Poweramp v3 Project Update (please read first post for latest info before commenting)

andrewilley

3 hours ago, utahman1971 said:

I just purchased phonograph pro. I do not need equalizer FX Pro but I do have that anyways, but I am using the S7 Edge default equalizer and so far besides Poweramp doing well with DVC making the volume more noticeable. Phonograph just boosts the SoundAlive equalizer on my phone compared to other apps that lets me use the default equalizer. So Phonograph to me sounds awesome. I like the way it looks too. Since, I like it. I might just stick with it even when Poweramp is finally offered. Depends on how soon Max finishes it and how it looks and feels when beta finally released. I still fan of Poweramp, and just patiently wait for it while using Phonograph Pro. I think Phonograph is using the built in DAC, that is why it sounds so good to me. I also noticed that it does not come with an Equalizer built on the app of Phonograph. I could not find one in the settings. Did not give me a choice to use Phonograph equalizer at all.

Sigh. 

Well, it does utilize the DSP offloading (by default!), and just in case your ROM implements code hooking for dedicated DACs (don't mistake it for codecs, such as qcom's) when the output is being processed and created, then you are on the sweet spot. 

Otherwise, there's a chance it erroneously limits the playback to 16 bit (system-wise related issues). 

Example: Screenshot_20180203-075025_01.thumb.png.502523a5ea44517b89bc53ed3dedf73b.png

That is what we anticipate to see in Poweramp. 

Hope Andre doesn't mind we converse on competitors in this thread. 

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Quade13 said:

Hope Andre doesn't mind we converse on competitors in this thread. 

I'd prefer if we stayed on topic, but as long as it doesn't persist for too long... I can understand why the discussion though, so I'll leave it in place for now. Let's cal it a wishlist for v3 features discussion.:)

Andre

6 hours ago, utahman1971 said:

I just purchased phonograph pro. I do not need equalizer FX Pro but I do have that anyways, but I am using the S7 Edge default equalizer and so far besides Poweramp doing well with DVC making the volume more noticeable. Phonograph just boosts the SoundAlive equalizer on my phone compared to other apps that lets me use the default equalizer. So Phonograph to me sounds awesome. I like the way it looks too. Since, I like it. I might just stick with it even when Poweramp is finally offered. Depends on how soon Max finishes it and how it looks and feels when beta finally released. I still fan of Poweramp, and just patiently wait for it while using Phonograph Pro. I think Phonograph is using the built in DAC, that is why it sounds so good to me. I also noticed that it does not come with an Equalizer built on the app of Phonograph. I could not find one in the settings. Did not give me a choice to use Phonograph equalizer at all.

had to install equalizer FX Pro because is does not seem to make use of my LG V20 equalizer. Ill always love Poweramp, the sound is amazing. The screenshots of the new PA UI is just very ugly. To be honest, Phonograph is just easy to use. Max should look at it and take some of the design and the way it works and incorporate  it into Poweramp.

Not sure why Max took the direction he took with the new UI. I like something that is simple and customizable. Then again, i know users will make skins. So that's a plus.

29 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

I'd prefer if we stayed on topic, but as long as it doesn't persist for too long... I can understand why the discussion though, so I'll leave it in place for now. Let's cal it a wishlist for v3 features discussion.:)

Andre

I hope people reading will not mistake my post as a promotion for a different app. Just listing what i like and dislike is all. Poweramp really is a bit cumbersome to use. Not fluid at all which is a shame. I hope this will be fixed, though from the screenshot, it really does not go with material design at all.

1 hour ago, BROKEN said:

had to install equalizer FX Pro because is does not seem to make use of my LG V20 equalizer. Ill always love Poweramp, the sound is amazing. The screenshots of the new PA UI is just very ugly. To be honest, Phonograph is just easy to use. Max should look at it and take some of the design and the way it works and incorporate  it into Poweramp.

Max had to take this direction simply because he did the survey way before the hi res support rant grew mainstream throughout Android community. It has been a major concern lately, nobody flipped a duck back then when the redesign works commenced. 

I'd rather recommend you to ditch any kind of equalizers and make use of different headphones and/or IIR filters, if present.

Personally for everyone lauding up phonographs ui and quality... It has good features but is plain bland. Its just material UI in plain form... Even v2 Poweramp with a material skin fares better even sound quality wise. As for the v3 UI the take on material design by max is interesting (never seen before). And therefore i wouldn't judge before actually using it myself. I feel v3 ui would be trend setting or unique... Something which Poweramp always is compared to other players

1 hour ago, Ameya28 said:

Personally for everyone lauding up phonographs ui and quality... It has good features but is plain bland. Its just material UI in plain form... Even v2 Poweramp with a material skin fares better even sound quality wise. As for the v3 UI the take on material design by max is interesting (never seen before). And therefore i wouldn't judge before actually using it myself. I feel v3 ui would be trend setting or unique... Something which Poweramp always is compared to other players

There are folks out there who appreciate quality before usability. I would have been listening to a vinyl player (dang, a tangible phonograph, what a coincidence!) if I owned one. No fiddling with analogue converters. The same philosophy applies to Android music playback: I want the sound to travel from point A to point B, unhindered, without layers upon layers of digital audio enhancers. Ever since I've had my first mobile device it's been a pain in the buttocks to achieve for the acme of perfection in that regard. Unfortunately, neither of the mainstream players on Android granted me such an option, except for a few not related to the craze for "the best player on Play Market". 

So Phonograph did it right on point for me. Should Poweramp deliver the same advantage of unattainable (subjectively) sound quality, I will swap back. 

9 minutes ago, Quade13 said:

There are folks out there who appreciate quality before usability. I would have been listening to a vinyl player (dang, a tangible phonograph, what a coincidence!) if I owned one. No fiddling with analogue converters. The same philosophy applies to Android music playback: I want the sound to travel from point A to point B, unhindered, without layers upon layers of digital audio enhancers. Ever since I've had my first mobile device it's been a pain in the buttocks to achieve for the acme of perfection in that regard. Unfortunately, neither of the mainstream players on Android granted me such an option, except for a few not related to the craze for "the best player on Play Market". 

So Phonograph did it right on point for me. Should Poweramp deliver the same advantage of unattainable (subjectively) sound quality, I will swap back. 

Well android also uses audio processingfor that matter.. so you cannot get untouched playback for any player u use.its just a matter of who makes the most out of the dac/dsp of your device

You are getting some abnormal readings. It has never drained more than 2%/hr charge on my fairly new battery unit. Check out your power consumption of MediaServer system service, it used to be the principal culprit of severe drains on earlier Android versions. 

By the way, if you are so inclined, you can upsample primary audio outputs systemwide by modifying policy configurations. Although Android's Speex resampler is a piece of junk. 

4 hours ago, utahman1971 said:

I will be upset, when I get upgrade to Oreo in May, and I lose the Hi Res option.

I'm hesitant to predict that the next Poweramp beta update should be out before then. It certainly ought to be, but I've ended up with egg on my face making predictions like that before... :)

Andre

12 hours ago, utahman1971 said:

Also, PA upscales mp3 to 24/192 on my s7 edge.

Why would you do that? Resampling degrades audio quality.

On 2/3/2018 at 1:07 PM, Ameya28 said:

so you cannot get untouched playback for any player u use.its just a matter of who makes the most out of the dac/dsp of your device

Not true for external dacs, USB Audio Player Pro outputs bit perfect audio directly to the dac as it uses a custom made usb driver. Also it can send DSD streams directly to a supported dac.
I'm using an S.M.S.L. iDEA dac on my Moto X Style btw.

On 03.02.2018 at 10:40 AM, andrewilley said:

Andre

And what's the point of discussing what is not and never will be? Look, in May there will be a version of android P for developers that will be in it, no one specifically knows, hence from this moment again everything on the new and so without end on the Möbius loop. What Max grabs the interface? Let him handle the functional, let him betray the beta version of the people, what's stopping him? It's like a worldwide conspiracy))))

4 hours ago, Random.Potato said:

maybe Max don't know the way...

Let then honestly say - I do not have enough intelligence and opportunities, let him sell the project to the one (who) knows who will bring it to its logical conclusion. Everything is very simple

49 minutes ago, PeterFalk said:

Let then honestly say - I do not have enough intelligence and opportunities, let him sell the project to the one (who) knows who will bring it to its logical conclusion. Everything is very simple

Here's an analogy: let's take away your very own smartphone and hand it over to someone else, who allegedly knows the way it works, BETTER than you do. 

Why would you assume anybody is keen to acquire the software for further development? Why would they want a piece of unfinished code rubbish that requires a lot of preceding research before it is doable to commit changes and resume the development process (oh, and it subsequently prolonges the wait that is already frustrating)? There is always a way around, in fact plenty of: look up for alternatives on the Market. You don't like the software, you don't use it; now that is simple. 

2 hours ago, Quade13 said:

Here's an analogy: let's take away your very own smartphone and hand it over to someone else, who allegedly knows the way it works, BETTER than you do. 

Why would you assume anybody is keen to acquire the software for further development? Why would they want a piece of unfinished code rubbish that requires a lot of preceding research before it is doable to commit changes and resume the development process (oh, and it subsequently prolonges the wait that is already frustrating)? There is always a way around, in fact plenty of: look up for alternatives on the Market. You don't like the software, you don't use it; now that is simple. 

You missing a message from the developer that beta version will be out around March last year. I'ts a promise. And why you're here. Look the thread title. Its mean next PA under development, but almost a year no any beta app. LOL

4 minutes ago, Mohax said:

You missing a message from the developer that beta version will be out around March last year. I'ts a promise. And why you're here. Look the thread title. Its mean next PA under development, but almost a year no any beta app. LOL

How does this relate to the project transfer to another developer as previously discussed? 

On 3/22/2017 at 1:50 PM, andrewilley said:

As you are probably aware, the Poweramp developer, Max, has been working hard on an updated material design user interface for Poweramp v3, which required a full ground-up rebuild of the code so has taken over a year to develop. Note: this update will be included within the original purchase of v2, there will be no extra licence charge for existing users. 

It's not quite ready to be released for open testing yet, and it's very hard to predict the exact development time. Requests for ETAs are pointless, and will not make it happen any quicker! Max has all the custom components ready (buttons, new Album Art effect, lists, grids, now bottom navigation, etc., with everything animated) but during assembling - partly due to his attention to the fine details - it is taking a bit more time than anticipated to ensure it works properly across the diverse Android ecosystem. He doesn't want to just release it as is, with jerky animation and some non consistent behaviors on some devices.

Slide-in side menus (drawers) have been dropped completely. All user interface and navigation is now gesture and button driven, and the primary supplied skin will be white. However when using visualizations a black background will be used as they cannot be rendered on white. A black themed skin will also be provided.

Third-party skins will need to be redesigned for v3, and Max will be releasing the documentation for that closer to the main app release. The final release will include fixes for all supported hi-res audio devices and more (mostly Chinese) brands. There won't be any other major changes to the existing alpha-test audio engine or effects.

The next beta release will basically be close to the intended v3 release, so effectively feature complete, and the official release will hopefully follow shortly. There won't be a lengthy delay like there was between alpha and beta. Also, Poweramp v3 will be Android 5.0+ (Lollipop+) only, although the old PA v2 version will get a few bug fixes and will remain available for users of Android 2.3 - 4.4.

Max has said he will become more active here on the forums once the beta-test is released to catch feedback.

Once the official v3 release is complete, Max will turn his attentions to building new features for 'v4', which will include:

• Audio effect plugin framework, with sample projects.
  • More configuration options for existing Poweramp DSPs (e.g. parametric equalizer interface and selectable 5-8-10-16-24-32 EQ bands).
  • DLNA/Chromecast output (if Google will stop changing the Chromecast APIs all the time!).
  • A tablet-specific user interface (there is no specific tablet layout included with v3).

For the latest updates posted by Max, please see http://forum.powerampapp.com/index.php?/topic/10136-Poweramp-v3-project-update/&page=8#comment-40253 and http://forum.powerampapp.com/index.php?/topic/10136-Poweramp-v3-project-update/&page=11#comment-40719 .

Andre

I think that the latest ver. 3 beta is incredible I like the ability to adjust all the settings so finely. The new GUI is refreshing as well great job to the developers. Love the visualization...

3 hours ago, utahman1971 said:

I would say more April, but whatever. Make it longer than it really is. Actually, to be technical. May, since it says 24th of April. Oh and by the way, it says nothing up on top there about a promise at all to be done or available to anyone on that date either. Thread started March but does not mean a thing either. Just because you want to interpret it your way and expect it your way, does not mean it will be released your way.

LOL... that's not true at all. And don't  say anything about days, months or something ETA related. We was so traumatized. So, let's discussing the brand new PA until this thread goes to limited post, maybe until next year. Of course we'll still waiting ???

Archived