auto save of file based playlists on SD card (Android 7)

I recently changed from Android 5 to Android 7

all my music and file based playlists are stored on the external SD card. Poweramp has been granted full access through the grant access dialogue and I successfully tested this with deleting a mp3 file from the SD card out of the app.

I was used to sometime add/remove tracks on the playlists directly in Poweramp on the old Android device and it got saved when I exited the list ("/ext-sdcard/playlists/example.m3u8 has been saved")

But now on the Android 7 this doesn't happen anymore ... any idea why? As I said, deleting a file from the external SD out of Poweramp works fine, so the write access shouldn't be the problem

PS: same behaviour with v3 beta

Poweramp has never been able to alter the contents of playlist files. It alters its own internal copy, but if you re-load again from the file later it will revert to the original un-modified copy. You can export internal playlists to files though, but that's not what you were asking.

Andre

you're right ....it was never a full editor or something like that, but it worked for added files

go to mp3 library and select files to add to a playlist

add to existing file-based playlist

open that file-based playlist from the playlists and then on leaving you'll get the message "Playlist saved /storage/emulated/0/Playlists/example.m3u8"

hit the rescan button and you'll get the modified playlist loaded

open the m3u8 file with a text editor and you will find the added entries at the end

it did never work in the same way when files were removed from the playlist in v2 (I think in v3 it did)

anyway: I moved my Playlists folder to internal storage to test and then it works like described above ... so it seems the write access for SD cards is available/enabled/implemented for file access on deleting or writing MP3 tags, but not for the playlist add function

28 minutes ago, PBN said:

I moved my Playlists folder to internal storage to test and then it works like described above ... so it seems the write access for SD cards is available/enabled/implemented for file access on deleting or writing MP3 tags, but not for the playlist add function

Yes, as I said, playlists are not written back to physical storage when they are modified, only the local internal database copy is updated.

If your playlist was created internally in the first place, reinstalling Poweramp (on a new device for example) will completely wipe it, along with any other local app data. To save internal playlists, you can export them to .M3U8 files from the Settings page (and backup other settings too), or forum user TheoKlink has written an app called New Playlist Manager (available from the Play Store) which does that and a whole lot more. 

If the playlist was file-based in the first place, reloading it will revert to the .M3U[8] file on physical storage and any internal-memory changes will be lost.

Andre

Archived