Poweramp v3 Project Update (please read first post for latest info before commenting)

andrewilley

With oreo updates around the corner or whenever it could be smart to just release the new Poweramp after the oreo update. I'm very certain that if they released it, after installing oreo, the high res would incompatible or something. 

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, utahman1971 said:

He can't do support for Oreo if Oreo is not even released. So pointless to just release it when just everyone says just release it now, and leave those Oreo people left out in the dark until he actually works on it. No support for Oreo until Oreo is finally released to all. Unless, he actually is on a s8 or s8 +, then he can release sooner because Oreo beta, if he even has beta on his phone.

Of course he can, he's not some Apple user, he can take one of those newer Samsung devices he has and slap LOS 15.1 on them. A bunch of devices have Oreo LOS ROMs and a dev wouldn't be afraid of flashing LOS...

My father has a Moto G 2 and I've installed an unofficial LOS 15.1 on it, with MicroG. He gets 5 hours SOT over 2 days. my point is, it's not like custom ROMs are experimental stuff, and a dev could damn well use a custom ROM for testing an app. From the inhumane amount of phones that Max has, he surely has at least one with Oreo already. Have yoh ever seen the phones that he uses for testing?

P.S. I read about 45 pages in like half an hour, then came here every couple days to see what happens. I don't believe there's anything wrong with leaving this as-is, but if you really want to get it clean, I believe the best way would be opening a new thread where we could start from zero (with Max's posts quoted) and close this one

4 hours ago, Neosiris said:

Were you all really hopeful that there was going to be a release anytime soon xD?

There probably will be, so I'm checking every couple of days or so. It's not like I'll waste my time or whatever, it's just a 2 minute check.

If you feel like 2 minutes of your life every 2 or 3 days are too valuable, then yeah, go put up with Neutron... As long as Max is alive and the update is not out I'll keep checking this thread

I know Max's intention is to get the beta ready for release with all features and subsystems working (he won't release until it is basically a 'complete product' rather than half-baked for testing partial elements only). He has said this will include fixing the Oreo 8.1 notifications problem as he knows what Google did to break it, and has a suitable workaround.

Once that beta is actually released, his intention is then to try to make much more frequent and responsive releases for individual bug reports, OS changes, etc which will then be possible to be issued incrementally once that base product is available.

Andre

41 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

I know Max's intention is to get the beta ready for release with all features and subsystems working (he won't release until it is basically a 'complete product' rather than half-baked for testing partial elements only). He has said this will include fixing the Oreo 8.1 notifications problem as he knows what Google did to break it, and has a suitable workaround.

Once that beta is actually released, his intention is then to try to make much more frequent and responsive releases for individual bug reports, OS changes, etc which will then be possible to be issued incrementally once that base product is available.

Andre

When he said that? Do you recently asked him or something? He has not given us news since 3 or 4 months..

1 hour ago, kodein said:

But the question is when the beta release will be released

Yeah that's the real one... Although good to see that max is fixing the oreo bug in the beta itself otherwise it would have been unfair to the 8.0 users

Poweramp V3 arrives on time for the opening of Berlin Airport.

- Start of construction in 2006

- Completion 2011 (planned)

- Current Status: Not finished yet

- New date: completion 2020

The difference is only the Poweramp devouring billions of euros.

But the cycle of fixing a new bug that comes out instead of releasing it and try and fine more bugs, that doesn't mean max is releasing an "unfinished product" that's what betas we're intended for,that is one of the reasons he isn't releasing a full blown 3.0 update, but what has been happening is that google releases a new update and Max tries to add compatibility to that feature and not releasing the beta until he does, which ends up in an endless cycle of tweaking that will have the product never be released, even though Max has been working hard on this for the past years up until now, we are all really looking forward to the update, that doesn't make me entitled for expecting an update that has been in development for a while now, it is like a crowdfunding product, we technically did pay for Poweramp and all future updates so those people saying you only paid for the past version is absurd when plenty of other apps update their entire interfaces and don't resell it, but even if that were the case the argument becomes even more invalid because people who use Poweramp, including me, have offered to donate or pay for the new version by max apparently refused, there are no other solutions but hope we get it soon, hopefully not half the year in or more

this topic is kind of a big disappointment to me, every time I check it, I end up with a big bag of depression! what kind of update takes more than 2 years !!!

seriously! what's wrong with you people still arguing about oreo or nougat !! how many devices will actually have oreo !? the guy been updating the app since lollipop and everytime he delaying the release because there is a new Android update !! when is this gonna end ?! I think it's much easier to ask google stop supporting Android, so max can finally have the time to follow up with his v3 release of 10 years!

I have been checking this forum for more than 2 years, seriously you have no respect for your fans or your supporters!

for you people who are gonna say that he doesn't have to update it, and v2 is working fine, please keep your opinion to yourself and enjoy your legacy player in silence! 

sorry for my bad English still working on it, but I think I'm improving my English much faster than the v3 update, I guess i might learn a third language before I see the v3 release!

Hey man. Feel free to learn code and build it for us! :D Yes, I am a spaghetti coder, but I can tell you, coding and debugging take time. For certain projects, they can take a very long time... 

As of right now, my question for you is, "What from the new build do you need that the old hl build doesn't give?" sure, as I've discovered, maybe if you have wireless earbuds, then yes, maybe an update for support for AptX HD is cool, but other than that, what else? It's a music player that plays music.

I can guarantee that if the beta never came out, this thread never existed, we wouldn't have a bunch of people complaining about slow updates and what not. 

And yes, I can understand the frustration of expecting an update but it just keeps getting withheld, but again, what will be new in this new update that the old Poweramp doesn't already give. 

Yeah. While I don't want to complain if they really are hard at work, if their excuse is really "Well we can't ever get caught up as long as Google keeps releasing new versions of Android", then it's really hard to swallow because that's ALWAYS been how Google (and Apple, etc) have been handling things. So all of a sudden to say it's an issue................I have to say, I have a hard time believing that. Then the next logical question to ask is, why is it ALL these other music playing apps don't have this issue? 

I am grateful for having this new version of Poweramp with its cool new features, but give me a break already. 

32 minutes ago, dwang040 said:

Hey man. Feel free to learn code and build it for us! :D Yes, I am a spaghetti coder, but I can tell you, coding and debugging take time. For certain projects, they can take a very long time... 

As of right now, my question for you is, "What from the new build do you need that the old hl build doesn't give?" sure, as I've discovered, maybe if you have wireless earbuds, then yes, maybe an update for support for AptX HD is cool, but other than that, what else? It's a music player that plays music.

I can guarantee that if the beta never came out, this thread never existed, we wouldn't have a bunch of people complaining about slow updates and what not. 

And yes, I can understand the frustration of expecting an update but it just keeps getting withheld, but again, what will be new in this new update that the old Poweramp doesn't already give. 

on Oreo the headset does not work, the sound periodically drops off, well, no hi-res.

27 minutes ago, PeterFalk said:

on Oreo the headset does not work, the sound periodically drops off, well, no hi-res.

The oreo issues are to be expected as google can and probably does change certain ways android handles components.

The sound periodically dropping off, i can't say much since I haven't had that issue. Unless you're on Oreo, it could be an oreo issue. 

Hi res for wired is like saying you can hear a difference between Flac and mp3 at 320kbps. Unless you're using high end dacs and amp with a very detailed and high end speaker/ headphones, I doubt you'll get much out of this high res/ tell a difference. 

13 hours ago, TheJedeX said:

When he said that? Do you recently asked him or something? He has not given us news since 3 or 4 months..

I posted an update from him about a week ago. Nothing that could be considered an ETA though, sorry.

Andre

40 minutes ago, Seymur993 said:

I remember the times when it should have been released in April 2017..

And the last actual update was like in September 2016

Dayum am I gonna laugh when google announce the next android in about 5 months

I know.  I came across this thread and alpha version in May 2017 and have been checking the forum and this thread daily since then because the G6 can't play version 2 without skipping in most songs.  Between LG not releasing any decent updates since i got my LG G6 and Poweramp not having new updates I can't wait to trade my phone in in april for a Galaxy again and have a newer Android update and be able to play the last version of Poweramp without skipping so i can use skins again.

3 hours ago, Seymur993 said:

I remember the times when it should have been released in April 2017..

And the last actual update was like in September 2016

Dayum am I gonna laugh when google announce the next android in about 5 months

Yeah thats true

Honestly, if you want to see another project extremely similar to this, look at gonemad. He's also a solo coder for his music app working on a revamp. His player also uses a custom engine based on ffmpeg just like Poweramp. Look at this blog and see how much more communication he has about the status of his revamp and on a much shorter timeline as well. I can only dream of max communicating with us like that.

Archived