Controlling Poweramp with stereo (Android Tablet) and steering wheel controls

stevewilson

My car stereo is an Android tablet.  I downloaded and installed Poweramp from the play store and it works fine, but I can't get it to respond to the pause and track forward/track back buttons on the stereo or on the steering wheel.  Any ideas?  (it's already set as the default mp3 player).

Thanks

Steve

• 1 month later...

Hello

Poweramp is installed on my android head unit in the car, but I cannot control the tracks with the buttons on the steering wheel (SWC), so can we make it work?

Maybe @andrewilley or @maxmp can advise? 

thanks

I suspect it depends on how the car controls are being handled by the device. If it mimics regular control functions (MEDIA_NEXT, MEDIA_PLAY_PAUSE, MEDIA_PREVIOUS, etc) then Poweramp will be able to use them, but if the device does something internal and weird then it probably won't work, Is there a support forum for the car head unit you are using?

Andre

9 hours ago, andrewilley said:

I suspect it depends on how the car controls are being handled by the device. If it mimics regular control functions (MEDIA_NEXT, MEDIA_PLAY_PAUSE, MEDIA_PREVIOUS, etc) then Poweramp will be able to use them, but if the device does something internal and weird then it probably won't work, Is there a support forum for the car head unit you are using?

Andre

unfortunately, my unit is generic and not based on Rockchip, so I cannot use the SWC app in XDA nor the Xposed module...

I've also tried to look into keylauout files to look for something special and compared it to my phone... but the files seemed to be alright...

moreover , tried to identify what key is being pressed with Keytest app and it seems that the next and skip buttons don't send any keys at all... 

so those controls working in the unit's native apps (radio/cd/video player/music) and not in external apps...

I would love know if there's some way it may be achieved. I can dig into files and change system settings if necessary. 

thanks alot for a great support!

• 1 year later...

Does anyone know how to enable Poweramp forward/backward buttons on steering wheel? All the steering wheel buttons work in bluetooth app and native music app BUT not in Poweramp.
This is the Android 7.1 unit I have: Android 7.1 Radio DVD Player Car GPS Navigation for 1998-2006 Mercedes Benz G Class W463 G550 G500 G400 with Bluetooth Music Mirror Link USB WIFI 1080P Video Aux DVR.

I installed the following apk and still does NOT work: com.dr8.xposedmtc_v169_3cee0c, CarService_2.1.3, MtcdTools.

PLEASE HELP

Archived