Poweramp v3 Project Update (please read first post for latest info before commenting)

andrewilley

4 hours ago, BROKEN said:

I'm pretty sure you can stop notifications showing on lock screen.

You can turn off all the notifications and also the quick-launch shortcuts, but this Samsung-based ROM still insists on showing an empty wake screen which you need to swipe away to get to the pattern-unlock screen. Sure, a First World problem I know, but it's just one of the many little interface annoyances that switching from KitKat is still causing me. I'm currently looking into app alternatives to the native lockscreen anyway.

On the plus side, this new 6.0.1 ROM (or possibly the more modern baseband/modem I installed at the same time?) seems to have completely cured any intermittent glitches in Bluetooth output. It now connects with the car very quickly and I've listened during a number of car journeys and not heard one single audio dropout (which occurred quite regularly on my original ROM, and also with a Lollipop one I tried in the meantime). I can also use high-res output in PA v3, and activate increased stepping values for volume levels. GPS lock is also far more reliable. So there do seem to be a lot a nice improvements 'under the hood', it's just the controls and the paint job that I'm not impressed with.... :) 

Andre

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Again six weeks later, no posting, no update nothing. Would not it be so miserable I could almost laugh about it. I am a man who says what he thinks but here I really miss the words. Just embarrassing and regrettable that one so the People ****ed. Thanks again to the Mod andrewilley, you've done your best.

I bought it in April. 

I trusted Max, but I was wrong.

I really thought it would be quick. Because it has not been updated for a year already.

But now Max doesn't even show up.. Only Andre works hard..

It's not normal. What are you doing, Max?? Are you alive??

1 hour ago, M G said:

I bought it in April. 

Does what you purchased (which was v2, build 589) work or not?

While I too would love a new v3 beta release to have been available by now, there would have been no point in Max releasing a broken version just because a load of people feel entitled to something before it is ready.

Andre

OK. v2 is work.

But you really think I bought it to use v2?:D

I had to buy to keep using the v3 Beta.

v3 Beta is still good. but I can't use Hi-Res output in V20.

I know Max is doing a hard job.

But he failed to keep his promise.

I just want to hear from Max directly. Is it difficult?

Am I making an unreasonable request?

3 hours ago, M G said:

I just want to hear from Max directly. Is it difficult?

Am I making an unreasonable request?

Yes, how difficult? Do you see any other app that supports high res output? No(except for Neplayer, but that one costs 20 euro and has barely any options), because all of them use 16bit/48khz resampling pathways, this is the only one to support non re-sampling, if it was so easy then all would support it, no? Besides is the current beta and alpha not working for you, v3 is not the product you are buying on google play, it is the v2 or current finished build to be precise, not a single word or promise of you getting v3 or anything beyond that.

Yes you are making an unreasonable request, development takes time.Yes we all want it to come out, but this constant whining brings us nothing at all, just enjoy the music and wait. It is not easy to build the whole app alone.

14 hours ago, lantian said:

Yes, how difficult? Do you see any other app that supports high res output? No(except for Neplayer, but that one costs 20 euro and has barely any options), because all of them use 16bit/48khz resampling pathways, this is the only one to support non re-sampling, if it was so easy then all would support it, no? Besides is the current beta and alpha not working for you, v3 is not the product you are buying on google play, it is the v2 or current finished build to be precise, not a single word or promise of you getting v3 or anything beyond that.

Yes you are making an unreasonable request, development takes time.Yes we all want it to come out, but this constant whining brings us nothing at all, just enjoy the music and wait. It is not easy to build the whole app alone.

There's on average 43,800 minutes per month...taking a mere 2 of those to post a short update on proceedings is in no way shape or form an unreasonable request....

2 hours ago, Forgotmypassword said:

There's on average 43,800 minutes per month...taking a mere 2 of those to post a short update on proceedings is in no way shape or form an unreasonable request....

This, i think the only real problem here is the lack of updates by max about how is going the development of v3...

3 hours ago, SpannerWZ said:

This, i think the only real problem here is the lack of updates by max about how is going the development of v3...

Yet every time he does, he is mostly met with whining and insults, most here just start complaining of why is it going to take more time so why bother?

1 hour ago, lantian said:

Yet every time he does, he is mostly met with whining and insults, most here just start complaining of why is it going to take more time so why bother?

I think that happens because the only thing he says is that there is going to be a further delay ... And this applies specifically to the ones that are stuck on Nougat 7.0 ROMs (assuming that 7.1 does not suffer from the bug that does not let people use the hi-res output as someone mentioned in the other thread for alpha 703/704).

26 minutes ago, musiclover said:

I think that happens because the only thing he says is that there is going to be a further delay ... 

What exactly do you want him to say, lie and say that there won't be any further wait when he knows there will? Max's last update said that all of the major work is complete, but device-specific stuff needs fixing before he can release a beta, especially for newer devices I assume. He did NOT give a timescale for that work, although I wrongly assumed that it probably wouldn't take more than six weeks or so and would thus most likely be in June (I have since removed that estimate).

I have asked Max again if he could perhaps find a few minutes to pop by and provide a new update, but that is entirely up to him of course.

Andre

2 hours ago, andrewilley said:

What exactly do you want him to say, lie and say that there won't be any further wait when he knows there will? Max's last update said that all of the major work is complete, but device-specific stuff needs fixing before he can release a beta, especially for newer devices I assume. He did NOT give a timescale for that work, although I wrongly assumed that it probably wouldn't take more than six weeks or so and would thus most likely be in June (I have since removed that estimate).

I have asked Max again if he could perhaps find a few minutes to pop by and provide a new update, but that is entirely up to him of course.

Andre

No, Max should not lie at all, you completely misunderstood. Instead of just announcing a further delay, he could focus on the positive aspects of development, phones that would be supported in the new version, problems that have been overcome, maybe post a screenshot or two, let us know what's holding him back, etc. It's totally different to expect something that is approaching slowly than to expect something that you are not sure it's coming at all. And to be honest Max raised the bar a lot with the alphas.

I believe that much is more than clear by now ...

1 hour ago, BROKEN said:

Too much entitlement in here. People did not pay for updates. I really hope Max makes us pay again or gives an option to donate.

I agree with you, if is an entire new release.... For all that work it will be fair to pay for that..... Is just my opinion...

July release date, for sure!

Lolz, jking, never gonna happen... Realistically though, I think a lot of people here don't appreciate the complexity of building an app like this for Android. The challenge is in the fact that there are so many different manufacturers and devices, all of which have multiple builds and versions of Android. Poweramp uses its own audio engine which bypasses Android, essentially manipulating the device software to allow direct access to the built in Hi Res dac.

Developing an app requires testing of all the most popular devices, and fixing a bug on one device can create a new bug on a different device... Large companies have whole teams for this type of work. Poweramp doesn't have these kinds of resources.

The only negative thing I would say, is that the existing 704 build should have seen a 705 release to fix the most glaring bugs, most notably issues with the Hi Res output.

People here would not be complaining anywhere near as much, if this approach had been taken. Practically everybody is on Android N by now, and thus stuck with 704 if they want to use Hi Res output (being a key feature of Poweramp).

It's completely understandable and acceptable that a full UI rebuild is taking longer than expected. But you need to give the people a product that works, in the meanwhile. Making empty promises about the release date has only compounded the issue.

Im coming back to this thread mostly for entertainment these days, secretly hoping that eventually the new build will be released...

But I still think Poweramp is a fantastic app. I nearly rolled back to Marshmallow when I found out about this issue with build 704.

Thread re-opened, but as a reminder personal comments aimed at either the dev or at other users will not be tolerated. Discussing the app is fine, and at least all the ETA requests are kept in one place, but keep it civil please.

Andre

Six days ago I talked with Max via Whatsapp, some information from him:

• He working hard and have no time for posting or communicating on forum. I asked few times for that but he is adamant.
  • Troubles with third-party developers - many things Max reworks by himself.
  • Complaining that can't to estimate approximate time.
  • After beta\realese will be new update behavior - small updates.
  • Update for alfa can't be done because UI completely new and not ability create new built without fully working UI.

I don't really mind at all that it takes a while for the V3 to be finished. Delay it as much as needed, I'd rather get a working app then something half done.  

However, without any sort of update on how things are going along, it can get really frustrating waiting for the new release. Just a simple; "Hey, it's delayed for a bit longer." to let us know progress is at least being made, and that it hasn't been abandoned, is enough.

1 hour ago, clever_man said:

Six days ago I talked with Max via Whatsapp, some information from him:

• He working hard and have no time for posting or communicating on forum. I asked few times for that but he is adamant.
  • Troubles with third-party developers - many things Max reworks by himself.
  • Complaining that can't to estimate approximate time.
  • After beta\realese will be new update behavior - small updates.
  • Update for alfa can't be done because UI completely new and not ability create new built without fully working UI.

If he has the time to talk to you over WhatsApp, surely he has the time post something in this thread instead? Not a big update, less than 10 words would be fine. Just anything. 

I remain skeptical that you're actually in contact with Max because of this.

I've spoken to Max over What's App in the past week too, and I've also asked him multiple times if he could spare a moment to update the forums - but at the end of the day it's his app and his choice whether he wants to work on it or spend his time reading abuse from users on the forums...

Andre

I've spoken to Max over What's App in the past week too, and I've also asked him multiple times if he could spare a moment to update the forums - but at the end of the day it's his app and his choice whether he wants to work on it or spend his time reading abuse from users on the forums...

Andre

It's more about hearing from him that he's not dead and still working on it. Just a few words. Directly from Max. 

I wouldn't want him to spend time reading through this thread or anything.

Archived