Poweramp crashing when trying to use folder view...

Hey All,

Recently Poweramp has started crashing when backing out of the player to go to the folder list (Pics show touch sequence) - I believe it only happens when list-type is set to both 'Folder' and 'Hierarchy'.

It was fine on the previous ROM (Resurrection Remix 6.0.1) although, ironically, I had to replace the previous ROM due to a lot of random system/app crashes, and now that this ROM works perfectly in every other sense Poweramp doesn't seem to want to play with it without having to set things up in a way I find counter-intuitive.

I've performed all the usual attempts at exorcism including but not limited to: removing all traces of the apps and re-downloading them again, removing and replacing the apps with the clones from the other ROM, mixing and matching data between the different versions, and so far nothing has stopped it from throwing an exception.

I've submitted the Bug Report Form earlier today, and sent in at least two error reports on Saturday I believe; I'm just adding this post as requested by the Bug Report Form along with what Cracker caught via an exception:

java.lang.IllegalStateException: newPosition should be in the window at this point
    at android.database.sqlite.SQLiteCursor.onMove(SQLiteCursor.java:133)
    at android.database.sqlite.SQLiteCursor.onMoveWithBoundsCheck(SQLiteCursor.java:158)
    at android.database.AbstractCursor.moveToPosition(AbstractCursor.java:218)
    at android.database.AbstractCursor.moveToNext(AbstractCursor.java:312)
    at com.maxmpz.audioplayer.data.0xFF.l1I.llll(":193)
    at com.maxmpz.audioplayer.data.0xFF.Il1.handleMessage(":71)
    at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:102)
    at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:148)
    at android.os.HandlerThread.run(HandlerThread.java:61) 

System Info:
PA : Poweramp 2.0.10-build-588-play (Full Version)
Dev: Samsung Galaxy S4 (GT-I9505)
And: MM 6.0.1
ROM: AOSP-JF-6.0.1

Hope that's of use to someone, thanks in advance; and if there's anything more that you need, feel free to ask away ^_^

SS1.jpg

SS2.jpg

SS3.jpg

Found more ways to make it crash:
 - Open track list > press [back] > crash
 - Open track list > tap [Library] > tap [Folders] > crash.

For the record, the Alpha downloaded last night and it's doing the exact same thing and giving a similar report:

java.lang.IllegalStateException: newPosition should be in the window at this point
    at android.database.sqlite.SQLiteCursor.onMove(SQLiteCursor.java:133)
    at android.database.sqlite.SQLiteCursor.onMoveWithBoundsCheck(SQLiteCursor.java:158)
    at android.database.AbstractCursor.moveToPosition(AbstractCursor.java:218)
    at android.database.AbstractCursor.moveToNext(AbstractCursor.java:312)
    at im.llll(":192)
    at io.handleMessage(":71)
    at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:102)
    at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:148)
    at android.os.HandlerThread.run(HandlerThread.java:61) 

Cheers.

I just signed up to chime in and expand on this.

I'm using the 6.0.1 rom Emotion AOSP r17 on my SM-N910F (Samsung Galaxy Note 4 International). From what I know, the only things Resurrection Remix and Emotion AOSP have in common are that they are AOSP based and that they incorporate features and parts of the framework (e.g. CM Theme Engine) from multiple AOSP roms. That said, if it really has to do with the rom, it might be an issue with CyanogenMod or some of the other more widespread custom ROMs.

Now, for the actual expanding on the issue: It crashes not only when I try to open the Folder view, but also the Album view. In other words, Poweramp seems to crash whenever it tries to show small album covers. Strangely, though, it does display album covers in folder view successfully unless I scroll down too far. Reducing the amount of folders and thus album covers leads to an immediate crash, however, so it seems to happen upon displaying a certain percentage of the total amount of folders.

In case this actually has to do with thumbnails, might this happen because I blocked Android from creating its standard .thumbnails folder in DCIM with a dummy file? That would be strange as until it crashes, thumbnails do show successfully in folder view, but you never know...

On a side note, this doesn't have to do with SD card stuff; it happens regardless of the media files' locations. Also, both the current release and version 703 show this behavior.

Well, this is interesting. Your guess about file size inspired me to try selecting one artist's folder after the other as music folders within the app. Bit magic happened and I was able to add all of them as long as I kept adding them one by one or in small batches, no crashes at all! Maybe there's some kind of bug when you try to add too much new stuff to the Poweramp library at once?

There's a little more, though. I tried to do the same with all my audio books. It worked for most, but one just keeps crashing the app. The folder containing the audio book files is called “Dr. Karsten Bredemeiner - Nie wieder Sprachlos - Provokative Rhetorik und Schlagfertigkeit“, the files are called the same plus “ x.mp3“ at the end, x being numbers from 1 to 8. Originally, it was “&“ instead of “und“, so I figured that might have been the issue, but that change didn't help. Maybe the issue is in the files' meta data, but I have no means of knowing. All I know is that this book is smaller and encompasses less audio files than some of the others that I was able to add without crashes.

This is some weird stuff going on...

• 3 weeks later...

Have same problem on CM13 and on RR on note 4 910F and found some solution, may be it will helpful. I have this hierarchy of folders:

sdcard\

sdcard\Music\

sdcard\Music\Album1

sdcard\Music\Album10

And when i add in settings folder music, Poweramp scan it and then i change list view to hierarchy and open folder view Poweramp crashes every time. Then i go to settings and uncheck my folder Music and check only one subfolder in it, for example Album1. Poweramp rescan it and then when i enter in folder view it not crashed and show 2 folders-Album1 and (don't know why) main folder Music. And i can freely enter to Music folder, see all subfolders and it's not crashed and hierarchy view works ;) May be i have not too much subfolders, but without this trick Poweramp crashes but with it not.

• 1 year later...
52 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

The next PA v3 release will have a completely new user interface, so any old bugs should hopefully be no more. Of course it will initially be a beta test release so there could be new bugs to find instead. :)  

Andre

ETA?

The issue discussed here in this thread is not UI related though. So a new UI alone would not fix it I think. Has this issue been acknowledged by developer as it is not a particular ROM specific issue. 

7 hours ago, andrewilley said:

The next PA v3 release will have a completely new user interface, so any old bugs should hopefully be no more. Of course it will initially be a beta test release so there could be new bugs to find instead. :)  

Andre

I tried the alpha 3 version and it has the same issue. This issue was reported a year back and I am disappointed to see no support or acknowledgement. Finally after years having to move to some other player despite having purchased Poweramp. 

Sadly due to the work Max (the only dev on Poweramp) has been putting into building the new interface, there have been no interim releases (bug-fix or otherwise) since April 2016. Until the interface is complete and fully intergrated, it's not possible to release a new test build. He has said the beta should be out late Nov/early Dec, but we're already half way through December now.

Andre

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/14/2017 at 10:08 PM, andrewilley said:

Sadly due to the work Max (the only dev on Poweramp) has been putting into building the new interface, there have been no interim releases (bug-fix or otherwise) since April 2016. Until the interface is complete and fully intergrated, it's not possible to release a new test build. He has said the beta should be out late Nov/early Dec, but we're already half way through December now.

Andre

How is a new UI relevant to this issue? I have tried the new ui / alpha 3 build and it has the same issue. 

3 hours ago, saurav_k said:

How is a new UI relevant to this issue? I have tried the new ui / alpha 3 build and it has the same issue. 

Because, as I said, while Max has been working on the new UI no feature request or bug fix releases have been possible until the beta is fully completed. Once that's out, there will be a bug fix phase which hopefully will catch items like this (if they are still present and can be duplicated on any of his test devices).

Andre

Archived