Poweramp doesn't resume playback after bluetooth phonecall terminates

Tristan Young

Just noticed another bluetooth issue.  I need to perform further testing.

Poweramp was playing, then called my wife hands-free.  After the phone call, the player didn't resume.  I was able to resume playback safely once I arrived at a stop light.

I consider this a safety issue, since the driver shouldn't have to deal with resuming.

Will re-test and verify.

Confirmed...  Playback will not auto-resume after phonecall terminates.  Tested only with bluetooth.

Steps to repeat:

1. Connect via bluetooth to hands-free audio device, such as a car radio.

2. Start playing an MP3.

3. Place a phonecall.

4. End phonecall.

5. Wait and see if Poweramp resumes playback.

Tested with Poweramp alpha 700.

This worked properly in the most recent Poweramp v2.x.

I've tested and can confirm I see the same on my setup. Bluetooth playback resume after a phone call is very patchy. Very occasionally it works, but not often. I also have the lowered volume issue if I manually restart playback. The Bluetooth level has not been changed within the Volume menu, it still shows maximum, and if I tap once on the volume button the output jumps straight back up to the correct level. So it just appears to have been overridden by the phone call level and not restored afterwards.

I've also noticed that if I manually restart playback, it can take a while before Bluetooth control messages are recognised again. Using the car stereo's pause or track-change features can take up to a minute or so before they register, having apparently been queued up and then actioned all at once.

Andre

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

mine has a different issue, (car bluetooth) 

after turning on car (headunit auto connects to phone)

then phone will say connected, but headunit will say NO UNIT but with signal (meaning i can receive and make calls)

music will not autoplay like it used to,

but after i make or receive call, music will resume.

Hi, happy to see that I'm not the only one with this issue with my OG moto X and the Sony MW600.

But my one looks a bit different. When I finish the call, I'm not able to start or answer to another call, change a song or album on Poweramp... anything... even if I want to switch to Play music, I got no sound at all. Or my phone just freeze.

The one way to get everything back to normal is to restart the phone  <_< 

Yes, there's definitely something very odd about the bluetooth connect/disconnect activity in this alpha. I tested with another car stereo and found the same results as before (track counter zeros on disconnect, and phone calls pause but don't resume playback, and BT commands stop responding for a long time after a focus change). On the plus side, track info displayed perfectly on the head-unit, and it changed even with the phone screen off (which used to an issue).

Andre

• 1 month later...

Just done some testing on build 702.

• Playback position is remembered correctly for all bluetooth disconnects, following phone calls, after Poweramp exits, etc.
  • Volume ducking on notifications (e.g. for sat nav instructions) works perfectly too, very nice!
  • Resume playback on bluetooth audio connection almost works. When the car headunit first connects in stereo audio mode, Poweramp immediately starts playing through the car speakers (which is good) but it goes straight back into pause about a second later. I wonder if PA is starting playback on its own, and then the headunit is perhaps sending out a Play/Pause command of its own, which is causing PA to stop again? (I hate combined play/pause commands and buttons - much better to have a discrete Play and a separate discrete Pause, no possibility for confusion or debounce issues that way)
  • If I receive an incoming call which I later hang up using the car's handsfree control, PA playback pauses correctly when the call starts, and later resumes correctly immediately upon hangup.
  • If I hangup a call using the phone screen buttons, Poweramp resumes playback correctly too.
  • If I trigger an outgoing call using the car's handsfree control, PA pauses correctly as soon as the call process starts, but it does not resume after the call is terminated using the car controls. Note: the headunit display returns to its normal audio display much quicker than the phone returns from the phonecall display and back to the PA screen, perhaps a 2-3 second difference.
  • Results of the hangup-call/audio-resume tests seem a bit variable, most of the time it works as noted above, but sometimes it seems to resume correctly. I'll try some more tests later to see if I can find a pattern.
  • [Updated] Nope, no discernible or repeatable pattern, sometimes resume playback on reconnection works and sometimes (more often than not) it doesn't. I've also noticed that on occasions when bluetooth is connected and I start Poweramp playback manually via the phone screen, any bluetooth commands from the head-unit (such as pressing the hands-free pause or track fwd/back controls) are ignored by PA for up to 60 seconds or more, after which time they suddenly all get executed one after the other, so commands appear to be getting queued somewhere.

Hope some of this helps, if anyone else can add similar tests results it might help Max narrow this issue down. Let me know if I can provide any logs to help resolve this.

Andre

• 2 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, moutchou said:

Small follow up of this item: on my device the Poweramp is launched again after the phone call... But it restarts the music from the beginning !!

Which build are you using, as that was an issue with build 700 but it seems to be cured in 702 for everyone else.

Andre

Archived