Android 6.0 No album art

I know Andre, I wasn't criticising what you said, it was just a tongue-in-cheek comment. I know this will be fixed sooner or later, because even though the primary role of an audio player is, well, playing audio, secondary aspects like look and feel are important too and can drive new users away. Most of PA users know it's one of the best players around soundquality-wise (the best one, if you ask me), we are not going to use other player just because of some temporary bug which affects a small number of users, but new users who download a bunch of apps and test them may reject an app because of the looks even before trying the sound capabilities.

Anyway, I'm conscious it's only Max developing and he is busy with the V3, and this is not vital, no worries at least on my part.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, DervishD said:

I know Andre, I wasn't criticising what you said, it was just a tongue-in-cheek comment. I know this will be fixed sooner or later, because even though the primary role of an audio player is, well, playing audio, secondary aspects like look and feel are important too and can drive new users away. Most of PA users know it's one of the best players around soundquality-wise (the best one, if you ask me), we are not going to use other player just because of some temporary bug which affects a small number of users, but new users who download a bunch of apps and test them may reject an app because of the looks even before trying the sound capabilities.

Anyway, I'm conscious it's only Max developing and he is busy with the V3, and this is not vital, no worries at least on my part.

Hit the nail on the head DervishD. Let Max know that I am also interested in being a test dummy for this project.

52 minutes ago, panamaklz said:

Let Max know that I am also interested in being a test dummy for this project.

I'm afraid Max doesn't even give me advanced previews to test - I don't see new releases until he posts them here, the same as everyone else.

Andre

On 3/20/2016 at 0:47 AM, DervishD said:

Anyway, there's a workaround, to wit: saving the embedded album art as "cover.jpg" or equivalent. Problem is, not many people know how to do this automatically, or even by hand. So let's hope Max fixes this soon :) Thanks for keeping him informed.

This works well for albums, but not for assorted singles that are in the same directory.  I've got 3 directories of mixed singles that have the artwork embedded into the MP3 files and these are the ones that aren't showing up, while the album directories all have cover.jpg and are showing up fine.

Like a few have said this isn't a dealbreaker as I didn't purchase the app for the visuals (although it did get me to eventually track down all the album art for my collection), although I am looking forward to seeing the embedded artwork again.

I too also bought into PA for the audio and app, and not necessarily for the artwork, so it's not a HUGE deal, but indeed the visuals make it nice - especially with the way the entire panel is matched with the artwork.  One area that this does hurt though is when I look through my albums as I am used to looking at the graphic and I scroll through them which you can't do anymore.

But no worries - hope it's fixed soon.  If I get the sudden urge for the album art, I'll load the Samsung music player and use that for a little bit.  lol :)

Huge fan of this music player, thank you!  S7 edge user here. Came in to report same issue of no album art. Not sure what Samsung / android did this time. I do know the new Samsung Music for marshmallow does see the album art embedded in the files on sdcard. 

12 hours ago, jonb said:

This works well for albums, but not for assorted singles that are in the same directory.  I've got 3 directories of mixed singles that have the artwork embedded into the MP3 files and these are the ones that aren't showing up, while the album directories all have cover.jpg and are showing up fine.

I know, I suffer from that drawback, too. The temporary solution I've adopted to solve that is to use the same program I was using to mass-saving the embedded album art as cover.jpg to mass-rename the singles, too. I've changed my music hierarchy until this is solved. Not that I love the solution, but works for me short term and any mass-renamer should do a fast job. I've used, so far, foobar2000 and mp3tag for mass-renaming, embedded cover art saving, etc.

Maybe this will work for you, too, short term, until Max fixes this problem.

14 hours ago, andrewilley said:

I'm afraid Max doesn't even give me advanced previews to test - I don't see new releases until he posts them here, the same as everyone else.

I'm surprised to know you are not a privileged user. Privileged users are very useful to detect early problems before releasing, and I think he can trust you fully given the excellent job you do moderating the forums.

Of course, Max knows what he's doing, but I would find very useful to have access to a variety of different phones for beta testing. I bet he doesn't have an AndroidOne, which together with the devices from Google is the only model on the market with a "pure" Android, so it's a very useful tool for beta testing, isolating failures, etc.

Anyway, the offer is on the table for Max to take, if he is interested. I love testing beta material and I'm a programmer so I can carry tests which non tech-savvy PA users couldn't make.

Max has dozens (hundreds?) of phones for testing purposes. This was a couple of years ago...

... and also an R2-D2 in the background there. :)

The problem is he's based in Russia and I'm in the UK, which makes accessing that stash a bit tricky! :)

Andre

And on the tag editing and file renaming front, for what it's worth, I use Tag Scanner for batch editing of ID3 tags and embedding file artwork on my PC, and Advanced Renamer is a good tool for batch renaming of files based on various embedded content. Both are fairly in-depth apps though, and not really quick "click and go" tools until you get used to them.

Andre

6 hours ago, andrewilley said:

Max has dozens (hundreds?) of phones for testing purposes. This was a couple of years ago...

The problem is he's based in Russia and I'm in the UK, which makes accessing that stash a bit tricky! :)

Andre

Hmm. Is it just you 2 working for Poweramp? I thought the brand would have grown by now. The update schedule makes so much more sense now.

10 minutes ago, panamaklz said:

Hmm. Is it just you 2 working for Poweramp? I thought the brand would have grown by now. The update schedule makes so much more sense now.

No, it's just Max who develops the app, all I do is look after the forums here so he can concentrate on programming.

Andre

According to Max, the artwork downloading issue is related to a Google servers update, which is only gradually updating around the world. Build 585 is designed for the new server version, and so it should settle down within this week. See http://forum.powerampapp.com/index.php?/topic/8640-album-art-wont-download/#comment-32142.

The lack of embedded art on S7 and similar phones will be resolved with build 586, which Max needs a couple more days to get ready for release. The same applies to the second alpha release of Poweramp v3, which will have the same fixes applied. There is also a volume issue on S7 devices apparently, which will only be fixed via the alpha fork, so any affected users will need to switch to the second alpha test release.

Andre

9 hours ago, DervishD said:

I know, I suffer from that drawback, too. The temporary solution I've adopted to solve that is to use the same program I was using to mass-saving the embedded album art as cover.jpg to mass-rename the singles, too. I've changed my music hierarchy until this is solved. Not that I love the solution, but works for me short term and any mass-renamer should do a fast job. I've used, so far, foobar2000 and mp3tag for mass-renaming, embedded cover art saving, etc.

Maybe this will work for you, too, short term, until Max fixes this problem.

For now I'll wait on the fix.  For the first year or longer that I had Poweramp only the odd song had artwork displayed due to an embedded image.  I ended up spending the better part of a day (plus a bit extra) to get all the artwork for my albums.  It sounds like a solution will be coming relatively shortly although I do like your workflow.

Max's pile of phones though...woah!

1 hour ago, andrewilley said:

According to Max, the artwork downloading issue is related to a Google servers update, which is only gradually updating around the world. Build 585 is designed for the new server version, and so it should settle down within this week. See http://forum.powerampapp.com/index.php?/topic/8640-album-art-wont-download/#comment-32142.

The lack of embedded art on S7 and similar phones will be resolved with build 586, which Max needs a couple more days to get ready for release. The same applies to the second alpha release of Poweramp v3, which will have the same fixes applied. There is also a volume issue on S7 devices apparently, which will only be fixed via the alpha fork, so any affected users will need to switch to the second alpha test release.

Andre

Nice! How do i get my hands on the Alpha Andre?

And he develops on his own?!?!? Why hasnt he hired some new programmers? Now I feel kinda bad for being impatient lol.

Hello,

I'm glad that this will be resolved shortly. I miss seeing the album art. Poweramp is one of the first apps a download after a new phone or factory reset. I use it every day. I love it.

I had not realized that the developer was pretty much doing everything himself. Please pass along my thanks.

BTW. I've also been using TagScanner for years. It works great for adding embedded album art tags.

Poweramp v3 Alpha-test #2 is now available for download if anyone wants to test it, should display embedded album correctly and also allow downloading. Build 586 of the regular release won't be too much longer if you prefer not to risk alpha test releases.

Andre

5 hours ago, maxmp said:

There will be v2.0 update for S7 shortly which fixes embed covers (that's also included in Alpha2).

Thanks!

Thought I would report that while album art is fixed and correct using the the alpha2 701 build almost everywhere. However, I am seeing the wrong album art while selecting music through playlists. Playlists seems to be the only place where this is happening. Album art is there, but for the wrong track. When I long press the album art area used for downloading, I am presented with the correct embed album art, but after selecting it from there, it still shows the wrong album art.

I am only assuming this is what you're referring to with the v2.0 update referenced above, so I will experiment with that. I will also try to create a new playlist and see if the problem follows me there.

Thank you.

GS7e Android 6.0.1

22 hours ago, andrewilley said:

Andre

So, he's working on PA for R2-D2!!!! :D:D:D Anyway, Android One phones are a different animal: "pure" Android ROM made by Google, but over a phone designed and made by some local manufacturer. Sometimes they reveal Android bugs which are different from the Nexus line.

Thanks to Max for fixing this so fast, and thanks to Andre for the support and the information. I'm more than happy to know that 586 will fix that. I may test the alpha, anyway, to check if the "glitches" on the sound are fixed for me, but won't be able to do it for some time, because I want to test both versions in three phones I have access to, at the same time.

Again, thanks! This has solved an important issue for me.

3 hours ago, Lynxiano said:

However, I am seeing the wrong album art while selecting music through playlists. Playlists seems to be the only place where this is happening.

GS7e Android 6.0.1

I can confirm I'm still seeing the artwork issue with Playlists on alpha2, in my case I see no artwork at all in the player screen (and all the files have embedded art). To be fair, Max did say not all of the reported alpha1 bugs would be fixed in this release. 

Andre

Archived