Danm it! my first mail was answered in lest than an hour ... but only to say those 4 or 5 posible causes... after that I got not a sigle word! It doesnt matter if it cost 1 single buck or a couple of 100s they are not given us that for free!
I searched all over the net not finding any solution, I just send a bug report about the issue but I guess they have tons of reports for this bug. What botters me is the fact that I payed for the app and used for a coouple of days before it crashes. As some of you goys I did try everithing from the "known" solutions provided by Poweramp to do a factory reset.... wasted my time cause none of that solved the problem! Hope we get a solution ASAP!