Albums with same name - how to avoid grouping?

scarfy

I been playing all my music by randomly shuffling albums, using the library view. This all works fine, except for when Poweramp comes to albums with the same name. In this case, all the songs are grouped together into one big playlist, which is rather strange. Instead of getting just all the songs from one album, I get all the tracks from each album played one after the other.

In this case, I have albums by Feeder and Basement Jaxx called "The Singles", as well as some singles bought from Amazon from greatest hits albums also called "The Singles".

The results is that Poweramp will play track 1 from Feeder, then track 1 from Basement Jaxx. Then track 2 from Feeder, and then track 2 from Basement Jaxx, and so on, eventually throwing in the random singles when their track number matches.

Has anyone else encountered this? Is there a way around it?

Is this what the album artist tag is suppose to solve..?

Could changing the list view settings in the Album library view fix things? Right now, I've got it set to "By Name". If I use "By Artist" will that cure the issue, or will that have no impact..?

As long as your music is sensibly organised on your device (with a tidy artist/album folder layout) you could use Folders to get around this issue in the meantime.

Or just change the assigned names of the problem albums - e.g. don't call several albums just "Greatest Hits", but use "Queen's Greatest Hits", "Elton John's Greatest Hits", etc in the title tag instead. A bulk tag editor would allow you to do that very quickly.

Andre

The second option is how I'm going to solve it.

To keep things tidy on the player screen, I've gone with:

"Greatest Hits" -> "Greatest Hits (Queen)"

"The Singles" -> "The Singles (Basement Jaxx)"

"The Singles" -> "The Singles (Feeder)"

Cheers

Pretty please with cherries on top can we get an Album Artist tag, i have been having the same issue as the OP and it is extremely frustrating especially when it comes to albums with Various Artists and it is probably the only thing stopping me from telling everyone to buy this app (my son actually uninstalled the trial after realising it had issues with Various Artist and like named albums), aside from that i love it :)

Pretty please with cherries on top can we get an Album Artist tag, i have been having the same issue as the OP and it is extremely frustrating especially when it comes to albums with Various Artists and it is probably the only thing stopping me from telling everyone to buy this app (my son actually uninstalled the trial after realising it had issues with Various Artist and like named albums), aside from that i love it :)

+1000!

Dave

You do not need album artist tag, it is simply the query that return the albums which needs expanding eg with album ="something" sort by artist by track no.

my app Playlist Manager by theoklink has a custom query builder which will allow you to create the playlists you want

I realise i could use a playlist, but i am not about to go through 1000's of albums making playlists when nothing else i use needs them and yes i could use folders, this is not what we are asking for, we simply want Poweramp to recognise the Album Artist tag, is that so hard??

we simply want PowerAmp to recognise the Album Artist tag, is that so hard??

This has been on people's request lists for a couple of years now, and hopefully will be supported on the next major release, whenever that comes. See http://forum.powerampapp.com/index.php?/topic/6782-poweramp-30-vaporware/?p=25593 for Max's most recent update.

Andre

Been looking at this some more and thought I'd found something, adding the 'compilation' tag. Nope ... PA still does not recognise the 'album artist'. To be frank, not many players do and it could well have been an Android issue initially, though that appears to be fixed now. I have found that 'Gonemad' works correctly with the AA tag though.

I've never seen anything from Max on this issue so far. Perhaps he could comment on th elack of the AA tag and why that's so ('not considered important during development' is a reasonable excuse ... :-)   ).

Ta

• 3 months later...

I have read many posts on the Album Artist Tag on this forum. Many Poweramp users are asking for this tag to be available. Well, to help my Poweramp user friends I have further developed my New Playlist Manager app

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.flyingdutchman.newplaylistmanager&hl=en

to provide functionality where you can build your own query from selected mp3 tags (Album Artist Included!!) as well as sorting this playlist in any way you like.

The app integrates with Poweramp in that it shows the Poweramp specific Rating and Times Played tags. Export to m3u format and you are ready to go.

Archived