longer seek bar (at least in landscape mode)

The ability to seek through a song quite useful when there are parts you like/don't like, but especially for things like audio books, recorded lectures, etc. The seek bar's accuracy as of now is not very good, mostly because it's so short and fixed to one length. The longer the audio track, the harder it is to seek to a desired location accurately. It would be helpful if there were an option to extend the seek bar's length, at least in landscape mode.

But what would REALLY be cool, is if the seek bar could do the following:

-zoomable, that is, the ability to use multitouch to zoom in or pinch to zoom out

-scrollable, after zooming in, the ability to swipe it back or forth

-able to select a discrete time index. Maybe double-tap and hold the seek bar to show a toast of the time index that's being touched, then sliding your finger back or forward will move through the seek bar as the toast updates the time index. When you let go, playback is moved to that time index. If the seek bar happens to be zoomed-in, then sliding your finger back or forward will auto-scroll the seek bar. The speed at which it auto-scrolls would be determined by how far left or right your finger is.

-able to save bookmarks within individual tracks. Unlimited start/stop marks. For example: Say my song is 4 minutes long, and I want to always skip the 3rd minute. I would set a Start-marker at 0:00:00, a stop-marker at 0:02:00, and another start-marker at 0:03:00. Anything from a start-marker to a stop-marker (or EOF) would play, anything from a stop-marker to a start-marker (or EOF) would be skipped. You could put as many start/stops in a track as you want. Also, the option to transition from a stop to the next start with a subtle "gradient effect" would make it sound more natural, instead of an abrupt change in audio.

-the option to have a vertical seek bar. That way the seek bar could be as long as possible when in portrait mode.

I know that's a tall order. But holy cow that would be SOOOOOOO COOL!!

Thanks for the detailed request.

PowerAMP will have support for custom/downloadable skins very soon and I'm planning to add few skins with a bit modified layout with full-width seekbar. Btw, the wider seekbar is available in Playlists in landscape mode.

As for other options, some of them are possible, like going to discrete time index, the problem here is easy to use UI without additional buttons.

ah thanks for letting us know about the longer seek bar in play lists in landscape mode.

one thing I thought about is if you press and hold on seek bar, have it open up a second seek bar above it that is zoomed in that gives you finer control. kind of like a pop-up. that was the first action I tried to elicit since it seems logical.

Thanks for posting this in such a detailed manner. I love this app but when listening to podcasts, I sometimes find myself wanting to rewind by a minute or less b/c I missed something and the seek bar in it's current iteration does not facilitate this very well, the sliding after a long press not granular enough to be able to seek in < 1 minute increments. Alternatively, tapping on the seek bar is a crap shoot as to where the current playing position will end up at.

I look forward to these enhancements!

Archived