How do I play music folder by folder (the _actual_ folders on the storage)?

MrZwyrol

Hi all,

Seems that I couldn't find the anwser anywhere, so I'm posting here.

I've been using Poweramp for 1,5 years on my previous HTC phone and had it configured to play the music folder by folder - exactly by the actual folders on the smartphone storage. I've migrated to a newer phone, and now I can't seem to figure out how to make Poweramp play back my music in the exactly same way: the <<< and >>> buttons are inresponsive, and I can't sort the files to have the app play them in the order of actual folders (which is very frustrating, since some folders contain my personal mixes of different artists from different albums). I simply can't sort it out to work as it had before.

Oh, and a step-by-step guide through the necessary settings would be much appreciated with a huge, sweaty pitcher of virtual beer. :P

First, make sure you have all the relevant song folders on your device selected in Poweramp Settings > Folders and Library > Music Folders.

Then, you need to be using 'Folders' playback mode rather than Library. In the Folders display list, press Menu > List Options and configure your Sort and View options as per your old setup (I use 'By path' as my folder sort order).

Then click on any folder in that list to see its track contents and do the same Menu > List Options selection process (I sort by Filename at this level).

Then select any song to commence playing using those settings. Check that Shuffle is turned off, and Repeat is set to 'Advance List' (tap the icons at the bottom of the album art area).

Andre

Yup, that worked. Thank you!

This method is especially useful if you have your own compilations in specific folders and do not want to mess with creating and editing playlists every time you add or remove files or whole subfolders, as it is in my case.

Absolutely, I much prefer the fine-control of being able to name and sort my albums and tracks exactly as I want using the folder and file names, but still having the ability to view the proper tag contents (Artist, Album name, etc) within the player and track list screens. Perfect way to work in my opinion. Glad I could help you.

Andre

Archived