How do I get the messages to last long enough to read them?

vdubyajohn

I'm trying to figure out how to use Poweramp, as I can find NO instructions, but everytime I click on something new, it gives me like .05 seconds to read the message, which is impossible. I tried to impost "plylists from system" and it said a large amount were not imported but it faded away before I could read it.

I think popup toast message delays are controlled by Android (they are a system function) but they generally do last for longer than one-twentieth of a second...

Stuff that's already in your Android music library should be imported automatically, but if you import a playlist for which the files have not been scanned by Poweramp, it will not be able to play them. Might be related to your earlier question about setting the correct Music Folders location to find your song files.

Andre

Thanks again, Andre. Some of the stuff in my SD card came over correctly, but some albums broke up into several iterations of the album with one or two songs in each. Daft Punk, for instance came up as 12 different albums of the same name but with one song each. I'm using a fairly new Moto e, and all my playlists in iTunes are intact, that is, just one playlist/a;bum for Daft Punk.

I would concentrate on getting your library list right first before worrying about Playlists (playlists can only play songs that are already contained in the main Library).

Playlist formats vary greatly between different apps, and also file systems can vary a lot too, so absolute paths can fail - e.g. giving instructions which state that a song can be found in "C:\Users\yourname\Music\" on a PC can cause issues when that same list is directly copied to a device which doesn't have C:\Users\yourname\ in its file system. Relative paths are a better answer.

I'm surprised about the exact same album title coming up as 12 different items though, assuming the tags are encoded correctly in the music files anyway. Are you using 'Album' view in the Library screen? There are lots of different ways to sort and view your music and it can take a little while to get used to the flexibility that Poweramp offers. Is there any way you could upload some of the tracks which cause this problem so I can take a look, or at least a screenshot of what you see?

I must admit that personally I'm rather old-school and I prefer to set up my music collection manually in folder names of my own choosing, and sort and display them using a folder tree rather than using embedded tags to sort them into Albums. I have a lot of music which doesn't fit nicely into artist/album layouts and I just like the direct control that user folders gives me.

Andre

well, that brings it down to what I REALLY need to know. I want to bring all my music from itunes to my phone. I have thousands of songs in my collection and have only "stored" them in itunes over the years.
I had tried double twist and it screwed up my itunes so badly, I can't even begin to describe the hours I spent trying to put things back. I didn't uninstall double twist before I tried to use Poweramp, so it did it again yesterday with its auto sync. All my songs are totally scrambled in itunes again.

So, if I'm going to switch to Poweramp, and want to bring my playlists over, how should I re-oragnize them in itunes (again) first, so they come over the way I want them? Do I organize my playlists/albums in itunes by artist, or by album name?
I only want to do this one more time, due to the number of songs/playlists/albums I have, before I try to import them again. I think part of the problem with the Daft Punk album was that every song "featutres" another artist, so maybe Poweramp though they were different albums, and I wound up with 12 of them.

This is why it is so frustrating to not be able to read a set of instructions, at my own pace, and THEN ask questions if I need to.

So, let me just start with; what is the optimum way to have my music organized IN itunes BEFORE I try to make the move to Poweramp?

Thank you for your patience...

I'm afraid I can't help you with iTunes, I don't allow it anywhere near any of my computers (as I said, I manage my own music files and folders, so the Apple mantra of "you will do things our way or not at all" isn't really to my taste). Hopefully someone will come along soon who can help you with your specific issues though.

If iTunes creates a neatly named folder/file structure on your PC though, I would have thought that simply copying the whole lot over to your phone should work to get the actual music into the Library, and then you can look into sorting out playlists.

I just Googled it for you, and this thread seems to cover the basics of what you need: http://androidforums.com/threads/itunes-playlists-into-poweramp.276141/. Also http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2012/01/which-player-is-best-for-syncing-to-android/ might help.

Poweramp can use the generic M3U playlist format which is understood by a ton of programs. In its simplest form, it is just a text file listing a bunch of music files and where to find them, although there are other optional things that can be added. The downside is that many programs 'hard code' the path with the song name, meaning that if the file is now located somewhere with a different path, it can't be found.

e.g. a PC with music stored on the D: drive in a folder called "Music MP3s" might create a playlist which looks like this:

D:\Music MP3s\Chillout Moods\CD1\01 Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells.mp3D:\Music MP3s\Chillout Moods\CD1\02 Hevia - Busindre Reel.mp3D:\Music MP3s\Chillout Moods\CD1\03 Sacred Spirit - Heya-Hee.mp3D:\Music MP3s\Chillout Moods\CD1\04 Altan - The Waves Of Gola.mp3D:\Music MP3s\Chillout Moods\CD1\05 Adiemus - Kayama.mp3D:\Music MP3s\Chillout Moods\CD1\06 Chris Hinze - Angel.mp3D:\Music MP3s\Chillout Moods\CD1\08 Amarna - Night Rain.mp3D:\Music MP3s\Chillout Moods\CD1\09 Jon Anderson - Change We Must.mp3
On Android, with the same music files stored on an SD Card in a folder called MusicFolders (named "01 Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells.mp3" etc within the same named subfolders) it might look more like this:

\storage\ExtSdCard\MusicFolders\Chillout Moods\CD1\01 Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells.mp3\storage\ExtSdCard\MusicFolders\Chillout Moods\CD1\02 Hevia - Busindre Reel.mp3\storage\ExtSdCard\MusicFolders\Chillout Moods\CD1\03 Sacred Spirit - Heya-Hee.mp3\storage\ExtSdCard\MusicFolders\Chillout Moods\CD1\04 Altan - The Waves Of Gola.mp3\storage\ExtSdCard\MusicFolders\Chillout Moods\CD1\05 Adiemus - Kayama.mp3\storage\ExtSdCard\MusicFolders\Chillout Moods\CD1\06 Chris Hinze - Angel.mp3\storage\ExtSdCard\MusicFolders\Chillout Moods\CD1\08 Amarna - Night Rain.mp3\storage\ExtSdCard\MusicFolders\Chillout Moods\CD1\09 Jon Anderson - Change We Must.mp3
Poweramp does try to reinterpret absolute paths intelligently so it can find the right music files if possible, so you MIGHT be able to simply copy over a PC-based M3U and have it just work, but it's not guaranteed.

Relative paths will work fine, you just need to make sure that they refer to the same folder tree from the location that you save the playlist file. For example, if you put a playlist.m3u file into my PC's "Music MP3s" folder and the Android SD Card's "MusicFolders" folder, the following content will work perfectly for both systems:

Chillout Moods\CD1\01 Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells.mp3Chillout Moods\CD1\02 Hevia - Busindre Reel.mp3Chillout Moods\CD1\03 Sacred Spirit - Heya-Hee.mp3Chillout Moods\CD1\04 Altan - The Waves Of Gola.mp3Chillout Moods\CD1\05 Adiemus - Kayama.mp3Chillout Moods\CD1\06 Chris Hinze - Angel.mp3Chillout Moods\CD1\08 Amarna - Night Rain.mp3Chillout Moods\CD1\09 Jon Anderson - Change We Must.mp3
A Poweramp user named Theoklink has created a Playlist Management app, but it's a paid app not a freebie. It might help you though? See http://www.playlistmanager.webspace.virginmedia.com/npm/

Andre

some folders are coming across intact, others, not so much.
I can see a certain song if I go to computer, phone, external storage/SD card, music, so I know it's there. However, it will not show up on the list of songs nor in the folder it's supposed to be in.
Clicking on Playlists seem to be totally useless, as they are all empty and several copies of the same empty palylists with numberds after them. Here is what the first 4 items look like:

10,000 Maniacs-In My Tribe

0 songs

10,000 Maniacs-In My Tribe 1

0 songs

10,000 Maniacs-In My Tribe 2

0 songs

10,000 Maniacs-In My Tribe 3

0 songs

Some are even worse, such as:

Alison Krauss & Union Station-1
0 songs

Alison Krauss & Union Station-1 1
0 songs

Alison Krauss & Union Station-1 2
0 songs
Alison Krauss & Union Station-1 3
0 songs

Alison Krauss & Union Station-1 4
0 songs

...and a dozen more of this last one with and without the ampersand and numbered sequentially.
Also, is there any way to turn it off? It seems to always be on, and I can't find a shut off button or switch.

Thanks...

OK, here is a screen shot, 7 playlists of Deja Vu by Crosby Stills Nash & Young. 3 without the ampersand, 4 with it, all empty.
I only have one folder for this album on the SD card, but this is what comes up under paylists.
The folder is intact under Folders, but not all folders are.

it won't let me add a jpeg, how can I show you a screen shot?

You should be able to add a JPG as an attachment here. Or use an image hosting site and then link to your pic using the buttons at the top of the message box.

If you have your playlists in M3U format, could you include an extract here (it's just text).

Andre

How do I put them in M3U format? I didn't import playlists, these empty folders appeared after I put my music on the SD card.

The song lists, when I click on a folder and play an album, are the same track order as the album/CD.

I've gotten the hang of getting my music to play, but I still have to "assemble" the playlists from itunes by adding songs one by one to a folder and uploading that folder to the SD card. Soem import the first time, others take several trys. I can say that I AM learning patience...

I'm going to try to paste the image directly into this window...looks like that won't work. I don't see any buttons for adding a jpeg...I can paste my jpeg into the window, but when I hit send, it tells me that You are not allowed to use that image extension on this community.

I get the same message when I try to paste it as a PNG or GIF file. If I click on the button that says image, it wants a URL. There doesn't seem to BE a way of adding a jpeg through this UI.

Another question; can I pay for this app, assuming I'm going to stick with it, on my computer? I don't trust my phone with my credit card number. (Truthfully, I haven't figured out how to use it for online stuff and I'm more comfortable just using the laptop when paying for things.)

Thanks again,

John

You can try Free Playlist Manager first. However, some functionality has been disabled though. M3u exports are disabled. Reading this thread, i get the feeling that your mp3 tagging is not perfect. My app will certainly show this as it will show garbage in, garbage out. On the downside, you will have to get to grips with yet another app. On the upside, I have a website where everything is explained. I even have a page explaining how to set the folders to scan for Poweramp.

Most people post photos via a photo hosting site first, then just link to them using the IMG tag in the message options bar. But you should be able to upload a small .jpg or .png file as an attachment too.

You can purchase apps via Google Play on your computer, just sign in using the same gmail account that your phone uses and you can install or purchase stuff on the PC and it will automatically download onto your phone by magic.

So you've now managed to get all your music showing correctly in Poweramp's library, but not in your own Playlist order yet? (i.e. you can see and play songs by album, by artist, by folder, etc - but not a personally selected list that you created in iTunes)

Andre

Theoklink: Thank you, where would I find your website? URL? My brain works better when I can read some directions, sometimes over and over, until I work my way through.

Andre: I have my music moved to Poweramp, but the only place it shows up "correctly" is in the folders. The paylists that are in Poweramp just showed up, I never put them there. I haven't tried making my own playlists, other than creating them in a folder beforehand, and loading that folder to my SD card. This "works" well enough that I'll probably wind up paying for the full version, it's certainly better than anything else I've tried.
Can I delete thses rouge palylists without affecting anything else? I assume I can then create my own real playlists within Poweramp? Until then, I can just do it by making folders of songs and uploadoing them.

Right now, I seem to have over a thousand empty playlists that "created" themselves.

Thanks again.

John,

my website can be found here:

http://www.playlistmanager.webspace.virginmedia.com/npm/

My app enables you to delete all android  playlists at once. I would start there. Next, delete the Poweramp playlists. Deleting playlists will not affect your music in any way. In Poweramp create a new playlist. Now reboot your device and check how many playlists you have. You should have only the one you just created. If you have more than one, just so you know, any files with .pla or .m3u or any other valid extension will be recognized by Android/Poweramp Media scanning and treated as a valid playlist, even when the information in it is invalid so it is best to search and delete any such files first, using ES Explorer for instance. 

It is important to understand that Poweramp ( and some other music players) maintains its own media database which includes the playlists which is separate from the Android media database as used by the stock android music player 

You can get in touch through my website if you have specific questions on my app. Any Poweramp questions are best presented on this forum.

Archived