Proposed Material Design style interface discussion

Brainscollector

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks. One thing that got lost in the recent versions was the track progress bar in the "now playing" screen, which I think would definitely be missed if it was removed. In fact, user requests tend to be for MORE control features (such as play/pause/etc) within the library screens - perhaps the small Speaker icon in your example could be replaced with a play/pause button, and a progress bar could be shown either above or below the currently playing track title? I guess above it would match the look of the Player screen better,

Andre

I love the swipe up. An addition to UI choices: IMO there is no reason to have disabled buttons in the UI. If there is only one list, next/previous list buttons should be hidden. It would also be a possibility to use the space for more options.

I use swipe to change tracks. As a result, I often do wrong swipes because of the two navigation drawers. If the lists are on swipe up, couldn't be swipe down for equalizer & co?

I love the swipe up. An addition to UI choices: IMO there is no reason to have disabled buttons in the UI. If there is only one list, next/previous list buttons should be hidden. It would also be a possibility to use the space for more options.

I use swipe to change tracks. As a result, I often do wrong swipes because of the two navigation drawers. If the lists are on swipe up, couldn't be swipe down for equalizer & co?

The Next/Prev List buttons already disable themselves when they are not needed within the current playback mode (e.g. when playing All Songs, or All-Shuffled), but having the actual function itself change dynamically based on modes (rather than just enable/disable) could get very confusing. Some people use the cover-art swipe functions to do all their next/prev operations (as you have mentioned) but others prefer to use the buttons, and in fact disable those two swipe feature completely (such as me!).

I would suggest that swipe-from-top-of-screen not be used for anything though, as it would very easily conflict with Android's own notification bar pull-down.

Andre

As long I can change the pink color to anything else (Teal is a good "neutral" color) im OK with this UI

Based on @brainscollector's concept, the primary color will be extracted from the album art's most dominant/vibrant color. For example, if the now playing track has an album art which composes mostly color blue, then the toolbar color will be based on that color.

The Next/Prev List buttons already disable themselves when they are not needed within the current playback mode (e.g. when playing All Songs, or All-Shuffled), but having the actual function itself change dynamically based on modes (rather than just enable/disable) could get very confusing. Some people use the cover-art swipe functions to do all their next/prev operations (as you have mentioned) but others prefer to use the buttons, and in fact disable those two swipe feature completely (such as me!).

I would suggest that swipe-from-top-of-screen not be used for anything though, as it would very easily conflict with Android's own notification bar pull-down.

Andre

I agree with the confusing part. That was not very well thought-out. Still, I'd like to hide them (but that' just a minor personal preference).

I also agree with what I read between the lines: There should not be a swipe which has no equivalent tap (I can't think of an counterexample where this would be good; that doesn't mean there are none).

What I meant as swipe down was not as far up as the nofication bar, but rather on the album cover - of course that conflicts with list change, so one would have to make it an exclusive choice.

The blur can already be turned off in Poweramp Settings > Album Art > Background Type

Andre

I know, but I don't want to get album cover scaling feature removed, because it is much cooler this way in my opinion (look at the screenshot I posted earlier)

This is just a concept discussion - Brainscollector isn't actually writing the code, just showing us some ideas (which I personally think are exactly the right direction for the interface to go in). I have asked Max about a week ago if he could have a look at this thread and let us known what he thinks, but I've not heard anything back yet.

Andre

@Brainscollector,

Love the designs (especially the dark ones!)

Question - What do you think should go in the left hamburger menu given that it's shared between the Now Playing vue, as well as the music listing menu? Same applies to the dotted menu as well as the search box?

@Brainscollector,

Love the designs (especially the dark ones!)

Question - What do you think should go in the left hamburger menu given that it's shared between the Now Playing vue, as well as the music listing menu? Same applies to the dotted menu as well as the search box?

Hello. Thank you for kind words :)

I was thinking to put in left drawer everything what is important: settings, help and also what is inside right drawer in alpha version - engine, equalizer, visualizer options. Everything sorted and into compact form so it would not be overloaded with unnecessary informations and options that are not used. There is not much need to include all those options like folders, albums etc because everything will be available within 1-3 swipes or single tap. Three dots menu will be needed for any settings that are visible right on the screen, so if you are on main screen, it will show customization shortcuts and options for music currently playing. On screens like Albums/Artists/rtc it will show all the customization options like grid sizes, sorting and all that kind options. So - left drawer will include most important application settings and shortcuts, 3 dots will be needed for customization of what is currently on screen.

SnowWhite theme

28Zvta4.gif

Zajebista praca i UI! Tak trzymaj !!!

Nice work and UI, keep it this way. I think that the last version is well improved with the seekbar.

BTW, do you have any suggestion how to change albums as the swipe up/down enables it on the current version ?

some really cool looking concept art here, 

would be nice to see multi colour support, ie. dark/white theme plus colourized bar changes, the other problem is it would probably break existing themes (at least in terms of animation?) 

what about widgets? any concept for material widgets?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived