Bookmarks

GaryMO

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm curious about this, too. I was kind of hoping PlayerPro had a bookmark feature cooking for their 2.0 release but they didn't.

I know this feature was suggested a while ago here, and it was said that there was a possibility of having it as an optional plugin -- any updates? (Sorry, I'm impatient but I don't mean to sound pushy :) It just sucks using two different players with two different widgets on my lockscreen.)

If you would, please give us an update on this. Several folks were asking for this capability a while ago. You seem to get back very promptly with other questions from users. BTW, I am a paid user. Thanks.

I found bookmarks really helpfull in other audio players when listening to podcasts and audiobooks.

So please give us this feature!!!

Also the another feature that would be nice to have, the player distinguishs between music and podcasts/audiobooks, using track time, then it dosn't play them when you shuffle all tracks.

Please give use this aswell!!!

Thanks

This is something I would like to see also: to be able to bookmark the particular song (and position in that song) in a given playlist. In this way, when I move over to another playlist, I can come back to the original playlist and resume listening where I left off. I would like this feature because my playlists tend to be audio courses. Sometimes, I listen to several audio courses (each in a separate playlist) at a time, so I would like to be able to resume each course where it left off, and not have to restart it each time.

One suggestion for implementing this is the following. In the list of playlists, when you select a playlist by touching it and holding it down 2-3 seconds, you presently get a menu with: Enqueue, Play All, Shuffle, Delete, Add to PL, Rename, and Del Dup. Simply add another button titled "Resume".

• 2 weeks later...

This is an often-requested feature (see this current thread and also (1), (2), (3), (4), (5) for other requests). I understand that you intend for Poweramp to be a music player, but what a developer intends something to be used for and what people actually use it for are sometimes two different things (take, for example, the Nook Color, which was intended to be used as an ebook reader but people have modified to act as a cheap Android tablet).

Please reconsider this feature request. I'm not a developer, but it doesn't seem like such an overhaul to add something simple like a timestamp to a database for files in folders named "Podcasts," "Audiobooks," or even "Mixtapes," checking that database when switching files, and seeking to that spot in the file if anything is in the database. Certainly it doesn't seem like it would take as much time as I'm sure getting gapless playback to work properly did (it took Apple years to implement gapless on iPods). The Poweramp trial overall gives me a good impression, but the lack of bookmarking support is a deal killer for me.

Save your breath. He chooses to not respond to this request, for whatever reason. I guess if he gets the urge to make this simple feature available for folks like us that listen to long audio files, it will be there on one of the future updates. If anyone has come across another player (free or paid) that does a good job of bookmarking, please post it on this thread.

This feature is useful for audio book players and not appropriate for music player like Poweramp, but I'll be looking into adding it as option.

Thanks!

I disagree, it's an important feature when listening to music through playlists and when alternating playlists - if we include the playlist position in the definition of a bookmark. For example, I listen do different genres/artists in the morning on the way to work and in the afternoon on my way back. Playlists are longer than my commute time and I manually delete from the playlist the songs I already listened to. This way, after listening to another playlist I can return to the previous one next time.

The irony is that Poweramp already has bookmarks - just one, the one that remembers position if you exit the application. All is needed is UI. "Folder Playlists" in the Library View can be merged with "Playlists" (how does it matter where the playlist was created from - from folders, search results or library?) and replaced with the new Bookmarks item. In the Player view, the Ringtone button can be removed (who is using it other than hip-hop listening teenagers - can be moved to the List view) and the Bookmark button can be there in its place.

Thank you?

The irony is that Poweramp already has bookmarks - just one, the one that remembers position if you exit the application. All is needed is UI. /quote]

Yes, perhaps in the form of a transparent scrollable window that appears above the main player UI. Just a thought.

• 5 months later...

Sorry to see that this thread has had no input for so long so have joined just for this post.

I would dearly LOVE to see a bookmarking feature for audiobook and podcast use.

Having tried many audiobook apps, none seem to play the range of files types that Poweramp does and certainly don't have the ease of use (and good looks!).

Its very frustrating to see something that ipods etc have done with ease for years, has still not been accomplished on the Android platform.

If needed I will give my left *** (but would rather not).

• 3 months later...

I found bookmarks really helpfull in other audio players when listening to podcasts and audiobooks.

So please give us this feature!!!

Also the another feature that would be nice to have, the player distinguishs between music and podcasts/audiobooks, using track time, then it dosn't play them when you shuffle all tracks.

Please give use this aswell!!!

Thanks

I absolutely agree with ThAtGuY7326. In my head I always had a automatic Audiobook Bookmark System as my old Sansa Clip+ had, but a manual one would may be even better.

Additionally the shuffle thing is also a thing. I have two Audiobooks on my phone and their file amount is equal to my music files. When I shuffle all the songs, half of the time I'm listening to Audiobooks.

thanks for considering our request.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, I definitely would like this feature. So true, iPods have done this for a while. On an iPod you can actually stop listening to an audio book halfway through, listen to an hour of music, go back to the audio book, and it resumes right where you left off. Brilliant.

I want to voice support again for this since it's been a while. Has your stance on this changed at all, Max?

Also, I wanted to point out that the new music player named RocketPlayer by the iSyncr guy has gapless playback and podcast bookmarks, and the dev is working on an equalizer. PlayerPro has added podcast support via playlists (although this is a less-than-ideal solution since it doesn't group podcasts by the same artists, it's a start). They may both start to steal PA customers for this reason.

• 3 weeks later...

I registered just to help out on this:

First, regarding adding to Power Amp, yes it would be cool, but it would probably fall prey to #2 from this blog post:

"

2. Don't get sweet talked into building a truck.

You should immediately triage the feedback and feature requests you get into two broad buckets:

We need power windows in this car!

or

We need a truck bed in this car!

The former is, of course, a reasonable thing to request adding to a car, while the latter is a request to change the fundamental nature of the vehicle. The malleable form of software makes it all too tempting to bolt that truck bed on to our car. Why not? Users keep asking for it, and trucks sure are convenient, right?

Don't fall into this trap. Stay on mission. That car-truck hybrid is awfully tempting to a lot of folks, but then you end up with a Subaru Brat. Unless you really want to build a truck after all, the users asking for truck features need to be gently directed to their nearest truck dealership, because they're in the wrong place.

" source: http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/

Secondly, the UI is much different for the needs of a power music player and a audiobook player. Different functionality. Try SmartAudiobook Player https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ak.alizandro.smartaudiobookplayer

It has meet my needs perfectly and is free.

I think the developer is doing a good job maintaining proper focus on what Power Amp does best.

thanks,

New User.

I want to voice support again for this since it's been a while. Has your stance on this changed at all, Max?

Also, I wanted to point out that the new music player named RocketPlayer by the iSyncr guy has gapless playback and podcast bookmarks, and the dev is working on an equalizer. PlayerPro has added podcast support via playlists (although this is a less-than-ideal solution since it doesn't group podcasts by the same artists, it's a start). They may both start to steal PA customers for this reason.

Archived