Jump to content
Poweramp
andrewilley

Poweramp v3 Project Update (please read first post for latest info before commenting)

Recommended Posts

28 minutes ago, Akilure said:

I have been toying with almost all the mainstream music apps on the Play Store market and my current daily choice is Neutron. 

I need stable gapless playback, cue sheet support...

Out of curiosity, what audio file format are you using with your cue files? I tested numerous players including Neutron and found that the cue timing for many formats was offset, where tracks would start too soon or too late.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28/11/2017 at 5:09 PM, Stevieex23 said:

You can try force closing Poweramp, clear the cache on your phone and reopen it, of the status bar is all white go to Poweramp settings and change the status bar buttons to inverse

It's white and unresponsive 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, djdarko said:

Out of curiosity, what audio file format are you using with your cue files? I tested numerous players including Neutron and found that the cue timing for many formats was offset, where tracks would start too soon or too late.

Hi, weirdly enough, I've never encountered any cue parsing, cue timing problems from Neutron since day one I've bought it several years ago. It runs smoothly on 32bit Android 5.0.2 Allwinner A80T SOC powered tablet and the current 64bit Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 powered Mi 6, Mi MIX 2 and low-end Snapdragon 625 Redmi Note 4X, and on other 64bit Mediatek MT6752, MT8176, P10, X30 SOC Android 6.0 and above devices.

 

Audio formats include 16bit 44.1khz 320kbps mp3s from online vendors like Play Store, Beatport, Junodownload. And mostly, hundreds of 16bit 44.1khz 1.4Mbps FLACs with cues converted from my physical CD collections. As well as tons of decade old live trance set-rips, 16bit 192kbps, 320kbps mp3s with cues, and lossy 16bit 320kbps live record in m4a format directly from DJ decks.

 

Neutron also handles Hi-res FLACs in 24bit 48khz, 24bit 96khz, 24bit 192khz with cues flawlessly.

 

I did notice similar unexpected sound cuts on track transitioning as you have described - not on Neutron but rather on UAPP during its v3.6.x era. I had to keep the device screen light on to avoid it. I was suspecting it might be something to do with power manangement related issue. In recent v3.8.0 the problem is gone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ACE7F22 said:

Sadly to say, not all producers use the best equipment, or how to mix and master their audio well.  Some music sounds great live, but their recordings suck, sound like trash. 

Bottom line, some music actually needs the help after it's produced.

Raw fact

Bass clarity in PA is unmatched

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/12/2017 at 11:54 PM, Akilure said:

I have been toying with almost all the mainstream music apps on the Play Store market and my current daily choice is Neutron. 

 

I need stable gapless playback, cue sheet support and the ability to bypass android 44.1khz to 48khz SRC malfuction. Both Netron and UAPP fulfill all my requirements while Neutron provides slightly better sound qualities and vastly superior media scan speed compared to UAPP. Poweramp alpha 704's experimental Hi-res support and SRC correction feature never work on my Android 7 based MIUI9.

 

Apps like JetAudio, PlayerPro and some others also ultilize Qualcomm's Aqstic to provide Hi-res and SRC correction but lack cue sheet parsing. Their gapless playbacks do occur glitches from time to time and can't compete with the natural, seamless track transitions on Neutron, UAPP or Poweramp either.

 

Onkyo HF and NePlayer can only bypass SRC through extrernal USB DACs, also the lack of cue support is a deal breaker for me.

 

The Chinese developed Hiby claims so much, yet delivers so little. In theory, their in-house built proprietary technology should have bypassed SRC, supported Hi-res and gapless. Yet they fail miserably on the latter two fronts on all platforms I've tested on, Qualcomm, Mediatek, Allwinner. And cosmetically, not only their circle shaped progress bar looks weird, but is far less intuitive to use.

 

Back on Poweramp, nowdays I only use it to edit ID tags on music files I purchased and extracted from Google Play store.

Screenshot_2017-12-02-02-07-46-897_com.miui.home.png

Hi I'm using Neutron too since my new phone isn't supporting high res on Poweramp. And while the hi res on Neutron sounds wee bit more sharper than Poweramp on my old phone. I'm getting too many issues. First the UI is horrendous (subjective). But most importantly I'm getting a lot of crackling in some flacs and mp3s. Do you experience crackling (esp. In 16 bit FLAC).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NHS2008 said:

Hi I'm using Neutron too since my new phone isn't supporting high res on Poweramp. And while the hi res on Neutron sounds wee bit more sharper than Poweramp on my old phone. I'm getting too many issues. First the UI is horrendous (subjective). But most importantly I'm getting a lot of crackling in some flacs and mp3s. Do you experience crackling (esp. In 16 bit FLAC).

Never experienced any of those.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah really...the amount of suspense behind the beta has really driven the community crazy?.Also minding the fact that max lastly replied around September and that he is the only developer on the project due to fallouts. I mean atleast the final v3 should release by Christmas i hope and pray?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Ameya28 said:

 I mean atleast the final v3 should release by Christmas i hope and pray?

I don't think there is any chance at all of a final v3 release by Christmas, although hopefully the next beta test featuring the new user interface that Max has been working on should be ready by then.

While I know that the userbase voted for a Material Design UI as their number one feature request, I do wonder whether that answer might have been somewhat different if they were aware it would require two years of programming during which time no other updates, feature additions or bug fixes would be possible.

Andre

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah i get the Material UI request factor,but i feel that everyone would be quite satisfied and happy even if the New UI is done right.Also an official skin featuring 2017-18 elements can be produced later. Glad to hear that the beta will be released about christmas time?.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

then ... let's be clear: we already have a fantastic player, this anxiety is not justified ... or rather ... in this way annoyed. I also look forward, especially if there will be further improvements on the HighDefinition side, but let's realize that the current product works great, so calm and calm I think

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, daveaspec said:

 

then ... let's be clear: we already have a fantastic player, this anxiety is not justified ... or rather ... in this way annoyed. I also look forward, especially if there will be further improvements on the HighDefinition side, but let's realize that the current product works great, so calm and calm I think

The player we have is definitely fantastic but this is a v3 discussion thread so its all about the new beta! Everyone is waiting and that makes some people to flip out nothing else... Its just a normal day on the thread?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Regarding the new release

A few questions if I could be so bold:

  1. If there is a beta/new alpha release will it be via the Play Store Poweramp beta channel?
  2. When v3.0 final is released (especially if a public beta is skipped) can you somehow release a notification to beta/alpha users so they know? Maybe release the final into the beta channel with a pop up advising people they can move over to the normal release.
  3. Can you add "cloud" support to the export/import settings system please? It will aid people moving from beta/alpha to the normal release.
    1. Maybe even a "auto backup" option as well, that would be handy because I usually always forget to export my settings when I wipe/replace my phone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The beta will most likely be released here on the website first, but then fairly quickly to the beta channel of Google Play. When the 'official' release of v3 happens I suspect it will be an automatic update on Google Play (as long as the user is running Android 5 or above)

Andre

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well after using Poweramp literally every day for nearly 7 years it's time to move on.

Such potential for development being stifled by an owner with absolutely no foresight.

Thanks to those who recommended USB Audio Player PRO .... it's not perfect but certainly a step up in some areas and more importantly is being actively developed.

Poweramp uninstalled on all my devices and link for the forum deleted. Thanks Max but too little too late. Such a shame.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think THE BEST alternative to Poweramp is Neutron Player. It is running by group of programmers not one person. It has hi res audio up to 768 khz, UPnP Streaming, all audiophile features that you need, like parametric equalizer, 20 band graphical equalizer and so on. And the lock screen player is THE BEST I EVER SEEN. I personally use these two players Neutron and Poweramp. But if Poweramp v3 would be with material design and hi res audio, I will use Poweramp as my primary music player. I think we will get Poweramp v3 at the end of winter and I will wait for it.

P.S. These two players use MINIMAL POWER CONSUMPTION, as opposed to all other music players on the market. I personally check power consumption of almost all the players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Either UAPP or Neutron are great. No fault picking one over the other. Neutron has oodles of options and bit perfect playback. UAPP resamples 44.1kHz to 48kHz if what I read is correct. Hopefully remedied soon.

I chose UAPP over Neutron because the developer is getting a LG V20 (I have a V20.) and will work with the ESS driver to maximize use of the DAC on LG phones. And I have to admit, the user interface. People can read more about these players and such at head-fi.

The tables can turn again if PA with an updated interface and engine enter the market.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, DTWD said:

Regarding the new release

A few questions if I could be so bold:

  1. If there is a beta/new alpha release will it be via the Play Store Poweramp beta channel?
  2. When v3.0 final is released (especially if a public beta is skipped) can you somehow release a notification to beta/alpha users so they know? Maybe release the final into the beta channel with a pop up advising people they can move over to the normal release.
  3. Can you add "cloud" support to the export/import settings system please? It will aid people moving from beta/alpha to the normal release.
    1. Maybe even a "auto backup" option as well, that would be handy because I usually always forget to export my settings when I wipe/replace my phone.

cloud support would be great.  I always forget to backup mine as well when resetting a phone.  Funny i reset my tablet and when i restored it Rocketplayer had the custom EQ presets still.  I did'nt back it up at all.  But asking for cloud support might set the release back another year lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, andrewilley said:

The beta will most likely be released here on the website first, but then fairly quickly to the beta channel of Google Play. When the 'official' release of v3 happens I suspect it will be an automatic update on Google Play (as long as the user is running Android 5 or above)

Andre

If that works then great, I just didn't want to be languishing on a beta while everyone on the normal channel is rocking the latest build :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, barcajuvebilbao said:

If you want audiophile music player Neutron

if you want mp3 player that looks great doubleTwist

Lets see what Poweramp will suggest us with v3

I hope it will be an audiophile music player with awesome UI and UX.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×