PowerAmp & Possibilities Of Google Music (hypothetical question)

Was going to go on a rant on why you guys don't support steaming from Google Music since surely they have an API

Then after a quick Google search it seems... there is no API support :|

Thus this request is moreso on the burden of Google for not doing API support that would allow for easier access to their service which is great but, their music app seriously seriously sucks balls for Android... which I can kinda blame you guys for spoiling me :P

But this leads to my main question, if/when Google decides to do API for Google Music, you guys think it'd be possible to fit that in PowerMP as far as the GMusic library accessible for playback?

• 4 weeks later...

I had just emailed re: the same; your research was better than mine. This is an unfortunate thing since over half my collection now is online only at Gmusic. Increasingly, it makes P-amp obsolete. There is no point switching back and forth between apps wondering where things are. That's highly regrettable as I'd much rather use P-amp. I'm surprised G-music doesn't support access. Usually they are pretty good about such things. Right now, I'm using Google Tasks Organizer which simply acts as a 3rd party interace to Google tasks. People have calendar apps using G-calendar and sync to it; and voice activation apps that use google voice recognition on android. It wouldn't seem like such a big deal. But the inability to be allowed to support streaming greatly interferes with the usefulness of P-amp now. The truth is that g-music provides amazing storage capabilities. It's hard to ignore. I greatly prefer P-amp as a player, but I can't give up over half my collection to use it.

Yea monsieurms I can definitely understand where you coming from on that using Google Music half the time myself. My huge hangup is the fact that Google's own music player doesn't seem as easily integrated within Android as Poweramp's own solution. A very huge hangup with Google Music not even talking to my bluetooth remote (a HUGE inconvenience for when I drive) nor any lockscreen flexibility. The quality of Poweramp is great at making their music player great enough where listening to music is more of a convenient experience that have me wish I had a 64GB memory card. Whereas Google Music is more of a "hey, your music is here... what more do you want?".

The dilemma I'm caught in with the two is the quality of PAmp as a player vs the quantity of music available from Google Music (and to a lesser extent, Spotify). Just feel like something have to give & Google recognizes their own impotence with the comparatively basic functionality of their music player. Damn PAmp spoiled me lol.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think GMusic is a bad app per se--it's just that P-amp is far better.

--It handles Playlists better

--It has an equalizer

--I can edit song metadata on the device

--I like its look and feel better.

Still, as things continue to progress, about 65% of my stuff is now online. I use GM more and more by necessity, P-amp less and less. That's sure not my preference.

I still do not know if GM will ever allow 3rd party integration, but if so, someone could sure do a better job than GM is doing of integrating offline and online music.That's my biggest gripe with GM. It doesn't even show album covers of purchased MP3s purchased from someplace other than GM (and I find Amazon is usually cheaper...!)

--There should be some clear indicator (color coding? a little icon?) indicating when music is online only (I don't like to "hide unavailable..." or have to keep toggling)

--There should be some way to integrate playlists. If I create a list with both online and offline music, and I'm not online, it should still function for what's available. As it is, however, if you use GM to add a song to an offline playlist, it basically then shows you only the online music forever more until you manually recopy the old the playlist to your SD card.

I suspect one day this gets resolved. It would be nice to hear from the developers here. Re: the email I mentioned sending several weeks ago--no response whatsoever. Support here is never great.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived