Using queue resets playlist progress

Tweek

I love to use playlists for music playback, but sometimes you just want to hear a few songs in between. That is where the queue function should come in, after selecting a few songs for the queue the player nicely switches over to the selected queue. When the queue finished playing however the progress in the playlist is reset and the playlist starts from number 1 again repeating songs you already heard.

The queue function in Spotify for example saves the progress in your current playlist which is how I feel it should be.

Not sure if this should be under bugs or feature requests but it may be intended behavior so I put it here. I included some screenshots that show the process.

Screenshot_20170617-095630.png Screenshot_20170617-095643.pngScreenshot_20170617-095709.png

None of your images show playlist mode, you are in All Songs mode. You have also got Shuffle enabled which will muddle up the order too. You don't mention which version of PA you are using, but I'm guessing the v2 release build so I'll move this to the relevant forum.

I've checked in Playlist > then two Queued songs > auto-exit back to playlist, and it plays the next song that I would expect from the list as expected. (using PA alpha build 704)

Andre

This behavior happens in both V2 and V3 which I am using now.

I didn't realize there was a different mode for All Songs and Playlists, it looks like the player just creates a (temporary) playlist where it puts all songs. So if I create a playlist where I add all songs instead of using the "shuffle all" feature it should just continue where I left off? Thanks for the tip, I will try that today and report back.

I tested it last night but it still reset the progress of my playlist.

The steps I took for testing:

• Create a new playlist "all"
  • Add all songs in the library to the playlist
  • Start the playlist by clicking a random song
  • (shuffle is still on because I don't want to listen albums in order. I tried both the "Shuffle all available songs" and "Shuffle songs, Lists in order")
  • Fast forwarded a few songs so there is progress in the playlist
  • Queued a song and waited for it to play
  • After finishing the queued song the same happened as in the screenshots above, it resumed to play my playlist at 2/2284

Not sure if you need new screenshots showing the same, but if you do I made them.

If Shuffle is on, each new track will be random, so why are you worried if it returns to a 'different' random track when that's what you are actually asking it to do?

Please test with Shuffle mode turned off and see if it then returns to the correct place within the original ordered list.

Andre

5 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

If Shuffle is on, each new track will be random, so why are you worried if it returns to a 'different' random track when that's what you are actually asking it to do?

Please test with Shuffle mode turned off and see if it then returns to the correct place within the original ordered list.

Andre

Because I like to hear all my songs. If I am at song 500/2200 and queue a song, returning to the playlist means the 500 songs that already played are put back in rotation. It's a small thing perhaps with a large library but would have my preference if it can be saved somehow.

When I turn shuffle off the list continues from 703 -> queue 1 -> 704 as you said. However this way the playlist will always have exactly the same order and a lot of songs with wrong naming get played in order, say when the song title starts with the artist it plays everything from that artist in order.

Could you move this to the v3 forum? As I understand v2 is not going to be much of a priority anymore to the developer and I am using "alpha-build-703-play" according to Google Play. :)

Archived