Poweramp v3 Project Update (please read first post for latest info before commenting)

andrewilley

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, hapelectrique said:

I have a bug on Android beta 8.1.0 when the status bar is completly useless will it have a fix in a future update of the alpha Poweramp version ?

You can try force closing Poweramp, clear the cache on your phone and reopen it, of the status bar is all white go to Poweramp settings and change the status bar buttons to inverse

3 hours ago, whiplash1 said:

Alright this thread is a joke now. I give up on storing hi-res music on my phone anymore, because it's just not compatible with Nougat and we already have a plethora of Oreo ROMs. Zero communication whatsoever.

704 does work with Nougat. Well, on a good number of devices anyway. You don't even mention what device you are using....

Andre

6 hours ago, andrewilley said:

704 does work with Nougat. Well, on a good number of devices anyway. You don't even mention what device you are using....

Andre

By "work on Nougat" you mean it shows up in the settings? Yeah it does show up. But each time headphones are connected it switches to the default output, just like several others have reported. And I have a OnePlus One.

2 hours ago, whiplash1 said:

By "work on Nougat" you mean it shows up in the settings? Yeah it does show up. But each time headphones are connected it switches to the default output, just like several others have reported. And I have a OnePlus One.

Ah sorry, I thought you mean the app did not work in your version of Nougat at all, but you actually meant that just the experimental high-res output feature failed? This should hopefully be resolved in the next beta release as that is being tested with lots of newer devices and Android versions, but for now you can still play your music perfectly fine, but it will be downsampled to regular 48kHz (i.e. DVD/BluRay quality, a little higher than CD quality).

Andre

There is a way to enable the high-res output on Nugat. At least for rooted phones.

I have Axon 7 with Nugat and I changed /system/build.prop

Replaced line

"ro.product.manufacturer=ZTE"

with

"ro.product.manufacturer=samsung"

and  added

"persist.audio.uhqa=1" 

Full guide is availlable at

https://forum.xda-developers.com/axon-7/how-to/guide-how-to-enable-24bit-192khz-t3704123

38 minutes ago, dprimic said:

There is a way to enable the high-res output on Nugat. At least for rooted phones.

Replaced line

with

and  added

"persist.audio.uhqa=1" 

https://forum.xda-developers.com/axon-7/how-to/guide-how-to-enable-24bit-192khz-t3704123

That wouldn't help. The player will utilize the mixer instead of dsp offloading or direct output. Meaning there is no difference, however you will see a fancy chunk of text saying everything works just fine. Not to mention Axon's implementation of dedicated DAC should kick in (code dependant), otherwise you will be fooled and encounter placebo effect by listening to wcd codec. 

Prove your approach, do an AudioFlinger dump or measure frequency response on your PC with RMAA. 

50 minutes ago, dprimic said:

Replaced line

with

and  added

"persist.audio.uhqa=1" 

Sir this trick only shows that it is working but really it is not

Open terminal emulator

Type "su "

Hit enter

Then type "dumpsys media.audio_flinger"

Voila reality revealed...

1 hour ago, mpschahal16 said:

Then type "dumpsys media.audio_flinger"

Of course if this the only way you can tell, rather there being an audible difference to your ears. then there's not much point in using high-res output in the first place... ;)

Andre

32 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

Of course if this the only way you can tell, rather there being an audible difference to your ears. then there's not much point in using high-res output in the first place... ;)

Andre

I m giving this proof coz when i tried that trick first time 

I found that my ears are not accepting that sound....so i researcd n found how to check Audio output info

2 minutes ago, Crow said:

The reason I joined this forum was because after upgrading to Nougat I noticed a significant reduction is sound quality when using Poweramp, which then prompted me to measure the frequency response of the headphone output confirming that it was limited to 20kHz.

Now I accept it may not be the wider frequency response that is contribution to the higher sound quality, but using the experimental high-res out certainly creates an audible improvement that I picked up on without initially knowing that was why things did not sound as good as before. In fact I now have another Android app that can also play HiRes direct to my phones DAC but it does not sound quite as good as Poweramp's HiRes mode which I guess must be due to a cleaner audio path when using Poweramp, but it too sounds much better than other apps using the standard Android audio output.

I have now downgraded back to Marshmallow and the sound quality is back to how I remembered it.  

Is tha app is Neutron

I've been watching this thread for months, anxious to read an update. It's been entertaining. There are some recurring points I wanted to address.

1. Poweramp - Paying for an upgrade. The belief is this lengthy delay, assuming it will release, is justified because the upgrade is free. The fact is if the upgrade was $10 USD, we would be exactly where we are today. So the money issue is not relevant. Paying for an upgrade would not have gotten Poweramp here any quicker. And using the "current version is good enough" as an excuse for the delay is wrong.

2. "Poweramp is the best audio engine on the market." The best audio engines on Android work around Android audio limitations. They are custom. Poweramp is not the only player with a custom engine. The competition is offering features beyond PA, e.g. network play, streaming, with equal or superior audio quality. If you think otherwise, you need to exit the PA bubble for a little while. Try USB Audio Player Pro (UAPP) or Neutron. (UAPP began as player to support external DACs. It supports internal DACs too.) UAPP doesn't have nice EQ presets out of the box, but you can recreate a PA one.

Don't get me wrong. PA has a great engine, but it's not the only great engine anymore.

3. "Poweramp's current interface is fine." It is unfortunate the players with the best engine do not have the best user interfaces. (Conversely, the players with the best interfaces do not have the best engines.) There are reasonable use cases the current PA interface can't satisfy. I really wish maxmp found a stellar UI programmer so he could focus on the engine. There is so much it needs feature wise to compete.

4. "maxmp is too busy to interact with customers." Max posted an image of his source code commits. I recognize his tool, SmartGit. SmartGit is one of the top version control tools out there. The developer, Dmitry, keeps SmartGit up to date with new Git features and adds his own. He's a busy guy. Yet he takes time to participate in his company's forum and is very responsive to email. There are many developers out there like Dmitry. No developer is so busy that he can't take the time to keep connected with his user base. Coding software is not a guy hacking out code from morning to night with no breaks. To justify the silence encourages it.

5. "Developing a new user interface takes a long time." It is an effort. It's a Herculian effort if an application is designed poorly internally, i.e. no separation of interests: user interface and engine. But several Android developers, including music player developers, have updated their application's user interface in far less time. GoneMad MP is under going one now, and you can track the progress on his blog site. Kudos to him!

Like everyone, I look forward to the next version. My fear is progress is slow not due to technical challenges, but a lack of drive, be it absence of passion for the product or a hunger to succeed. Not saying that is the case, but it is a possibility. (Did the original versions, when it was built from scratch, take this long?)

I've enjoyed PA. Switched to LG's Music app on V20 for a while. UAPP has become daily player.

Cheers.

9 hours ago, kamiller42 said:

I've been watching this thread for months, anxious to read an update. It's been entertaining. There are some recurring points I wanted to address.

1. Poweramp - Paying for an upgrade. The belief is this lengthy delay, assuming it will release, is justified because the upgrade is free. The fact is if the upgrade was $10 USD, we would be exactly where we are today. So the money issue is not relevant. Paying for an upgrade would not have gotten Poweramp here any quicker. And using the "current version is good enough" as an excuse for the delay is wrong.

2. "Poweramp is the best audio engine on the market." The best audio engines on Android work around Android audio limitations. They are custom. Poweramp is not the only player with a custom engine. The competition is offering features beyond PA, e.g. network play, streaming, with equal or superior audio quality. If you think otherwise, you need to exit the PA bubble for a little while. Try USB Audio Player Pro (UAPP) or Neutron. (UAPP began as player to support external DACs. It supports internal DACs too.) UAPP doesn't have nice EQ presets out of the box, but you can recreate a PA one.

Don't get me wrong. PA has a great engine, but it's not the only great engine anymore.

3. "Poweramp's current interface is fine." It is unfortunate the players with the best engine do not have the best user interfaces. (Conversely, the players with the best interfaces do not have the best engines.) There are reasonable use cases the current PA interface can't satisfy. I really wish maxmp found a stellar UI programmer so he could focus on the engine. There is so much it needs feature wise to compete.

4. "maxmp is too busy to interact with customers." Max posted an image of his source code commits. I recognize his tool, SmartGit. SmartGit is one of the top version control tools out there. The developer, Dmitry, keeps SmartGit up to date with new Git features and adds his own. He's a busy guy. Yet he takes time to participate in his company's forum and is very responsive to email. There are many developers out there like Dmitry. No developer is so busy that he can't take the time to keep connected with his user base. Coding software is not a guy hacking out code from morning to night with no breaks. To justify the silence encourages it.

5. "Developing a new user interface takes a long time." It is an effort. It's a Herculian effort if an application is designed poorly internally, i.e. no separation of interests: user interface and engine. But several Android developers, including music player developers, have updated their application's user interface in far less time. GoneMad MP is under going one now, and you can track the progress on his blog site. Kudos to him!

Like everyone, I look forward to the next version. My fear is progress is slow not due to technical challenges, but a lack of drive, be it absence of passion for the product or a hunger to succeed. Not saying that is the case, but it is a possibility. (Did the original versions, when it was built from scratch, take this long?)

I've enjoyed PA. Switched to LG's Music app on V20 for a while. UAPP has become daily player.

Cheers.

I can't agree more with points 3, 4 and 5. I will consider to download and check UAPP for point 2 and for switching away from PA in general. Point 1 is debatable. I mostly agree with "Paying for an upgrade would not have gotten Poweramp here any quicker." although this may have introduced the missing driving factor. As for the "good enough" quality of the alpha version I am of the opinion that users favour stability over the tendency of testing new features. Sure, testing is always interesting, especially when substancial new features are introduced but at some point innovation must mature to stability.

I wonder how Max would improve the beta if most of his user base was tired of waiting and migrated to other players in the meantime.

I recently switched back to Android 4.4.2 as a result of my phone dying on me and found out that Hiby player actually sounds better than PA alpha on this version of Android. I'm sticking with it until I buy a new phone.

15 hours ago, kamiller42 said:

Cheers.

But again there have been countless people that said if Max opened a donation to developer button in the app there would be a ton of people that are willing to support him because they really enjoy his products and his work, we've been on this forums for what? Since January of 2016 it's about to be 2 years now, we have been waiting every day hoping it's gonna be released the next day, week or even month, people keep saying that it's because he has to keep rewriting code in because one code might cause problems somewhere else and that's been happening a lot. We don't know if Max is as motivated or as driven as he was since he started but only he could tell us that. Since it's already December 1st I don't know if it's gonna be out by December or if we will still go into 2018 without it ?

There's no point suggesting payments for v3 as Max has already rejected this, he wants it to be free to existing paid users. He also said he tried farming modules out to other people to help with the development time but that didn't go well. Unfortunately, as hopefully everyone here by now realises, it will be done when its done.

Andre

I have been toying with almost all the mainstream music apps on the Play Store market and my current daily choice is Neutron. 

I need stable gapless playback, cue sheet support and the ability to bypass android 44.1khz to 48khz SRC malfuction. Both Netron and UAPP fulfill all my requirements while Neutron provides slightly better sound qualities and vastly superior media scan speed compared to UAPP. Poweramp alpha 704's experimental Hi-res support and SRC correction feature never work on my Android 7 based MIUI9.

Apps like JetAudio, PlayerPro and some others also ultilize Qualcomm's Aqstic to provide Hi-res and SRC correction but lack cue sheet parsing. Their gapless playbacks do occur glitches from time to time and can't compete with the natural, seamless track transitions on Neutron, UAPP or Poweramp either.

Onkyo HF and NePlayer can only bypass SRC through extrernal USB DACs, also the lack of cue support is a deal breaker for me.

The Chinese developed Hiby claims so much, yet delivers so little. In theory, their in-house built proprietary technology should have bypassed SRC, supported Hi-res and gapless. Yet they fail miserably on the latter two fronts on all platforms I've tested on, Qualcomm, Mediatek, Allwinner. And cosmetically, not only their circle shaped progress bar looks weird, but is far less intuitive to use.

Back on Poweramp, nowdays I only use it to edit ID tags on music files I purchased and extracted from Google Play store.

Screenshot_2017-12-02-02-07-46-897_com.miui.home.png

Archived