Converting File-based playlists to Internal Playlists

gol

Saving (exporting) internal playlists is important in case of losing the playlists for different reasons or in order to change the mobile phone and re-install Poweramp using the old playlists.

But then the former playlists become file-based playlist, which are not editable!

The solution would be to change ("incorporate") the file based playlist into an internal playlist again with all the options for editing them. These new internal playlists can then again be saved for backup reasons and so on.

So please make the file-based playlists, once imported, changeable to internal playlists.

Thank you in advance.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gol

There is a lot of misunderstanding about file based playlists. These are simply external text based m3u or m3u8 playlists which have nothing to do with Poweramp. Poweramp offers both m3u import and export and the feature you ask for exists. When you import a file based playlist, you actually create a new internal Poweramp playlist with the same name. After successful import, you should delete the file based one. Any amendments to the imported playlist can then be secured by exporting.

• 5 weeks later...

TheoKlink,

thank you that you are still with me...

But unfortunately it is NOT the case that imported file based playlists become an internal playlist:

• in poweramps playlist view the PLs are divided into internal and file based playlists
  • internal playlists are generated (only) when creating a new playlist
  • the file based playlists come from the files I copied into the folder Poweramp is screening automatically
    ("When you import a file based playlist, you actually create a new internal Poweramp playlist with the same name" - where? I cannot see them.)
  • once I have deleted the files from the directory as you suggested the corresponding playlists first contain no songs and upon refreshing the view the playlists are gone.
  • and they have not become an internal playlist before...

Since you seem so certain I hope that I am missing a point ...

gol

Gol, I will check out how pa treats external playlists. If pa does not import the external playlist then it simply plays them. However there is an easy way albeit a little cumbersome.You could use a dedicated playlist manager app such as mine to manage your playlists. For example, I deleted all pa playlists and used the pa import facility. The native android playlists are then imported into pa. Any amendments to playlists you use the app and import into pa.

Ps looks like i was wrong in my understanding that pa actually imports external playlists and your original feature request is a sensible one

• 2 weeks later...

Thanx again, TheoKlink,

at least, my request is now a sensible one :mellow:,

Hope the PA guys see it similar. (Where are they by the way, the most active people in the forum are obviously not working for PA...)

I would love to find a solution. But as I understand, when I use your PL manager app I cannot add a song I am listening to with PA to an existing PL, is that correct? I would always have to swap to your app?

when I use your PL manager app I cannot add a song I am listening to with PA to an existing PL, is that correct?

You can add your current song to the current memory-copy of a file-based playlist within Poweramp. However if you need to reset Poweramp, or re-import the playlist from storage, the modification will be overwritten with the file-based copy. I assume TheoKlink's app can back the modified list up for you though?

Andre

Having thought about this some more, importing file based playlists is probably superfluous as these playlists are likely to exist as an android playlist which pa does import. In the case where the file based (aka m3u) has been copied to the device, you can use my app to create an android playlist and import into pa. So, in conclusion, using both apps gives you a many choices to safeguard and secure your playlist.

You are both very dedicated, thank you.

But sorry, file-based playlists are only useful to me in order to backup/saving and transferring playlists. Using PA in everydays life they are useless since not changeable/extandable. And I do not want to ship around using an additional app, this doesn't make life easier.

As every restart of the mobile will rescan (and overwrite) the (changed) file based PL I would have to backup the playlist after every single added song....No way.

So I guess I have to wait for the PA people to give an ear to that issue.

gol

@ Theoklink: "... importing file based playlists is probably superfluous as these playlists are likely to exist as an android playlist which pa does import..." has confused me again, as PA obviously does NOT import these playlists into its own PL structure.

... and I am still wondering why other PA users do not jump in - how are they dealing with modifying their playlists once they have exported/imported them?

Is this not a general issue for all PA users?

(Thus I am still not sure whether I am missing something or did not clarify my point properly ...)

• 2 weeks later...

go! is not just imagining this - he has a valid point.  I have been dealing with this issue for the past week.  Not long ago I upgraded to a newer phone.  I have been trying to get the Poweramp internal playlists from my old phone to my new phone.  Poweramp doesn't allow you to do that.  It exports file based playlists from the old phone, and tries to iimport system playlists into the new phone.  It is a complete disconnect - it exports one type and imports the other type.  I have copied the exported, file based playlists to the new phone.  Poweramp will play them, but they are not editable.  When I use the import function on the new phone, it tries to import system playlists, and there aren't any, because Poweramp never made them on the old phone in the first place.  The results are:  "Imported playlists: 0, entries imported: 0, entries skipped: 0."  I am remembering the last time I upgraded to a new phone and had the same issue.  This has been going on for years.  Last time out of frustration I wound up re-creating all of my Poweramp internal playlists from scratch, which was necessary to get something that was editable.  Otherwise you just can't get there from here.  If I had root on my new phone I would just back up Poweramp with it's data and restore it on the new phone, but the AT&T S5 is not rootable.  Besides, I shouldn't have to resort to that in the first place.  All the other apps I have been using allow me to export data from the old phone and import it into the new one, but this one has an obvious disconnect in the way it (doesn't) accomplish that.  I am truly amazed it has gone on this long.  Not to mention the fact that there is no way I can transfer the custom equalizer presets from the old phone to the new phone either.

I just downloaded an app called "Playlist Backup."  It is probably not as sophisticated as the app TheoKlink suggested, but it allowed me to take the M3U8 files exported from Poweramp and transfer them to system based playlists, which Poweramp finally did import.  This worked well as a one-time transfer.  It isn't practical for synchronization.  The next time I buy a phone, I will probably forget how I did this.  I'll have to come back here and re-visit my own post.

From Playlist Backup, go to Poweramp Playlists.  If you have previously copied over any Poweramp exported file-based playlists, they will be shown there as M3U8 files.  Select what you want and then "Backup Selected."  The M3U8 playlists have now been transferred to system playlists that can be imported into Poweramp.

Andre, thank you you are of course correct. i tested the imports with a m3u playlist which appeared to be imported by pa. What had happened though is that Android has also found the m3u playlist and created an android playlist with that name. This was the one imported by pa. It explains why i got confused. Sorry everyone.

Just to mention that my app does import m3u playlists.

• 4 weeks later...

I just worked out a trick to allow exporting of file-based playlists after you have made some changes to them in Poweramp.

Simply go to the Playlists category view and long-press on the title of File-based Playlist that you want to backup. Select "Add to Playlist" and create a new playlist name, which will copy the entire contents of the modified file-based playlist to a new internal list. Do this with any other file-based playlists that you've modified, giving each one a new temporary name, and then use the Export Playlists function in the Settings > Folders and Library menu to save them back to storage.

A bit clunky to do on a regular basis, but it works fine to backup modified lists once you're happy that you've finished editing them. And you can then use the saved backup copy to overwrite the original playlist file and rescan it back into Poweramp (and then delete the temporary internal duplicate).

Andre

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Andre , would you be able to help me out ?  I added some new music to my  playlist library. I also did a Full Rescan on Power amp to erase the old memory. However when a input the sd card and do a new recan I only get 13 playlist out of my 16 that are stored in my sd card. I have rebooted the phone and have also done multiple rescan. but I still get 13 out of my 16 . ????

Thank you Alex      

do a new recan I only get 13 playlist out of my 16 that are stored in my sd card. I have rebooted the phone and have also done multiple rescan. but I still get 13 out of my 16 .

Are all the playlists stored in the same location on your SD Card (e.g. in a Playlists folder) or spread around different places? Is it consistent which 3 don't load? Is there anything different, either in the filename or the content structure (you can view them in any text editor) between the ones that load and those that don't?

Andre

• 4 weeks later...

I just worked out a trick to allow exporting of file-based playlists after you have made some changes to them in Poweramp.

Simply go to the Playlists category view and long-press on the title of File-based Playlist that you want to backup. Select "Add to Playlist" and create a new playlist name, which will copy the entire contents of the modified file-based playlist to a new internal list. Do this with any other file-based playlists that you've modified, giving each one a new temporary name, and then use the Export Playlists function in the Settings > Folders and Library menu to save them back to storage.

A bit clunky to do on a regular basis, but it works fine to backup modified lists once you're happy that you've finished editing them. And you can then use the saved backup copy to overwrite the original playlist file and rescan it back into Poweramp (and then delete the temporary internal duplicate).

Andre

Andre,

gorgeous!

Indeed, it is a bit clunky, but finally a way to work around. Tank you! (Though I could have found this option by myself... ;-()

And again, I wonder, why the PA people do not react on suggestions like mine. They could have saved us all a lot of time - let allone the effort to solve this issue in a professional way ...

gol

Great, I'm glad it worked for you. I'm afraid that not even I as a moderator here have a hotline into Max's plans. He has very specific ideas of what he wants to do, and suggestions and feature requests only get looked at after he's the done things he wants/needs to do first. Whether or not you happen to agree with that policy, at the end of the day Poweramp is 100% his project - it's something we either need to accept or move on to using a different product.

Andre

• 1 year later...

Excuse me...I paid for PA Unlocker... This is not 100% his. If he takes out money, he better consider requests at least required to what he wants.

I don't want a different product, I want this one to work! Exporting backups that can't be re-sorted through the built in import feature... Insane!

Does Max not care about negative press regarding a MAJOR flaw he refuses to fix?

4 hours ago, Catatized said:

I want this one to work! Exporting backups that can't be re-sorted through the built in import feature... Insane!

Not sure what your point is. If you export a playlist, you can then import it again later into Poweramp or another app. What are you trying to do?

Andre

Archived