Poweramp v3 Project Update (please read first post for latest info before commenting)

andrewilley

On 02/02/2018 at 3:38 PM, tmz said:

If you don't enable scrobbling in Poweramp and just let Simple Last.fm Scrobbler detect Poweramp and enable it there, scrobbling works fine. This was my only issue with the alpha initially, which is, thankfully, easy to avoid.

Now it's the notification controls in Oreo which bug me the most (though clever_man does have a substitute app to provide those).

Hopefully we'll see v3 before the next Android release exposes more issues.

that doesn't work for me

Edit: played music for around 4 hours yesterday, 2 now playing notifications, zero scrobbles :/

inCollage_20180208_233840773~01.jpg

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/4/2018 at 11:19 AM, utahman1971 said:

I'll be upset, when I get upgrade to Oreo in May, and I lose the Hi Res option.

You'll not only be upset by losing Hi Res option, what hurts the most is breaking Notification/lockscreen control in Oreo. I don't know if Samsung Experience will handle differently, but it break on most of the AOSP ROM.

3 minutes ago, speedingcheetah said:

random question....

Does Poweramp support playing to wifi speakers like Sonos?

I was looking at getting Sonos, but the vids i seen on YouTube seem to show that u have to stream things through Sonos app or through compatible streaming apps (Google Music, Pandora etc)

I have Sonos speakers and the subwoofer, it doesn't use power amp as an app but it lets you play music directly from your phones storage over wifi or use apps like sound cloud or Spotify etc, yes you need to use the Sonos app though, hope this helped

1 hour ago, Stevieex23 said:

yes you need to use the Sonos app though, 

As a Sonos owner (well my wife is anyway) their app makes me appreciate Poweramp's flexibility all the more. Their sorting options for example are pretty-much non-existent. I too wish PA could output to more devices, but although DLNA/Chromecast/etc are on the road-map, I think we're still several cities (or possibly countries) away on that map,

Andre

10 hours ago, DirtyDan said:

that doesn't work for me

Edit: played music for around 4 hours yesterday, 2 now playing notifications, zero scrobbles :/

You need to enable Scrobble via Official Last.fm app in in Poweramp. Also take care about battery saving features your smartphone may have. This could kill simple last.fm scrobbler when you disable your display.

I've posted my complete settings here and I don't have any problems with scrobbling:

13 hours ago, andrewilley said:

As a Sonos owner (well my wife is anyway) their app makes me appreciate Poweramp's flexibility all the more. Their sorting options for example are pretty-much non-existent. I too wish PA could output to more devices, but although DLNA/Chromecast/etc are on the road-map, I think we're still several cities (or possibly countries) away on that map,

Andre

So thats a no. just as i thought.....I play all my music via Poweramp cause of the EQ. also my playlists are in there.  So i guess only Bluetooth speakers then would work with PA.

12 hours ago, last resort said:

You need to enable Scrobble via Official Last.fm app in in Poweramp. Also take care about battery saving features your smartphone may have. This could kill simple last.fm scrobbler when you disable your display.

I've posted my complete settings here and I don't have any problems with scrobbling:

There's clearly many factors at play here. I have no scrobbling options enabled in Poweramp and scrobbling is working well. Best of luck in finding settings which work for you Dan!

You are all discussing the complete nonsense)) There's nothing to talk about, a lot of devices are updated to Oreo, but none of the phones will not have stable player performance. The situation seems to me like this - until July, there will not be anything at all, since Max will wait for the version of Android for developers, then he will wait for beta, the release of the candidate, and so on indefinitely)))

36 minutes ago, Sanket103 said:

Did Some1 made a contact with Max..I hope he s in Good health.. its been months since his last msg..

Interestingly Max appears more interested in providing updates and screenshots from the development builds to a couple of Russian members of this forum than to the moderator.

This material design update project makes no sense whatsoever. There is no valid explanation for why it's taking so long to update the UI of a music player. There is also no valid reason why Oreo problems with the current 704 build can't be fixed. Source code managers support branching and you can fix problems in a branch (704) without affecting development in the main branch. You can even commit fixes to multiple branches.

49 minutes ago, Sanket103 said:

Did Some1 made a contact with Max..I hope he s in Good health.. its been months since his last msg..

At 4pda skip the screenshots of the final UI and the premise that there was not on the tablets and plans for a dark theme. But after the post was removed. So there is not a single concept. We can see by 2020, if the stars converge and Mars will be on the line with the Venus.

13 hours ago, antonridd said:

At 4pda skip the screenshots of the final UI and the premise that there was not on the tablets and plans for a dark theme. But after the post was removed. So there is not a single concept. We can see by 2020, if the stars converge and Mars will be on the line with the Venus.

Well, because he has a greater audience there and de facto he is russian. It's just more convenient to communicate in russian for him rather to do a lenghty explanation on this forum, which appears to be a ticking bomb, judging by this thread alone. 

There is a glimpse of hope if you look closely at the screenshot. One could notice "Track is decoupled from audioplayer and moved to PowerampAPI". The mentioned API is no less than a layer code, in other words is a framework (allegedly as I guess), to elude conventional audio implementation as seen in the Google's guidelines. Hence, that means audio routing will most likely be independent, at sole discretion of the software (the notorious hi res output, yay). It has already been done by the Neutron's author, in a very clumsy way; but given there is no viable workaround (thanks to the pile of junk, Android that is), it works just as fine as you would expect a contemporary music player on Android to do. 

I'm not cherry-picking strings of git commits from a sketchy picture and not looking to put up theories. Android Oreo had brought to us even more inconvenience (rather a greater amount of pain to software developers), there is a whole lot of things for Max to do at this point of time, including reworking deprecated notification system (to some extent, Android fumbled with it again) and introducing the MMAP output (as a part of the AAudio architecture, hell no more of that crap). And guess what? It takes time. 

1 hour ago, Quade13 said:

And guess what? It takes time. 

Yes but android development will not wait for Max to perfect Poweramp and at this rate the wait will be eternal.

If we stop and think about this, the simple fact of wanting "material" interface for a media player that has a good interface already instead of useful functions was what started it all.

People who voted for it should try neutron!

https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/12/17003326/google-android-p-redesign-notch-support-assistant-integration-rumors 

Android already about to be releasing the details on Android P,  Beta version for app developers is releasing shortly after, so is max going to stop the release to work on the new update again, because I fear that this will happen every year and then we enter a endless void where nothing gets released because of compatibility for new versions which then cause a new problem max has to fix and so on. 

Moderating this thread is a bit of a fine line. I don't want to heavily censor it to "very nice comments only" or anything like that, but equally it can quickly descend into chaos and personal attacks too.

We're all in the same boat as far as being frustrated with the extended development delays - and I'm sure Max is the same, he'd rather it was out in the wild for people to use too, so he can move on and start adding new audio playback features rather than just working on an interface.

Andre

We would rather have Poweramp as an open source project, so anyone could contribute and make the development faster. Max can still get most of the revenue, while sharing a small portion in royalties with the top contributors (as the Phonograph dev does).

1 hour ago, Quade13 said:

We would rather have Poweramp as an open source project, so anyone could contribute and make the development faster. Max can still get most of the revenue, while sharing a small portion in royalties with the top contributors (as the Phonograph dev does).

Can't agree with you more. Open source projects are good.

Archived