Is Poweramp Discontinued?

Chubby Doughnut

There is a new version v3 in testing at the moment. The audio engine is already basically complete and an alpha-test is available for testing (from the Downloads tab at the of the page) Current work on an updated user interface, which will hopefully be ready for testing sometime in January.

Andre

On 24/12/2016 at 4:27 AM, andrewilley said:

There is a new version v3 in testing at the moment. The audio engine is already basically complete and an alpha-test is available for testing (from the Downloads tab at the of the page) Current work on an updated user interface, which will hopefully be ready for testing sometime in January.

Andre

Hasn't it been something like 8 months since Alpha 703? I can't even use Poweramp anymore since it can't recognize my new phone's main DAC. There's plenty of people in the request thread, I would have thought there'd be an update to at least add DAC recognition so people can at least use the app.

I'm curious, why has it been so long since the last update? I'm pretty eagerly awaiting the DAC support to be updated, as my phone's stock music app (the only thing I know for sure can use it's DAC) is pretty abysmal.

3 hours ago, Neo Cyrus said:

Hasn't it been something like 8 months since Alpha 703? I can't even use Poweramp anymore since it can't recognize my new phone's main DAC.

This is only an alpha-test release for Poweramp v3. If it's not working for you, please revert back to the release build. This app only has one software developer, so something that takes one man-year to write will unfortunately take a year to complete.

Andre

9 hours ago, andrewilley said:

This is only an alpha-test release for Poweramp v3. If it's not working for you, please revert back to the release build. This app only has one software developer, so something that takes one man-year to write will unfortunately take a year to complete.

Andre

Unfortunately V2 doesn't work either and would use a different DAC as well. Either way thank you for your response, the fact that only one person is working on it explains a bit. I guess I'll just have to wait it out, there's already been plenty of requests for support of the DAC on my phone model (Axon 7) so I'm hoping the next update supports it.

6 hours ago, Neo Cyrus said:

Unfortunately V2 doesn't work either and would use a different DAC as well. 

Do you mean it doesn't work at all (which would be worrying) or that it works fine but doesn't an additional support high-rez output mode (which would be as expected)?

Andre

Just now, andrewilley said:

Do you mean it doesn't work at all (which would be worrying) or that it works fine but doesn't an additional support high-rez output mode (which would be as expected)?

Andre

It does work, I meant it doesn't work with the Axon 7's main DAC, it outputs sound using the wrong DAC. Hi-res output works by using the Snapdragon 820's built-in 24 bit DAC, which unfortunately sounds like rubbish compared to the phone's main DAC. It wouldn't bother me if it weren't a clear difference in sound even with mid tier headphones. As far as I know the stock music app on the Axon 7 actually truncates 24 bit sound to 16 bit (maybe this is even on a firmware level, no one who knows would answer me), and even despite that the AK4490EN DAC sounds noticeably better, all the way from lows to highs.

Archived