Poweramp losing all lists of most liked songs and most played songs for no reason...

Hello,

I like very much Poweramp, but I think I will have to change it to another player (despite the high price I payed for your app)... 2 weeks ago I updated my phone to Android 6.0 and Poweramp lost everything from artcovers modified from Poweramp to song ratings, most played, etc...

I thought that it was not a bug from the app since my OS had a major update... So I took 2 or 3 hours to give rates to my 1800 songs (it's essential for me), everything was fine....

But today I changed the SIM of my phone (the phone was off) and as the microSD is on the same tray as the SIM card, the microSD went off the phone, but I haven't done anything to the microSD, all the song were  the same at the same place, etc... but when I switch on phone again, everything was gone, Poweramp had to rescan everything and all my ratings and most played songs had disapeared.... Hours of puting back ratings on my songs, GONE.... :(

Please do something, loosing such data is terrible !!!!!!

Thanks and Merry Christmas.

App version : "alpha-build-703-play"

Phone : Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro

Android version : 6.0.1 ; MIUI version : MIUI Global 8.1 Stable 8.1.1.0

This is a well known and often discussed topic on this forum. In response to this I have added functionality to my New Playlist Manager app to allow you to backup and restore your Poweramp ratings and Times Played. In addition you can write your ratings to the tag of the track itself so you need never lose your ratings again.

As TheoKlink has said, you are not the first person to experience this issue.

Poweramp stores all of its internally generated information (internal playlists, ratings, play history, etc) in a database which refers to the exact location of each music file on your device. When you did the upgrade to 6.0, Android (for reasons only known to Google) changed the path of your SD Card, so Poweramp's scanner noticed that all of the files it had been working with had vanished - i.e. been deleted as far as it could tell - and thus removed all reference to them from the database. It then found a whole 'new' set of music files in a new location, and duly added them to the database as new music. Unfortunately, as these were considered new files, they were not included in any playlists/etc that were previously in use.

Unfortunately, once this had happened, unless you have already created a backup of the app's data using something like Titanium Backup, or used TheoKlink's excellent app to save information in physical files not just in a transient database, then there is sadly no way to recover the old information.

Andre

On 26/12/2016 at 10:36 AM, andrewilley said:

As TheoKlink has said, you are not the first person to experience this issue.

Poweramp stores all of its internally generated information (internal playlists, ratings, play history, etc) in a database which refers to the exact location of each music file on your device. When you did the upgrade to 6.0, Android (for reasons only known to Google) changed the path of your SD Card, so Poweramp's scanner noticed that all of the files it had been working with had vanished - i.e. been deleted as far as it could tell - and thus removed all reference to them from the database. It then found a whole 'new' set of music files in a new location, and duly added them to the database as new music. Unfortunately, as these were considered new files, they were not included in any playlists/etc that were previously in use.

Unfortunately, once this had happened, unless you have already created a backup of the app's data using something like Titanium Backup, or used TheoKlink's excellent app to save information in physical files not just in a transient database, then there is sadly no way to recover the old information.

Andre

Thanks for your answer and the explanation.

But now, I found that the issue is not about the SD card or the update from Android 5.1.1 ; now at every reboot of the phone, all the data and the song in Poweramp are lost, no more ratings, no more "most played", no more "recently played", etc...

The problem seems to come from Poweramp as with N7Player which I installed now, when I reboot my phone, the list of the recently/most played songs isn't deleted like in Poweramp...

Now I will try to reinstall Poweramp, maybe it could help to fix this issue...

Edit : It seems that reinstalling the app solved the problem, now even when I reboot my phone, the songs doesn't disapears and the lists in Poweramp stay in place....

I'm guessing there were still some remnants of the old directory structure being remembered for some reason? Glad a reinstall worked. TheoKlink's app is a good way to back things up in the meantime though, until our own dev finally gets around to supporting writing this sort of data directly to the music files (which is unfortunately not too high up on the priority list at the moment, as he is working on trying to get v3 of Poweramp ready for final testing and release).

Andre

12 hours ago, andrewilley said:

I'm guessing there were still some remnants of the old directory structure being remembered for some reason? Glad a reinstall worked. TheoKlink's app is a good way to back things up in the meantime though, until our own dev finally gets around to supporting writing this sort of data directly to the music files (which is unfortunately not too high up on the priority list at the moment, as he is working on trying to get v3 of Poweramp ready for final testing and release).

Andre

Okay, I see. Good luck to your dev!

1 hour ago, jtx said:

This is another thread in need of typo corrections to the title:

loosing > losing 

list > lists

:)

Sorry for that, my native language isn't english... 

• 5 months later...
On 29/12/2016 at 11:25 AM, andrewilley said:

Andre

Any news on this?

I bought a new phone, but like before, re-rating all my songs/recreating the most played lists on Poweramp is still the most painfull part of the whole process, that's terrible, I would understand if your app was free, but I paid nearly 5 Euros, one of my most expensive app ever, for that price I'm waiting to see here some basic functions.... :( 

As TheoKlink said earlier in the thread, his app could have done all that for you. Otherwise, when you reinstall, you are starting a fresh Poweramp setup.

As for it happening natively in Poweramp, we're still waiting on the new user interface to get to beta release, and then get a full release, before any feature requests might even be looked into (and I don't know how high a priority this one will get even then).

Andre

• 4 weeks later...

Poweramp stores all of its internally generated information (internal playlists, ratings, play history, etc) in a database which refers to the exact location of each music file on your device. 

As you may have recognized, many users are disliking your playlist/top-rated-songs handling. Why it's not possible (as an option), to store e.g. the rating of songs inside of the songs?

If you prefer storing this data in the database, why you chose the fixed location to identify the song, and not for example a hash-tag?

I'm in a need to change the phone. I've got about 800 top rated songs and its not gonna be no pleasure to re-tag the same songs again... as I already did a dozen of times.

still didn't find the App of TheoKlink.

regards,

mo

8 hours ago, mortan303 said:

still didn't find the App of TheoKlink.

Theo's New Playlist Manager app is hidden on the Play Store, https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.flyingdutchman.newplaylistmanager under the searchable title "New Playlist Manager". )

Ratings and (to some extent) play-counts can be stored within SOME music file types (and Theo's app supports this) but the PA dev's reasoning is that because some formats don't support it, it would not be possible to use solely file-saved data in that way. Personally, I would love it if PA used its own database for fast access, but also wrote the same data back into the audio files if possible (and read it back again during a Rescan). However this sort of feature addition does not seem to be regarded as a priority against other development needs.

Andre

13 hours ago, TheoKlink said:

If you are looking gor my app, details in my signature

Theo's New Playlist Manager app is hidden on the Play Store, https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.flyingdutchman.newplaylistmanager under the searchable title "New Playlist Manager". )

Thank you both for your answers.

Yes, I've found the App of Theoklink and installed it. I don't want to criticize the app yet, as long as I can't  safely say, that it's not my handling, which leads to some problems. The software often stops responding and is closed by Android. Nevertheless, I guess, that creating some non-Poweramp-playlists already made me something much more easy. Am going to try a little further. :)

kind regards, mortan

Archived