Android Auto Support! Mod please respond!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also just signed up just for this...  Had the app (paid version) for years, it's the best I could find and it's been awesome. And would gladly pay again/more for Android Auto integration.  Just bought a car with it and it only supports Google Play and Amazon Music, both of which pale in comparison with PA.

Please integrate with AA!  It is such a pain to use it now (only via Bluetooth, which is mutually exclusive with AA), so I either have to unplug the phone to listen to what's on it (i.e. no navigation), or leave it in AA but can only listen to FM radio...

• 1 month later...

+1 for AA support. I'm pretty disappointed that the sole current focus for Max is a new UI. The current UI works just fine. I'd hope that new functionality requested by the user base would have some priority! AA support seems to be widely requested, please give this some priority! I'd be happy to pay extra for it, btw. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Yes, yes! Please, please. 

Please make Poweramp an Android Auto app! I'm being forced to use Rocket Player. I'm a convert from Rocket Player but the only reason I still have it is because of Android Auto. 

AnyAutoAudio(XDA Developers) is a nice work-around but full integration of Poweramp is what is desired. 

Please include as many features of the phone app as possible including album art. 

Thank, you

Dedicated Poweramp User

Hey guys,

I just made a working app for Android Auto using the PowerampAPI, you can play pause, skip to next and previous song, choose playlists, folders, ... Also the albumart is working.

I'm going to post the app in a few days when I find some time, and will add more features soon. 

Greetings, JBou

• 4 months later...
On 27/11/2017 at 8:32 PM, JBou said:

Hey guys,

I just made a working app for Android Auto using the PowerampAPI, you can play pause, skip to next and previous song, choose playlists, folders, ... Also the albumart is working.

I'm going to post the app in a few days when I find some time, and will add more features soon. 

Greetings, JBou

Where is that app !?

PowerampCar

It's only in ALPHA as of now but please test it and send me your feedback. I had no time to work on it again but it worked for the things I needed.

Download and Source Code
You can download the app right here

The source code is on Gitlab
Would like to see some pull request if you want to fix or add something.

Install PowerampCar directly from apk:

If downloading the APK directly you need to allow unknown sources in Auto,

- In the Android Auto app, tap the Hamburger menu.
- Tap About.
- Tap About Android Auto header 10 times, until a toast appears thar says "Developer mode enabled". Now you can access developer mode by selecting the overflow menu dots on the top right of the handheld screen.
- Select Developer settings from the overflow menu and check unknown sources.

Source: https://developer.android.com/traini...dex.html#phone

Some Bugfixes:
  • If the album art isn't shown go to Poweramp -> Settings -> Album Art -> Always process album art and activate this option.
  • If the music is to quiet check if your music volume is on the loudest level (using your volume keys)

Hope you enjoy it
Greetings
JBou

Thanks @JBou for the effort you've put into this for us. Downloaded and had a quick play this morning.  I have a few comments and suggestions, roughly in order of importance:

The folder list takes a VERY long time to display (over 45 seconds). Ok, I do have a lot of folders in my library (several hundreds), and maybe the delay is within PA, but I wonder if there's something that can be done to speed this up. 

It would be good to cache the folder list so that it doesn't have to be retrieved and reprocessed each time.

Initialise the app ready to continue the song that was last played in PA. 

Can we have a list of artists as an additional selection option. 

Can you expose the Shuffle control. Personally, I usually use either Shuffle Everything, or disable Shuffle altogether. 

Album art is displaying ok when I'm displaying the app full screen on my head unit. However, if I'm displaying satnav, the album art is missing from the new track popup notifications. 

That's it for now. Thanks in advance for implementing any of these ideas. 

Thanks @fishyweb.

I have to check the folders code again but it shouldn't take that long. Will try it out with a few hundred folders...

Caching should be a good idea because you don't change the folders while you're driving

I have to look how it is possible to get the last played song using the PowerampAPI.... But for me sometimes it's working and else I just press play pause with my car buttons and it starts and initializes. It's a bit buggy but if you know how it should work, you will have to try a bit :) but i will look into it.

Yeah the shuffle control is in progress maybe i wil add some options to select wich shuffle modes you want to use.

Artists and lists like that is not a problem bit i may be a huge list.

For the album art there is a small problem which i was already looking into a bit.I receive a message from the API everytime the album art changes and then show it... And that happens after the track change so the notification is empty. To read the album art first i would have to read it from disk (wigh read sdcard permission) or aomething like that. It's not that easy and a bit hacky but could work.

For speach input i am looking a bit later to support some commands. 

If someone wants to help i would be happy. 

Cheers

Thanks. Downloaded and will try it out on my way home. Btw I'm using your app exclusively in preference to AnyAutoAudio now as it is a simpler and more functional solution. Many thanks for your efforts, they are much appreciated. 

I have a 2018 Optima. The android auto works perfect but not the power amp. Perhaps the API needs to be worked on? This feature is going to become  more critical as more car manufacturers  utilize this UI in the vehicles. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 05/05/2018 at 9:52 PM, fishyweb said:

It seems to happen randomly. I can't identify any specific scenario except that it often seems to happen just a few seconds into a new track. Happened 3 times in a 90 minute drive this afternoon. 

I think this was a red herring. I've now changed my phone to a more powerful one and have not seen this issue since. 

I would very much like to add my voice to those requesting that the excellent Poweramp have Android Auto compatibility added. I am in the market for a new 2018 F-150 and I want to use the Sync3 Android Auto interface. All of the music apps I have experimented with are woefully inadequate. JetAudio only gives me the options of play all or playlists and I tried the PowerampCar that was posted above, but it is worse than useless. No offense to JBou for his efforts, I realise it is only an alpha version, but it is pretty terrible. I like to keep a large portion of my music collection with me at all time, so I have over 170 gbs on a MicroSD card. When I click on folders it takes almost 5 minutes for the folder list to propagate EVERY SINGLE TIME. I am also very persnickety about how my collection is sorted, so the folders are organised Genre/Artist/Year - Album Title. For artists who have released more than one album in a given calendar year (Rush, Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, etc.) I add a number after the year to keep by collection perfectly sorted chronologically by album artist. What PowerampCar does is completely ignore the folder structure when browsing and instead lists every single folder alphabetically. That means I get every album released in 1970, for example, all listed together. Talk about completely useless. Hopefully if JBou generously choses to continue work on it, those two issues can be addressed. Astonishingly, the best player for Android Auto that I have found so far is still the dreadful Google Play Music. At least that app gives me the option of browsing my collection by artist, although it maddeningly insists on listing albums alphabetically. Who, when listening to the complete Beatles catalogue, starts with Abbey Road and finishes with Yellow Submarine? No one, that's who! 

I spent a lot of time looking for the best music app when I first switched to Android before coming to the conclusion that Poweramp was easily the best of the bunch. Please spare us from all of the dreck out there by adding Android Auto compatibility. Preferably before I pick up a new truck this summer. I will happily pay extra for such an add-on. Thank you.

@antfly please tone down your criticism of PowerampCar. Just because it doesn't fit your precise use case does not make it "completely useless". @JBoudidn't have to share his / her work with to community, and I for one am grateful despite its limitations. The app is infinitely better than having no Poweramp support in AA. 

I would like Poweramp to be native support for AA just as much as you. However if I were the Poweramp developer, I'd not find your treatment of other app developers very encouraging. 

@fishyweb

My criticism was honest and polite, and I encouraged further development and referred to him/her as generous with his/her time. Maybe you should mind your own business instead of playing junior wannabe mod. And no, the app is not better than having no Poweramp support. Five minutes to wait for a list that is unusable is not at all helpful. It is, in fact quite useless. Why sugarcoat it? Why does everyone insist on being treated with kid gloves, these days? I was not pejorative or rude, rather it was an honest and accurate criticism. When I make a mistake at work, or fail on some aspect of a project, or even if they just don't like it, I want people to do me the courtesy of telling me straight out. Do not pander to me with a pat on the head and a cookie. Tell me where the problems are so I can try to address them. That is how you show respect.

I do like cookies though...

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to @JBou for posting the PowerampCar bridge. For me it's doing a great job of getting the basics up on the car's screen so I can keep listening to my playlist and skip tracks after getting in the car. It would be nice (in a future release) if the menu included the usual artist/album/playlist options as well as the existing flat folder list .That said, great work so far!

For some reason my 2018 Mitsubishi can't do Bluetooth audio music streaming while an Android Auto (AA) handset is plugged in - any attempt to play via Bluetooth just causes the AA music interface to launch. Having PowerampCar was a lifesaver here, it was a really frustrating experience otherwise.

Built-in support for AA in Poweramp would be great as well.

• 1 month later...

After months of trying to get my app into the Play Store I finally gave up and posted the .apk here - just to see a few hours later someone else got the same idea and uploaded it in the meantime :D .

Well done :). If you like to check out my bridge as well, you are free to do so ;)

Archived