Playlists

Something as simple as Notepad will do it, or any other text editor, if you don't mind a bit of cut'n'pasting or typing. The most basic format of an M3U playlist file is just a list of filenames with optional paths.

If you export a playlist from another program (such as Media Player) then it will work, but you need to be careful of hard-coded paths (such as "C:\Users\<name>\Music\") which won't exist on your phone, so you'll need to edit them to make the paths relative to your phone's directory structure.

Andre

or follow this step by step guide:

• copy the music from your pc but ensure you maintain the exact folder structure. For instance, if you have your music in C:\music\any other folder then copy the "music\any other folder" to your sdcard.

Important point here is that the folder structure does not change.

example:
#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:0,1 - Black Sabbath.mp3
F:\My Music\Black Sabbath\1970 - Black Sabbath\1 - Black Sabbath.mp3

• Now use notepad or wordpad (do not use Word) and open the (converted mediaplayer) m3u that you want to use.
  • You will see that the full path (the fully qualified path) is used for each song (see example above). Leave open and go to your mobile
  • Next, find out on your new mobile where the music is located. I found that this may vary eg /mnt/sdcard/music or something else. Assume the mobile path is /mnt/sdard/ and your m3u songs show c:\music\Beyonce\somesong.mp3
  • just use the replace function and replace c:\ with /mnt/sdcard/ (note the forward / 's)

#EXTM3U
/mnt/sdcard/My Music\Black Sabbath\1970 - Black Sabbath\1 - Black Sabbath.mp3

• then replace all other \ with /  (this converts it from Windows to Unix format)

#EXTM3U
/mnt/sdcard/My Music/Black Sabbath/1970 - Black Sabbath/1 - Black Sabbath.mp3

• Save and copy to a folder on your mobile 
  • Finally,  set up Poweramp to scan this folder and it will use these playlists.

Job done

It will work with just the filenames, and no other #EXTINF etc lines in the M3U file, by the way. You can also use relative paths if you like (which are based from the same location where you store the playlist file) but absolute paths are fine too as long as they are edited as above. It may sound complicated, but it's really just a couple of Search & Replaces.

Andre

Certainly seems like a tremendous amount of work for a simple process that every other mp3 player can do except for Poweramp.

Don't get me wrong, I love Poweramp and have been a paid subscriber for a long time, but this is a major issue for a lot of users; which never gets addressed directly. It's always a workaround. 

Furthermore, everyone that has ever replied to me about this goes back to the "folder structure" assumption. I don't use folders for artists, genres, albums, nor anything else.

It would be vastly more simple and efficient to just create the player so that it accepts/recognizes playlists like most mp3 players, with a simple drag/drop.

90+% of users are unable technically to execute your "workaround."  With a paid $10 app, one shouldn't have to go through such work every time they want a playlist on their phone.

With a paid $10 app, one shouldn't have to go through such work every time they want a playlist on their phone.

Dang..... I must have gotten a deal...... I only paid $4 and didnt have any problems once I figured out which playlist file types worked.

You just have to copy the .m3u playlist files into the Playlist Folder on the device and be sure you have Poweramp set to scan that folder when importing.

I am very happy with it.......... thanks Guys and keep up the good work.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You can use a USB cable, connect your phone to the PC. Once connected, on the phone you will need to tell Android that the connection is allowed to do file transfer. My phone is not recognized by my PC so I use an app called AirDroid which then allows me to transfer files either to or from my PC through a web browser.