Poweramp alpha-build-702

maxmp

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 04/08/2016 at 9:59 AM, txtmikhail said:

Loving this new player.. once its stable you should make this a new app so you can regain you some money..Maybe "Poweramp HD"..lol  Because its about time us long time subscribers pay up some more money for your hard work.. keep it coming..

I'll be glad to purchase official DSP plugins, and one to support additional formats (esp. tracker module formats). Wondering about profitability (and possible licensing issues ?) if they come out one day.

hello, i have been using the pro version for a long time but never quite got the most out of it. now i just got a OPPO HA2 usb DAC for my S7 Edge and since now the usb dac suppport is added i plugged it in and it worked howver i have very bad distortion when i get a call and the dac is connected. The call alert is so bad its like heavy rain. How do i fix that?there are many settings i'm just lost here

On 22/03/2016 at 4:42 PM, maxmp said:

Alpha2 F.A.Q

Poweramp alpha2 actually implements multiple Hi-Res variants:

- Snapdragon variant (LG/Sony/HTC devices). (Btw. many Snapdragon-based devices actually has Hi-Res capable hardware (e.g. latest Nexuses), but it's disabled in software)

- Samsung UHQA variant (it's a separate codepath even on Samsung Snapdragon-based devices)

- Sony Hi-Res variant (96khz only, Sony can also do 192khz in Snapdragon-variant mode - without DVC)

- MTK variant

- USB DAC variant (external Hi-Res DACs)

The DVC option is supported on some devices (Samsungs, Sonys, MTKs, USB DACs), but not on others (HTCs, LGs)

@maxmp Can you please clarify the behaviour of the Sony hi-res variant? Is it that Sony is ONLY capable of 24/96 or 24/192  (maybe for z5, but not seen on z3 variants), and NOT good for 24/44.1?

Most or my sources are 16/44.1 redbook material, and it would be nice to play at 24/44.1 to avoid resampling, but if it will get resampled to 96k regardless of Poweramp's setting, we might as well take advantage of the new sox resampler and output everything at 24/96. Poweramp appears capable of outputting 24/44.1 though, but I've made a lot of edits in audio_policy and mixer_paths for Hi-res to even show up, so not sure if Poweramp's data can be trusted.

3 hours ago, nereis said:

@maxmp Can you please clarify the behaviour of the Sony hi-res variant? Is it that Sony is ONLY capable of 24/96 or 24/192  (maybe for z5, but not seen on z3 variants), and NOT good for 24/44.1?

Z3 supports Sony Hi-Res variant, which is always 96khz max. The Qualcomm chipset used in that device supports 192khz as well, so this is artificial limitation, but generally Sony variant (96khz) works better on devices which support both Qualcomm 24-bit PCM and Sony variant (Sony Z5).

Most devices have DACs capable to multiples of 48khz only. Limited number of Android devices are capable of real 44.1khz playback w/o resampling, such as very new one Samsung S7 with DUAL 44.1khz and 48khz DAC clocks. I will probably add 44.1khz multiples to Sample Rate selection for such devices (at least for S7).

The ubiquitous 48khz exists in smartphones because it's the multiple of 8khz which is used in telephony layer and e.q. Qualcomm is telecommunication equipment company, not a audiophile grade producer)

This is generally not a problem actually, as it's hard to detect properly implemented resampler even with instrumented analysis, not to say by human ear. Nevertheless, 96khz+ upsampling will improve this even better by moving all associated noises well above hearing range.

I will try to find time and do the instrumented analysis of Hi-Res capable devices, like Sony Z3/Z5 /Samsung S6/S7 A9 to detect their "real" sampling rates. That is also hard due to the delta-sigma implementation of DACs with resulting sampling frequencies in MHz ranges.

Re: mp3 seek issue

I adjusted seeking for mp3 files. Now it will:
- seek VBR accurately and quickly, if there is TOC index in this file
- otherwise, seek file inaccurately and fast. For CBR files this will be accurate. For VBR without TOC this will be inaccurate the same way it was before (seek may result in incorrect elapsed time calculation)

I prefer speed over accuracy, as on mobile platform, seeking bad mp3 file accurately can take hundreds of ms and this is noticeable.
For most files it is speedy and accurate now (dev build 703).

17 minutes ago, maxmp said:

Z3 supports Sony Hi-Res variant, which is always 96khz max. The Qualcomm chipset used in that device supports 192khz as well, so this is artificial limitation, but generally Sony variant (96khz) works better on devices which support both Qualcomm 24-bit PCM and Sony variant (Sony Z5).

Most devices have DACs capable to multiples of 48khz only. Limited number of Android devices are capable of real 44.1khz playback w/o resampling, such as very new one Samsung S7 with DUAL 44.1khz and 48khz DAC clocks. I will probably add 44.1khz multiples to Sample Rate selection for such devices (at least for S7).

The ubiquitous 48khz exists in smartphones because it's the multiple of 8khz which is used in telephony layer and e.q. Qualcomm is telecommunication equipment company, not a audiophile grade producer)

This is generally not a problem actually, as it's hard to detect properly implemented resampler even with instrumented analysis, not to say by human ear. Nevertheless, 96khz+ upsampling will improve this even better by moving all associated noises well above hearing range.

I will try to find time and do the instrumented analysis of Hi-Res capable devices, like Sony Z3/Z5 /Samsung S6/S7 A9 to detect their "real" sampling rates. That is also hard due to the delta-sigma implementation of DACs with resulting sampling frequencies in MHz ranges.

im using the galaxy s7 exynos variant with OPPO HA 2 DAC and playing DSD files, is the displayed 44,1khz the real sample or the resampled bitrate, also do you know if the exynos s7 supports 32bit or just 16bit?

17 minutes ago, maxmp said:

1 hour ago, Skivnit said:

im using the galaxy s7 exynos variant with OPPO HA 2 DAC and playing DSD files, is the displayed 44,1khz the real sample or the resampled bitrate, also do you know if the exynos s7 supports 32bit or just 16bit?

If you use USB DAC, the internal smartphone DAC is not used, so this is unrelated to my post regarding sampling rates. Whether the given USB DAC supports the given sample rate or not is determined by that USB DAC (and Android USB DAC settings, but they are OK - dynamic - meaning any sample rate supported on Android 6.0).

For Poweramp Hi-Res output, the sample rate is always the one set in Poweramp settings (it can be one step lower if device fails to set it exactly, e.g. it can be 96khz even if 192khz is set in settings).

S7 Exynos internal DAC supports 44.1khz and 48khz sample rate multiples, 16 and 24bit widths.

Just now, maxmp said:

If you use USB DAC, the internal smartphone DAC is not used, so this is unrelated to my post regarding sampling rates. Whether the given USB DAC supports the given sample rate or not is determined by that USB DAC (and Android USB DAC settings, but they are OK - dynamic - meaning any sample rate supported on Android 6.0).

For Poweramp Hi-Res output, the sample rate is always the one set in Poweramp settings (it can be one step lower if device fails to set it exactly, e.g. it can be 96khz even if 192khz is set in settings).

S7 Exynos internal DAC supports 44.1khz and 48khz sample rate multiples, 16 and 24bit widths.

i use both (when my DAC battery dies i switch to the internal DAC) hence my question. thanks for confirming that 24bit is handled along with 48khz. Now i have another question just to make sure i'm doing this correctly. to use the usb dac ( supports up to 32 bit and 384 khz on PCM) i select USB DAC under AudioTrack output then i select wired/bluettoth under high res output and lastly Speaker is active under es output. is this how its should be? because when listening through the USB DAC and getting a phone call the ringtone is massively dissorted on the speaker i have to unplug the DAC.

5 hours ago, maxmp said:

I have 2 devices both with snapdragon 801 under the hood, LG G3 appears to switch sample rate based on input in Poweramp (select 96k and play 44.1k file, hi-res out switches to 44.1), where as on Sony Z3TC I get to dictate 96k in hi-res output, and Poweramp would go thru sox and resample to 96k and output at 96k. Do you think it's really that WCD9320 that lacks a dedicated 44.1k clocksource so that it can only so mutiples of 8k? Or maybe it can get around using non-integer multiples of 8k and somehow do 44.1k output?

I am aware of that on x86 pc running realtek hd audio codecs, most (post ac97 era / win xp that is) can support native switching of 44.1k/48k sample rates, however due to the lack of dedicated clocksource performancs on 44.1 is (marginally) worse than on 48k, but still better than having a poor quality resampler do 44.1 to 48 in system mixer.

I am currently playing with alsa in android, and there we get to introduce another higher quality resampler. (works great before the introduction of Poweramp v3), but now I have a feeling this may be redundant.

Bugreport:

- Found the culprit that lets sound play for 1 sec when you take your earphones out. When you use viper4android, I get this. It's annoying when I'm in the train and I accidently take them out. 

- When playing music and you remove and put your earphones back in(not 100% sure about if this affects it), the song says its at 23 seconds (random number) but actually it has started over again. Got this twice.

- When in the music list, the thumbscroll thingy, isn't working so great, it could be me, but it's more annoying to use now. 

I've noted that on Alcatel Idol 3 6039A Poweramp 2.* has skips, lags and cuts, mainly when the screen is locked. But with the alpha version, with the Resampler on SoX, the Dither on Triangular and OpenSL ES Output activated, everything runs Ok. For now, I had no cuts and skips

Thanks  @maxmp , The alpha2 version is great, but I'm having some issues:

Poweramp is installed on my android 4.1.1 head unit in the car, and I'm playing from internal storage. 

1. When I switch on the HU, Poweramp opens up and start the last played song from the beginning instead of resuming.

2. My resolution is 840*400 and it causes the rating (star) bar to appear to big, I cannot disable it, and it prevents me from doing gesture of swiping up to move between playlists. 

3. When my phone rings, Poweramp doesn't lower the volume so I can hear the ringtone. 

I hope those issues will fix on the upcoming beta release (especially the resuming issue), mostly because previous versions didn't work good with my head unit (previous version doesn't have the option to disable DVC)

Thanks! 

3 hours ago, chiefwitch said:

This version have an issue with the gapless playback. There is a brief clip between mp3 tracks created by iTunes, but it worked fine with downloaded files. In the 2.0 worked fine in all mp3 files.

I'm assuming you have checked the gapless playback settings are set correctly, so please could you send a few sample files where this effect is particularly noticeable.

Andre

1 hour ago, Skivnit said:

how do you check what bitrate the file is actually playing at?powerwamp displays the original file bitrate and samples but i want to know what the internal DAC is actually outputing

Max mentioned using external test equipment to monitor the output to be sure of what is happening.

Andre

Archived