Build 702 ignores Resume On Bluetooth setting

I reported this via the bug form, but repeating here as per instructions.

Poweramp3 alpha 702

Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge

Android 6.0.1 stock

Build 702 does not seem to respect the Resume On Bluetooth setting anymore, it unconditionally resumes when Bluetooth connects.  I've toggled the Resume On Bluetooth setting on and off, but no difference.  With it unchecked Poweramp still always resumes as soon as Bluetooth connects.

It wouldn't be so bad except that I also use Madsonic, which doesn't have any options to control resume.  When I was using Poweramp2, with Resume On Bluetooth unchecked, each app seemed to only resume if it was the last thing playing when bluetooth disconnected.  So it worked beautifully most of the time.  Now Poweramp always grabs the playback even if Madsonic was the last thing playing when Bluetooth disconnected and Poweramp's Resume On Bluetooth is unchecked.

I hope this can be fixed because I primarily use Bluetooth in the car and it's a pain to have to fumble around with the phone to get the right app playing while driving.

BTW - this was first reported in the v3 testing forum: Resume on bluetooth

What is your BT device? Poweramp (702) actually properly resumes/doesn't resume as this option says. That was tested on many devices/ROMs with various BT devices. 

Some BT devices send PLAY command after connection. This is unrelated by Poweramp resuming option and it looks to Poweramp exactly like user pressed PLAY button on device (Poweramp will even beep, but this beep can be lost during BT connection settling).

And if the output device sends a 'Play/Pause' command (rather than just Play) that would cause Poweramp to pause if it is already playing.

Max: I get these sort of BT issues in various forms quite often, is there anything I can use to snoop on the bluetooth command sequence to send you any debug info? Would a catlog be sufficient?

Andre

I want to improve on various use cases, but I need a bit more statistics - e.g. the BT devices used/scenario where unwanted behavior happens. As for that unwanted PLAY after BT connection, I will add 1-2s period when commands are ignored after connection (same approach as for USB DACs connection). So this should be improved in build-703.

Sorry for the late response. I'm following the thread but not getting email notifications for some reason, so I didn't realize there was activity.  I'll look at my settings later.

Anyway, my Infiniti Q50 car stereo is the Bluetooth device I'm experiencing this on.  However, it never used to be an issue.

I used to have an LG G3 with Poweramp2 and never had this problem once I unchecked Resume on Bluetooth in Poweramp..  If Madsonic was the last thing playing when I turned the car off then Madsonic would resume when I started the car again.  And vice versa if Poweramp was the last thing playing.  Every once in a while they'd get mixed up, but in general it worked.

I just upgraded to the Samsung S7 Edge a couple weeks ago and also upgraded to Poweramp3 at same time after reading about the volume issues on the S7 Edge with Poweramp2.  So I guess it could be the phone and not Poweramp.  But either way, Poweramp always resumes now, no matter what.  Even in the following conditions:

• Poweramp's Resume on Bluetooth is unchecked
  • Poweramp was not playing when Bluetooth disconnected
  • Poweramp was not visible in the notification bar when Bluetooth disconnected or before it reconnected
  • Madsonic was playing when Bluetooth disconnected
  • Madsoinc was still visible with playback paused in the notification bar when Bluetooth was reconnected

In that scenario, is it expected behavior that Poweramp would start playback when Bluetooth reconnects?  Maybe I was just lucky before and it only coincidentally seemed to be working.  But I assumed from the behavior I was seeing that the apps were keeping track of whether or not they were playing when Bluetooth last disconnected and only resuming if they were.  Which would seem a reasonable approach, but I guess that's not how it really works.

In general, how is it decided which app should resume playback on bluetooth connect?  Does the OS decide this or is it up to each app to figure it out somehow?

I really doubt this issue is ROM dependent (although bluetooth stacks have changed a bit over time, which might be a contributing factor). I suspect it's much more to do with the initial handshaking with the external device and what commands are being sent, and when.

Andre

So now after all those posts it actually started working today.  After a full week of Poweramp refusing to give up the bluetooth, suddenly today I get in and out of the car several times with Madsonic pausing/resuming as expected and no sign of Poweramp.  So now I don't know what to think.  I suspect it would start happening again if I played Poweramp for a bit and then switched back to Madsonic.  I'll try it later and post results, but I think I'll just enjoy it working for a little bit first. :)

If there are any other tests I could perform or logs I could provide please let me know.

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I'd mention that this seems to be working well now.  When I've been playing Madsonic it pauses/resumes correctly and vice versa when I've been playing Poweramp.  Whichever one I was playing in the car when bluetooth disconnects is the one that resumes when it reconnects.  Still not sure why it suddenly seemed to start working even before the 703 update, but whatever the case it seems to work reliably now.

Archived