Playlists dissappear?!

Hi, 

I formated my smartphone and now i installed Poweramp, gave him the location for my music folder (external memory card) and it found all the files successfully but it doesn't import the playlist i had. They are also on the external memory. I already tried to move the folder to the music and to the internal memory but without success. 

(HTC 10, Android 7.0)

Thanks 

Best regards

Make sure the playlist files (probably .M3U files) are in a folder that Poweramp is set to scan (check via Settings > Folders and Library > Music Folders) and if so you should at least see the playlist names in the PA library, if not the contents. If you've changed the directory naming structure of the SD Card too (most likely if this is a new device) you may need to check to see if the playlist files are using absolute paths for each song, and if so do a simple global search-and-replace in a text editor to adjust them to refer to the new folder structure. 

Andre

45 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

Make sure the playlist files (probably .M3U files) are in a folder that Poweramp is set to scan (check via Settings > Folders and Library > Music Folders) and if so you should at least see the playlist names in the PA library, if not the contents. If you've changed the directory naming structure of the SD Card too (most likely if this is a new device) you may need to check to see if the playlist files are using absolute paths for each song, and if so do a simple global search-and-replace in a text editor to adjust them to refer to the new folder structure. 

Andre

Hi, 

I just made a factory reset and did not changed anything in SD card. 

I went now to the playlist app, opened each file with an text editor and it's blank :(

So to be clear, these are M3U playlist files that you are referring to, and the files themselves are empty when you try to open them in a standard text editor from a file explorer app? Poweramp cannot delete contents of external playlist files, so something odd is going on there.

Are the playlist files now zero bytes in size? If they are any larger, could you upload one here for us to have a look at what's left?

Andre

1 hour ago, andrewilley said:

So to be clear, these are M3U playlist files that you are referring to, and the files themselves are empty when you try to open them in a standard text editor from a file explorer app? Poweramp cannot delete contents of external playlist files, so something odd is going on there.

Are the playlist files now zero bytes in size? If they are any larger, could you upload one here for us to have a look at what's left?

Andre

It says 0 bytes. Well, I have to do it again from scratch. 

Thanks 

Best regards 

Something has zapped your playlist files then, I can't think what that might be. It won't have been Poweramp, as PA does not have any code for modifying external playlist files, only internal ones. It can export its internally-created playlists to files, but that's as far as it goes. How did you create the M3U files in the first place?

Andre

6 hours ago, andrewilley said:

Something has zapped your playlist files then, I can't think what that might be. It won't have been Poweramp, as PA does not have any code for modifying external playlist files, only internal ones. It can export its internally-created playlists to files, but that's as far as it goes. How did you create the M3U files in the first place?

Andre

I created the playlists song by song in Poweramp. Before i made the factory reset, I went to Settings > Folders and Library > Export Poweramp Playlists which created the m3u8 files.

6 hours ago, TheoKlink said:

Reading this thread, i suspect the playlists were probably either android or Poweramp playlists. Xik029 does not confirm anywhere that they are m3u format and the fact they are empty is consistent with the scenario described.

Of course, since i never said anything about having imported the playlists from a pc or something else, and if i didn't, the probability of not being m3u was very little, so it's obvious about the type. 

4 hours ago, XIKO29 said:

the probability of not being m3u was very little, so it's obvious about the type. 

Given that you were talking about playlist files, on external memory, and finding them being zero bytes, then you were by that point obviously talking about external file-based playlists not internal ones.

.M3U and .M3U8 files are the same thing, just one version supports full UTF-8 character set (for special/foreign characters) and the other is plain ASCII text, but otherwise they are identical in layout.

It sounds like when you tried to export your old internal playlists to backup files, for some reason they were not created correctly. I can't see any other reason for the files being zero bytes. Did you happen to check them when you created/copied them, were the contents present then? (the basic format is very simple, just a text list of paths & filenames)

Andre

Archived