Poweramp v3 Project Update (please read first post for latest info before commenting)

andrewilley

Doing such a massive UI/UX change without giving at least concepts screenshot to the community ... This way you can be 99% sure that users will hate the new UI/UX even more than the old one

I don't understand what the point of a beta if you do this kind of things

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I maybe a Newbie but I will express my opinion any ways, Some people are against other people asking for ETAs, but in this case they have every right to ask for it, you [andre] are making a thread that an update is coming in the next month or so,but it took longer and longer, that's purely wrong, you should not have given any ETA in the first place, and now you're wining that people are asking for an ETA, well they have every damn right to ask for it, BTW I'm not asking for an ETA and never will, I'm just laying out some facts,

On 6/1/2017 at 6:00 AM, Kado said:

Sincerely hope that screenshot is fake. Where are the navigation buttons or seek bar? Buttons to rate music? Those buttons on the bottom are hideous! And the album art could be all the way to the edges of the screen. 

I think the seek bar is the waveform display on the bottom.

2 hours ago, Austin-316 said:

I maybe a Newbie but I will express my opinion any ways, Some people are against other people asking for ETAs, but in this case they have every right to ask for it, you [andre] are making a thread that an update is coming in the next month or so,but it took longer and longer, that's purely wrong, you should not have given any ETA in the first place, and now you're wining that people are asking for an ETA, well they have every damn right to ask for it, BTW I'm not asking for an ETA and never will, I'm just laying out some facts,

It's just as pointless for Max to give an ETA as it is for us to ask for one. Everytime they state one, it gets pushed back a month or two. Maybe if we stop talking about the release date, it might actually get released.

20 hours ago, Vandy said:

OMG,the button ,the album info,I couldn't understand the bottom interface , hope we can change skin in next beta

I think the grok the bottom interface - and I suspect this theme, whilst being an actual theme, maybe one just given out to testers, or a test theme for whatever theme engine Max has come up with.

Anyway, I suspect the bottom buttons are:

• Folders/Playlists/Artists
  • Equalizer settings ( people were asking about easy access, this would seem VERY easy access )
  • Search ( well duh )
  • Play queue

No progress bar? Well, the screenshot doesn't show animations and is just a static shot so who knows, but we do see the overlay of "0:55  [pause] 4.19" - which is progress information, we also see a clock icon ( strangely placed under the visualiser ) which MAY change this readout, or be a sleep-timer?

There's a button in the middle to the left of the random/repeat, which I guess is visualizer on/off - OR it might toggle between progress...

Voting? Seems odd, but then most players have some form of star rating system, maybe this is just a yay/nay ( works for me ) which works with some form of smart playlist.

Just looking at static screenshots really don't convey much about an application these days.

Hopefully it comes soon.... I'm eager...

Back from my trip to Rome now and trying to catch up here. I did ask Max/Alex to pop in to respond to anything urgent, but not sure whether they had the chance.

The reason Max does not want to release an interim beta is because it was a full ground-up rebuild which threw away most of the old interface code. So until all the existing features are supported it would be counter-productive to release something where some operational features were not accessible.

As you know, although I moderate the forums here, I am not privy to any early test releases like some other people seem to be (bitter? me?) so the interface photos are as surprising to me as they are to you. I'm just a user like everyone else here in that respect, and I'm going to reserve judgement until I see the final version, but I must confess I'm not wildly keen on some aspects, which hopefully can be skinned away. The title/artist white boxes just look like ugly afterthoughts, so hopefully they can be placed neatly beneath the cover artwork where those sort of things belong. Also not too keen on a live graphic display, I would prefer more (and much larger) control buttons (for example I can't see any album change buttons, and I hate swipe actions for those sort of things and have them all turned off at present). I wonder if track positional control is going to be handled via dragging on the screen somehow (like the very elegant MX Player for example)? 

Andre

1 minute ago, rafas92 said:

Me thinks more about the button of the paw up and down. It looks like some screensaver of an internet radio player than a photo of a Poweramp ...

I assume that's for setting ratings, each press increases the Like or Dislike amount. My TiVo works the same way, you don't have a 0-5 'stars' systems but a 0-3 Thumbs Up, or 0-3 Thumbs down.

Andre

1 hour ago, andrewilley said:

I assume that's for setting ratings, each press increases the Like or Dislike amount. My TiVo works the same way, you don't have a 0-5 'stars' systems but a 0-3 Thumbs Up, or 0-3 Thumbs down.

Andre

To be fair, you're the first person I've ever seen to rate his music. I think it'd be counterproductive to use it for ratings.

2 hours ago, andrewilley said:

Andre

Hi Andre, 

Thanks for maintaining this thread! 

There are a few issues with Alpha 704 that I hope will be fixed by V3's release. Alex told me via e-mail that he hopes to have it out by the end of the year. I CAN'T WAIT!! lol 

The issues: 1) I have to leave "Hi-Res Output (Experimental)" DISABLED b/c it CONSTANTLY causes errors/crashes when left on 2) A minor thing, but when you switch albums, sometimes the first or second song on the new album will display the cover art from the LAST album you played. You can fix this by long-pressing the screen then choosing the right cover, but it's still a nuisance. 3) The kinda BIG bug for me is although you can save your Settings (export settings) to a file, Alpha 704 won't let you IMPORT it in, regardless of if the file was created IN Alpha 704 or regular/official Poweramp. It gives you an error msg. 

I REALLY hope all these issues are addressed in the final official release of Version 3. 

Please forward these concerns to Alex too if you would be so kind. 

Thank you! 

On 3/22/2017 at 1:12 AM, woper map said:

Any chance of a small preview? Some screen shots or animation Gifs. Most people on the forum are positive and have waited patiently for the next release.

You can get the apk for alpha testing

:angry: Poweramp v3 no skin future available. Next bulid white skin only android 5+. No android 4.1+, my android KitKat 4.4.2. i uninstalling Poweramp alpha like other player best skin available. Poweramp v2 skin available but no v3 sound system. pls request my account delete. Ok byee. " -: posted my friend.

On 2017-6-4 at 0:11 PM, Notaries said:

You can get the apk for alpha testing

Where exactly? It hasn't been released on here, the latest download available is still "Poweramp-alpha-build-703" form April 2016.

On 2017-6-4 at 3:02 PM, piyush patel said:

:angry: Poweramp v3 no skin future available. Next bulid white skin only android 5+. No android 4.1+, my android KitKat 4.4.2. i uninstalling Poweramp alpha like other player best skin available. Poweramp v2 skin available but no v3 sound system. pls request my account delete. Ok byee. " -: posted my friend.

Use a custom ROM if you still run Android 5 or older. Security vulnerabilities should be of bigger concern to you than some music player anyway with an old OS like that.

On 2017-5-31 at 6:50 PM, clever_man said:

And one more screenshot of new version Poweramp from 4pda:

3ZJK3py4D6_thumb.jpg

Honestly tho, this looks way out of date if it's the default player interface. My only hope is that we can customize it and make it look cleaner etc.
Thumbs up / down really seems ridiculous unless this is a radio station / podcast interface and the seek bar looks awfully busy too, a simple line would suffice.
And please, please don't put stuff over my album art, those white boxes for title and artist should go below the cover where the seek bar currently wastes tons of space.

Personally I don't know why hes faffing about with the interface (which sound's like what is being worked on for most of the last 18 months).  It is clearly a case of trying to fix something that obviously isn't broken and everyone knows what that results in almost every time!!  Everyone knows Poweramp has just about the best interface of these music player apps, what it needs is not messing about with the interface, it's more sound output work to get it up to the level of Neutron, which ironically really REALLY needs a new interface.

When I play stuff on my phone, I do not sit there staring lovingly at the screen for hours on end like a zombie, 95% of the time the screen is off and my phone is either on the desk or in my pocket.  Since the interface is already very good, what I am interested in is anything that can improve the sound even further, which will help 100% of the time that I am using the app, I am not interested in messing with the interface which firstly will probably make it worse, and secondly even if it's the best new interface the world has ever seen, it will only affect me 5% of the time because the rest of the time the screen will be off anyway!

I had a look at some of the eq plugins and they look really good.....but i turned them all back off again after a few mins because 1: they cant be good for battery life and 2: the phone screen is usually going to be off anyway.

Seriously if Max is spending all this time focusing on the interface then hes spending his time in completely the wrong place!

On 5/31/2017 at 9:50 AM, clever_man said:

And one more screenshot of new version Poweramp from 4pda:

3ZJK3py4D6_thumb.jpg

I honestly do not believe this.

If you remember getting v3 from v2, you would have noticed two things:

1. The UI layout was completely changed

2. Some buttons had the material design circle effect.

Because of this, I believe the current layout for the alpha will be the same as the beta. This screenshot may be fake, or it is of a different app (hence the lack of Poweramp icon in status bar and radio app thumbs up and down buttons.

Stop giving etas saying end of this month beginning of the other ...it has-been done for the last 18 months ...from the time that v3 took... it looks that Max can't do it on his own ...we should be on v5 by now with audiocast and video playback ..but no real update has been done since years ...honestly I heard about v3 two years ago ....it has been set to be released every month ...but hasn't been.

12 minutes ago, atrako said:

we should be on v5 by now with audiocast and video playback

For what? It's musical player, not a swiss-army app with additional ability to make coffe or another stupid things. If Iyou are dissatisfied with something, you can do your own app with blackjack and other stuffs and updating it every day.

18 hours ago, ewokuk said:

Personally I don't know why hes faffing about with the interface (which sound's like what is being worked on for most of the last 18 months).

That is exactly what he's been working on for the last 16+ months. And the reason is that is what the userbase voted for (by a pretty substantial majority, see http://forum.powerampapp.com/index.php?/topic/8534-next-builds-priorities/ ). And they are about to get what they wanted - even though it took an extensive ground-up rebuild to do it.

My own views align more with yours to be honest, but more people wanted a snazzy new look rather than solid operational features under the gloss. I would have preferred incremental changes to certain aspects (such as properly tabbing the library screens, improving the transition between player and library, more logical access to settings, etc). Otherwise, for my way of working, even the v2 interface looks and works just fine.

Andre

Oh well if that's what they voted for.  Style over substance.

If that screenshot really is the new interface, my god whats he been doing for all that time, its hideous!  I really like the current 704 interface and it's the only thing that is making this a toss up between Neutron and Poweramp because I think Neutron probably has the best sound (consistently rated the best among audiophiles as far as I can tell) and certainly has more advanced sound options, if it had a half decent interface to go with it then it would be no contest.  If the Poweramp interface goes backwards from what we have in 704 then it will be no contest.  That's whats irritating me at the moment, I want either a decent interface for Neutron, or better sound from Poweramp, and it sounds like I'm not going to get either :angry:

47 minutes ago, ewokuk said:

Oh well if that's what they voted for.  Style over substance.

If that screenshot really is the new interface, my god whats he been doing for all that time, its hideous!  I really like the current 704 interface and it's the only thing that is making this a toss up between Neutron and Poweramp because I think Neutron probably has the best sound (consistently rated the best among audiophiles as far as I can tell) and certainly has more advanced sound options, if it had a half decent interface to go with it then it would be no contest.  If the Poweramp interface goes backwards from what we have in 704 then it will be no contest.  That's whats irritating me at the moment, I want either a decent interface for Neutron, or better sound from Poweramp, and it sounds like I'm not going to get either :angry:

In term of Sound Quality, Neutron maybe ONE OF the best. It definitely beat the JetAudio. But, the thing is, Poweramp is THE best.

I don't care about the user interface much at all.  I just want a music player that will use the ESS Sabre DAC on my LG V20 to it's potential and NO player does.  I was told that this player soon would.  It seems that is not to be.

1 hour ago, mlknez said:

I don't care about the user interface much at all.  I just want a music player that will use the ESS Sabre DAC on my LG V20 to it's potential and NO player does.  I was told that this player soon would.  It seems that is not to be.

Not necessarily, it might be soon, as long as you class "soon" as some time within the next 15 years :P

Archived