Android Auto Playback

epicstar

Bluetooth media features in current cars... well... suck. Android Auto is Google's and Android Open Handset Alliance's attempt to create the best experience for car infotainment systems without the features becoming a distraction to driving. With the advent of the Android Auto app on the Play Store yesterday, Google has released a documentation for audio playback:

https://developer.android.com/training/auto/audio/index.html

I think adding this to Poweramp would be a great addition. What do others think? I personally think the Android Auto (and Apple Carplay) are hugely underrated.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I would absolutely love for this to be supported. The power amp interface and options are so much better then the google music interface.

Yup... it's why the $5 for the app is absolutely worth it. It'd be weird to pay $5 and not get Android Auto playback though... IMO.

• 5 weeks later...

Yes, I would love Android Auto support for this app. My next car will have it (2016 VW Golf GTI).

There are only a small handful of cars on the streets that support it now, but 2016 models are rolling in within the next few months which means that the growth of Android auto support will be exponential.  I'm talking from about 4 car models to about 30-50 models during the 2016 model year.

• 1 month later...

+1

I feel Android Auto and CarPlay are the new standards for auto "infotainment" systems.  As more and more cars (and head units) support these and more and more drivers use these, they will only get better.

The list of Android Auto-compatible media apps seems to be growing, but only contains mediocre music players compared to Power Amp.

I strongly desire to buy a new head unit that supports this, but until Poweramp supports Android Auto, I really dont want to have to go back to Google Music; Ive been too spoiled by Poweramp. Please get this feature...Ill beg if I have to!

• 3 weeks later...

+1

Get onto this guys. There are currently NO other apps currently available on Android Auto (other than Google Play Music) for playing music stored on your phone. All of the other apps are streaming apps.

Fantastic opportunity for exposure to an emerging market.

• 4 weeks later...

Please develop Poweramp for Android Auto. This is the missing link for Android Auto to really become something special. My car supports Android Auto but I don't use it because it only supports Google Music right now. Most of my music is HD lossless and Bluetooth takes away from the in car listening experience. I want this feature so badly I would gladly pay a higher price to have Poweramp HD playback in the car. Please make this happen ASAP!!

• 3 months later...

+1 from me as well! To be honest this is the reason I signed up for the forums xD Soon I should be getting a Pioneer head unit that's compatible with Android Auto and I'd LOVE if Poweramp was compatible with it. It triumphs over every audio player that's compatible already, so could this please become a thing? :)

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

As there are two threads with this issue....

Another +1 ... I am waiting on delivery of a new car, which will have a media syste which is Android Auto compatible. Would love to be able to keep using the app with this feature.

• 1 month later...

This is a must have feature for this app.  Android auto is really taking off in popularity and BT audio quality is still lacking.

I would love to see Poweramp's fantastic default view with large album art on my Android Auto display.

I think there's also a possibility that Google would approve including an option to have milkdrop visuals play as they could be argued to be more of a passive visual experience or something for passengers to look at rather than something that would draw the direct attention of the driver.

• 2 weeks later...

It would be brilliant to have Android Auto compatibility for this great music player, however, I doubt if Mr.Google, in his wisdom, would allow a different interface on the screen compared to Google Play, which is ghastly. MD Player is AA compatible but has the same Google interface, which completely spoils things. Having said that, it would be a "foot in the door" for the future when things might improve on the Google AA display. One of the things I really like about Poweramp is the screen display, and I would be pleasantly surprised if we would get that at the present time even if Poweramp was compatible.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I prefer Drivemode (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.drivemode.android&hl=en) rather than AndroidAuto. The reason is this supports my favorite music app, Power Amp and Navigation app Waze. AndroidAuto we are limited to use google's own apps for these two functions. Drivemode shows 4.4* user rating and AA shows 3.8* :/

Check DriveMode and let me know as well how much this is user friendly than Android Auto.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

On my new Chevy Volt I am blown away by Android Auto with the exception of Google Play Music and would love to see Poweramp Pro supported under Android Auto. Andoid Auto teamed up with Poweramp Pro - as good as it gets. You can expect a huge uptick in Android Auto users. It's the only way to fly except that Poweramp Pro users are stuck unable to use the best music player in the industry and it is a cluster f*&k switching between Chevy's Mylink and Android Auto interfaces.

Archived