Poweramp v3 Project Update (please read first post for latest info before commenting)

andrewilley

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/7/2017 at 11:28 PM, andrewilley said:

I did get a brief reply from Max on Saturday, saying "I'm still working on UI. Unfortunately it's not possible to predict when it will end, and I can't set deadline. Will try to post current state of things on forum shortly, though."

Andre

Hmm assuming that the video is true, yeah I guess he should work on the ui more

I though that was a joke when we said that release will be next year, but I can see that wasn't joke. Only thing what joke is, is how development looks alike here. Congratulations. It's already more than half year since "next month". If civilization would be developed in that speed, we would be still driving on horses back and living in wooden homes. 

13 hours ago, Kexmeister said:

That short video that showed some gestural animations looked absolutely great. If that appears in the next version, it'll be worth the wait.

No, it won't be worth the wait. Check retro player for example. This app was build in a year from scratch by person that don't have super experience in Android coding, yet made MORE than what Max did in 2 years. Sorry.

7 hours ago, Brainscollector said:

No, it won't be worth the wait. Check retro player for example. This app was build in a year from scratch by person that don't have super experience in Android coding, yet made MORE than what Max did in 2 years. Sorry.

It's probably much easier to create a music player based on existing libraries than custom-building all of the frameworks required to have hi-res output on tens of devices.

Creating a standard API to make everything skinnable is probably also more difficult than having a set interface.

It's also highly likely that Max has a day job as well, so if he was busy he wouldn't be able to spend as much time as normal working on it. I don't think Poweramp would sell enough consistently to earn enough to live on.

I'm not saying that it's not disappointing to have ETAs constantly being pushed back, forcing users to deal with bugs because he can't release a new version based on half-baked code. All I'm trying to get across is that Max is also a person, and that it's incredibly difficult to give accurate estimations on how long complex software takes to develop, especially on a one-man team working part-time. 

If these releases were alpha or beta there would be no need for them to be fine tuned. A fine tuned release is called stable.

For me the best release method would be to limit the test versions to this forum and only stable ones to the PlayStore.

People here would install them knowing they are incomplete software and help with development and bug hunting.

This currently feels more like the dev made an app for himself and is sharing it to others just because, therefore these forums make little sense.

My comparison was with Asus Merlin firmwares for Asus routers by RMerlin.

He provides test versions without any support and you flash them if you want and provide feedback to help in getting them to stable.

5 hours ago, Kado said:

If these releases were alpha or beta there would be no need for them to be fine tuned. A fine tuned release is called stable.

For me the best release method would be to limit the test versions to this forum and only stable ones to the PlayStore.

People here would install them knowing they are incomplete software and help with development and bug hunting.

This currently feels more like the dev made an app for himself and is sharing it to others just because, therefore these forums make little sense.

He provides test versions without any support and you flash them if you want and provide feedback to help in getting them to stable.

This post. Right in point

15 hours ago, Kado said:

......... what? Pretty sure that's exactly what thos is. The stable main version is on tbe playstore and this is entirely seperate for now

16 hours ago, Kado said:

Yes... absolutely.

Developer should push current alpha as beta on play store and current version (on which he is working on) should be pushed as alpha release.

Max seem not to understand meaning of the alpha and beta releases. Just chrome as example - there is stable version, beta, Dev, canary, every single one has its own update frequency, and that's how it should look alike - stable, beta playstore and alpha pushed as nightly or something like that. But nah, let's make alpha release polished like final product, beta with one minor fix and stable with minor 2 fixes.

2 hours ago, Brainscollector said:

Max seem not to understand meaning of the alpha and beta releases. Just chrome as example - there is stable version, beta, Dev, canary, every single one has its own update frequency, and that's how it should look alike - stable, beta playstore and alpha pushed as nightly or something like that. But nah, let's make alpha release polished like final product, beta with one minor fix and stable with minor 2 fixes.

Do you have any idea how many developers Google uses for Chrome alone? How can this be compared to PA?

4 hours ago, Brainscollector said:

Max has said that application build can't be compiled properly without complete interface so he can't make new test version and here goes another offtop page. He also said there gonna be frequent updates after beta release. Please read previous pages next time.

Just to let you guys know I won't be around on the forums quite as much as usual for the next two weeks (family stuff) so please play nice in the meantime! Otherwise I'll have to log in and close this thread again until I get back full-time.

Andre

On 7/5/2017 at 5:30 PM, andrewilley said:

You can turn off all the notifications and also the quick-launch shortcuts, but this Samsung-based ROM still insists on showing an empty wake screen which you need to swipe away to get to the pattern-unlock screen.

Did you find a solution? I knew I'd seen this somewhere. Just saw it while messing around with my lockscreen settings. With Xposed Gravitybox has "Direct Unlock" under Lockscreen tweaks for skipping the swipe. It also allows removing the dim overlay there. There's also another Xposed module "Bright Lockscreen" that allows customising the dim overlay percentage if you prefer too. 

Here's a bonus for you. Depending on your manufacturer's setup your keyguard screen may not show the status bar and status bar icons. Use Xposed module NotifyClean to enable show status bar while keyguard to get it.  

I prefer a swipe lockscreen full of widgets myself. Widgets on lockscreen were removed from Lollipop. Still I preferred more customisation from WidgetLocker before then and since then the Xposed module "Lock screen widgets" for a more suited implementation to the changes. I also have to use the app "NiLS Lock Screen Notifications" since Lollipop to get notifications on the lock screen with some privacy and customisation. Another example of Google starting to lock things down the way they see fit.

Neutron is nipping at the heels of Poweramp. Latest version of Neutron Player supports Hi-Res output on the Fiio X5iii and iBasso DX200 (Android based dedicated DAPs).

Poweramp is still the best music player for Android, but with the extremely slow update cycle it's quite possible another player will soon overtake it.

On 17.08.2017 at 5:14 AM, andrewilley said:

Just to let you guys know I won't be around on the forums quite as much as usual for the next two weeks (family stuff) so please play nice in the meantime! Otherwise I'll have to log in and close this thread again until I get back full-time.

Andre

7c3.jpg

Archived