSL HD Output, it will happily report it plays hi-res, even if device doesn't actually support Hi-Res Audio".

It's easy to check (with root) the format of the output, either with a logcat app (search for bitwidth) or with terminal commands:
su
dumpsys media.audio_flinger

And like @spacebar2011 said, direct audio output bypassing the android audio mixer is a must for anyone who wants maximum quality audio. 

Can' really test HD audio since my device does not support it and for some reason audio routing is not working in Oreo with my usb dac in my device.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, fmc000 said:

I cannot confirm any of these issues. Everything works fine on my Smasung A3 2017 with latest original ROM and HighRes output.

EDIT: WRT point 4: I managed to crash the app pressing the "Back" capacity button whilst in the Queue page.

It's happening sometimes. After a Force closing the app.. i am not having the Issue

34 minutes ago, Filip777 said:

It's working great on my HTC 10 (Oreo 8.0 android), there's no audio delay (massive latency) like before when using Hi-Res (OpenSL ES HD output), also no clipping when pausing/resuming a song or elsewhere (Float32 Sample Format enabled). No crashes so far.

- I assume that Hi-Res is working (not just showing that it works) on the HTC 10 judging by the screenshot below, since it has a dedicated audio DAC, but hell what do I know.

To get this "Audio info" below, you need to hold down that little info bubble above the Poweramp navigation bar in the Player section.

Using wired headset (headphones), also HTC BoomSound with Dolby audio works with Hi-Res output for the first time.

Screenshot_20180430-143957.png

Thanks a lot for sharing this tip! I am with HTC 10 too and I was wondering how to get the audio information show up.

Do you get a lower volume level or severe clipping when Float32 is enabled?

9 hours ago, Bobeca said:

It doesn't start on Samsung S7 with the latest stock ROM. I get a massage 'Poweranp has stopped working' right after the main screen shows.

PS. This is after I have upgraded from the alpha version.

Clear the App Data of Poweramp in Phone Settings. It started properly for me after that. ?

39 minutes ago, Bluehacks said:

@maxmp  im using  Redmi note 4x stock miui 9 android 7.0

When I activate the hi res output...at higher volume sound gets cranky when on higher bass..is this a bug? Or anyone facing it?

Can anyone share the ideal setting or help me out with this issue?

Cc @andrewilley

Which headphones are you using I also have Redmi Note 4 Snapdragon version running stock miui 9.5 I don't have any issue you mentioned above. I'm using Sony MDR xb 920 for testing right now I can go up to 80% volume no distortion @ all

Also tested my twinwoffers, creative EP 630, Flipkart basic in ear headphones they are not distorting

8 minutes ago, mahalata said:

Thanks a lot for sharing this tip! I am with HTC 10 too and I was wondering how to get the audio information show up.

Do you get a lower volume level or severe clipping when Float32 is enabled?

As I said, no clipping whatsoever, but I need to test more. So DVC, float32, SOX resampler are all enabled for me (equalizer off). 

Also I must say I really like the design of the app, great work Max, animations are smooth af. Only I'd like that the song progress bar in the Player section was more "detailed", just like in the SoundCloud app

7 hours ago, Varshith Puli said:

Why can't I find hi-res output(experimental) on my OnePlus 3 ????

Screenshot_20180430-122951.jpg

Because you are on Android Oreo just like me, and there's no Hi-Res (Exp) Output

"• updated Hi-Res (Exp) Output for Android 7.0 (but it doesn't work for Android 8)"

You need to use OpenSL ES HD output. And then Hi-Res will work (if it's supported by your phone that is).

Thanks Max, it works perfectly on my Galaxy On7 SM-G600FY Android 7.1.1 ? I still do not understand how to use hi-res because of the output, but the OpenSL ES HD works perfectly, I previously made a comment that the SoundAlive "MusicFX Samsung" did not work on v2 or alpha, but now works perfectly. 

10 hours ago, maxmp said:

NOTE: this Beta Preview is a preview-quality software, not ready for day-to-day usage, nor it's close in quality to the previous Alpha release

Some functionality is not ready yet, missing, or incomplete: most library categories, list/track/preset operations like deletion, adding to playlists, no landscape nor tablet layouts, no custom lockscreen, etc.

Expect crashes and other strange things:) All the debug/checking code is still there.

Please make sure you backed up your previous installation, as it's not easily possible to revert to previous versions due to database format change.

Poweramp-beta-preview-build-790-uni.apk

Thanks Max... Work perfectly on my HTC 10 with the high-res output.. Congrats for the hard work ??.. The new UI's dope ?

10 hours ago, maxmp said:

Regarding release schedule - May is set as month for a feature-complete Beta release (with the all missing parts finished), and the end of May/beginning of June'18 is the final v3 release planned period. It depends on bugs and specific device issues.

Great, so is there going to be another community poll for v4 features?

Of course this is assuming you are continuing Poweramp development.

28 minutes ago, Prosenjit said:

Which headphones are you using I also have Redmi Note 4 Snapdragon version running stock miui 9.5 I don't have any issue you mentioned above. I'm using Sony MDR xb 920 for testing right now I can go up to 80% volume no distortion @ all

Also tested my twinwoffers, creative EP 630, Flipkart basic in ear headphones they are not distorting

Hi I m using JBL c300si ..right or left speaker sometime  gets distorted sound on high bass

Can u share it settings mate?

LG G5. Android 7.0  Snapdragon 820

Strangely working  Hi-Res (Exp) Output for Android 7.0 I reboot the device - with Hy-Res (Exp) works through the headphones. a couple of manipulations such as re-distort the headphones or close / open the player and that's it. Hi-Res (Exp) does not work. there is a sound instead of headphones-in the speaker. turning off the Hi-Res (Exp) does not help until I reboot the phone again. if I turn on the other pins-all work except Hi-Res (Exp)

2 hours ago, manjot97 said:

Ok so on the lockscreen of my S8. If you skip tracks that are in the same album/folder, the name doesn't change at all and even my last fm fails to recognise the track change.slFuAWF.jpg

Weird question but are you manjot in weeknd discord server, if not sorry. 

...awesome job! :D Though I wonder if it would be possible to make the seeker small and move the track and album title below the cover art (and maybe add an artist line? Love the animations, icons and overall functionality

Screenshot_20180430-110350.jpg

Archived