linking Poweramp to music folder on SD card

jlcamp7

Hello everyone!

I recently purchased a micro SD card for my LG G3 with the intention of moving and storing all of my music files on the SD card so that I would have more room on my phone for applications/photos/etc. I moved my music files from the internal memory to the SD card, however, when I tested to see if I could play a music file from the SD card without the file being on the phone's internal memory, the file did not show up on the SD card. I then researched and was told that I needed to have the music folder on my SD card linked to a music player, so I installed the recommended "Poweramp" music player and attempted to link my music folder from the SD card to the Poweramp app. I then tested again by deleting a music file from the internal memory of my phone and attempted to play it in Poweramp, but the music file disappeared again.

Can someone tell me how to CORRECTLY link my SD card music folder with the Poweramp app so that I can play music from the SD card without having the music on the phone's internal memory, which is the primary reason that I purchased the SD card. Thanks!

1 hour ago, jlcamp7 said:

Hello everyone!

I recently purchased a micro SD card for my LG G3 with the intention of moving and storing all of my music files on the SD card so that I would have more room on my phone for applications/photos/etc. I moved my music files from the internal memory to the SD card, however, when I tested to see if I could play a music file from the SD card without the file being on the phone's internal memory, the file did not show up on the SD card. I then researched and was told that I needed to have the music folder on my SD card linked to a music player, so I installed the recommended "Poweramp" music player and attempted to link my music folder from the SD card to the Poweramp app. I then tested again by deleting a music file from the internal memory of my phone and attempted to play it in Poweramp, but the music file disappeared again.

Can someone tell me how to CORRECTLY link my SD card music folder with the Poweramp app so that I can play music from the SD card without having the music on the phone's internal memory, which is the primary reason that I purchased the SD card. Thanks!

I have an LG e980 Optimus Pro G and I have found if I have both the LG music player and the Poweramp music player on my phone I have no issues with all of my music being on my SD card whenever I download anything from an outside source it automatically loads to my phone memory I have to physically transfer it to my SD card

In Poweramp Settings > Folders and Library > Music Folders, make sure that your SD Card's main top level music folder (whatever you have called it) is ticked in that list. Then Poweramp's scanner should detect and be able to play any music in there. If it doesn't see it immediately, do a Rescan in the same menu.

Andre

The stock music player has nothing to do with Poweramp, it is a completely separate app (although PA is able to import existing Playlists from it).

What do you mean by "delete from the built-in music player"? Do you perhaps mean deleting a physical song file from the 'Music' folder in the device's local file system? Also, I'm not sure what you mean by "keep a song" ?

Poweramp should only scan those areas that you have told it to via the Music Folders list. If you don't have any folders within the internal device file system ticked, Poweramp won't even know they are there. If it is not picking up songs on your SD Card when you have got that ticked in the Music Folders list, try a Full Rescan to see if that helps?

Ideally, in the Music Folders list you should have just one top level folder ticked, which would be your main Music folder (or whatever you choose to name it) on your SD Card. Within that folder should be all of your music (probably in lots of subfolders), which will also be ticked by default when you drill down in the Music Folders list.

Andre

@andrewilley By "built-in music player", I mean the music player app that came with my LG G3 pre-installed, like the one that you cannot delete even if you try (unless you try really hard maybe, lol), so yes, I suppose that would mean the music folder in my device's local file system, which contributes to the phone's internal memory, right? 

When I say "keep a song", I mean that when I have linked the music folder from my SD card to Poweramp (which successfully worked), I do a little test and delete a random song from the "music folder in the device's local file system/internal memory" (or the built-in music app that came with the phone pre-installed, like the equivalent of the itunes music app for iphones) and then I check for that same song in the Poweramp music library AND my SD card's music folder, and every time I have tried this, the song is deleted from both the Poweramp music app AND my SD card's music folder.

So, I guess a better question before I move any further along this process is this: is it possible to delete all of my music files from my phone's internal memory (built-in music app/music folder in phone's local file system) and still be able to keep the files on another music app such as Poweramp and my SD card? Because if not, then I purchased the SD card for the wrong reason.

Thanks!: )

So your problem is nothing to do with music players as such, but that when you delete a file from your local phone storage (either using the stock player or via a file explorer app) it also seems to delete that same file from your external MicroSD Card?

It sounds very much as though you are not actually viewing the contents of your external SD card at all, but just looking at the same files in a different (virtual) folder view. The folder name "sdcard" on most Android devices actually refers to a part of the internal device memory that is set up ready to store the user's files. On a G3 (I think) the external MicroSD Card is referred to as "external_SD", which can be found in two virtualised paths, /mnt/media_rw/external_SD or /storage/external_SD (both of those paths will display the same file system, they are not different places).

However, to complicate matters still further, it can also vary by Android ROM release versions (Marshmallow moved the goalposts yet again and renamed the external card once again).

Take a look in a proper file explorer app (something like ES File Explorer) and see what your device has actually named the various folder path locations.

Andre

Archived